Hello, I used to have an iphone app, maybe 8 years ago called ipassword.

jjwattsagile
jjwattsagile
Community Member

Have a password back up file. Is 1password anything to do with the old ipassword? If not any ideas how i go about restoring the back up file?
many thanks
jason

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:ipassword

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jjwattsagile: I'm sorry for the confusion. This is the AgileBits support forum for 1Password. "ipassword" is a copycat app which, as far as I know, is now defunct. We don't know anything about it apart from that, and I'm not sure there's anyone else out there who does either, unless you can track down its original developer(s). We can help you with 1Password if you have questions about that though. :blush:

• jjwattsagile
    jjwattsagile
    Community Member

yes, I thought that was the case. thanks Brenty. If you do come across any information regarding restoring a backup from a now defunct app that would be great.
    otherwise thanks anyway.
    Jason

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You should be able to pull it off of a device backup...but what to do with it then is anyone's guess unfortunately. :(

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

I remember that! When I first started working for AgileBits (then Agile Web Solutions), I remember getting a support query from someone using "ipassword". I was baffled by the app behavior they were describing, and it was only after I had them send in a screenshot did I realize what was going on.

But I've got no idea about how recoverable data is from that mimic app. Sorry.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

Unfortunately there is room for error when Apple allows "fake" apps with Agilebits app icons and similar sounding names. No support whatsoever.

Look up "Password Manager Vault" with the Agilebits "1Password" icon..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

@wkleem: There appear to be three similar apps by the same developer, but no way to "report" them.

I don't envy the job Apple has undertaken with regard to managing the App Store, but I do wish they'd remove copycat apps. Every time someone with the now extinct "iPassword" comes to us for help because they can't access their data it really drives home that this hurts customers arguably more than it does our trademark. :(

@jpgoldberg: We're hearing from people about it a lot more now that it is gone from the App Store after not being updated for iOS 11...which of course means data loss for anyone using it...

This discussion has been closed.