category names - again - may be ad nauseam....

luispsimoes
luispsimoes
Community Member

I am sorry to bring this again.... but I love 1Password and it is completely not understandable to me why we can't change the name of the categories.... You have a product that should be used WW and not only in the US... for instance
** National Insurance Numbers... why national?... what about letting me call it "Insurance Numbers"? or "Organisations" etc etc
For instance: I have contracts with several energy providers (for heating, for electricity, to sell the solar energy I produced etc etc). The template fits most of the fields... but is called National Insurance Numbers.... (How many do I need?....)

In Europe the NIS are not as important --- there are other primary identification means... eg "IDENTITY CARD".....
Or... so many of us have Insurance policies... health, legal, life, etc etc... so why not an Insurance category?.... what was the reason not to include it?

but I am not asking you to include... just let us change the category names?... what on earth is making it not possible to change the name?
what have you hard coded in the program that doesn't let it be changed?
why do yo have to have the categories names fixed????

TIA
Luis

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:category names

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@luispsimoes: 1Password is a Canadian product, made by AgileBits based in Toronto. Certainly many people outside of North America use it, but when these templates were created a decade ago that was not the case. These are hard coded into the local vault data formats. If you're using local vaults, this probably won't change. But with 1Password.com memberships, we've built things to be more flexible under the hood so that perhaps we'll be able to have custom templates in a future version. It's something we'd really like ourselves, so hopefully we'll be able to find a good way of doing this in the future without breaking things for those of us using 1Password today. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

• luispsimoes
    luispsimoes
    Community Member

Hi Brenty, thanks for the response. Yep I understand... and as mentioned I do love 1Password... and exactly because I love it, I would wish to see it adapt.
    I appreciate it is over 10 years... but again one cannot expect the one size fits all, even if it is only for US and Canada... eg how do you enter items like I mentioned: " Energy Provider Contract", "Insurance policies" etc... they are valid also for Canada and US....

Anyhow, not going to repeat :-)....

But there is a point that did raise my attention in what you said: I bought 1Password in the App Store (separately for Mac and then iOS) - which is what I am using now.
    What is the difference between what I am using and the "subscription" version? eg in Functionality?
    Are you also saying that the "local vault" version is not going to be updated in features? (as compared to the subscription version)?

Cheers
    Luis

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hey @luispsimoes - brenty is gone for the day, so I thought I'd jump in here. The standalone version of 1Password apps and 1Password.com both use the same apps. There are a number of differences between standalone 1Password and 1password.com accounts. The overall difference is in the flexibility we're able to add due to having control of both the client 1Password apps and the server in 1password.com accounts.

We definitely intend to continue offering both standalone vault capability and 1Password.com memberships, but you will notice some discrepancies in the functionality between the two of them due to the extra features we're able to add only because we can write them to integrate server-side in the case of 1password.com accounts. There are already such features, like account recovery for members of a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account. Such features simply aren't possible in standalone 1Password, and you will see more of such things. That doesn't mean we're abandoning standalone 1Password or even that we're focusing exclusively on 1password.com to the detriment of standalone 1Password, it just underscores that one of the main reasons we wanted to create the 1Password.com service in the first place is that there were features and advancements we wanted to bring to our users that we knew simply weren't possible with standalone 1Password. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• luispsimoes
    luispsimoes
    Community Member

Hi Lars, thanks
    ok.
    One suggestion / comment: I understand and know very well (believe me...) all the conditions and needs behind a subscription model... and I know that somehow a team needs funds to continue development... so a suggestion could be to add a "support fee" eg a % of the cost of the perennial version so that everyone that has that version (aka local vault) continue to be served....
    that would solve your (agile bits) and our problem of making sure things keep updated and there is a team in place....

I, for instance, would be ok with it... as at this moment I do not want to go on to a subscription model, but still want to have you guys there....

cheers
    Luis

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@luispsimoes Thanks for your feedback. I'm not sure whether you mean "support" as in: a fee to cover the cost of customer support like what we do here on the forum and via our email, or whether you mean "support" as in: a fee to cover the developer hours required to continue developing older versions of 1Password, or possibly even something else. However, that's exactly why I don't think you'll see such a thing -- because it's hard to pin down exactly what is meant by that and even harder to apply it in a way that feels fair to all users -- or even to us.

In traditional fee-for-license software development where there are free in-version updates and paid full version upgrades, the initial cost of the license that's paid by the buyer isn't actually for the product they receive -- though that's the convention/assumption. By the time you buy any software, the development and design and testing costs that went into the product you actually receive have already been absorbed by the developer. Instead, your money goes toward what the developer is working on now -- the next version of that software, ongoing customer support costs of existing versions, etc. Of course, it's the developers' job to make sure that they price their software appropriately so they can sustain those costs while working towards the next iteration. But at its base, that's what license purchases actually go towards: funding development of future versions (which are being developed in the present), and support for existing versions.

In the case of 1Password specifically, since both a standalone setup and a 1Password account use the same apps, it isn't as if subscribing to an account causes the funds to go ONLY into 1password.com development; the apps themselves are included all 1password.com account subscriptions, so some of the subscription costs go to developing those very same apps that are used by standalone users. And likewise, the purchase price of each 1Password license goes to developing those same apps.

• luispsimoes
    luispsimoes
    Community Member

I work in a similar environment... so yes I know when I buy the costs have been absorbed. What I mean is what many companies do ie people pay the initial SW (perennial license) and then a yearly fee that goes into the dev and support of the product functionality .... and with that the ones paying get the right to get updates, and if they don't pay they can't upgrade when there are new versions... but that support fee is used to continue development
    that way you can have both models...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@luispsimoes - Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't what you're describing essentially the very way a subscription works? Pay annually a set amount, which gives you full functionality? I mean, there are other aspects to our own subscription model that people may or may not be in favor of (such as using the 1Password.com hosted/sync service) which might bear on an individual's decision of whether to go with an account or standalone, but since you weren't talking about those, I guess I'm not seeing the difference here if we're only talking about payment methods.

Currently, the cost of a 1Password for Mac standalone license is $64.99. That allows the buyer to license 1Password on as many Macs as they own/use. The current version is 6.8.5. When 1Password 7 for Mac is released, that will be a separate upgrade purchase for those who want the upgrades available in the newest version. We don't know what the upgrade costs will be quite yet, but whoever wants to pay for a standalone license will be able to do so and will receive a license key for the new version. Anyone who has an existing license but does not wish to pay for the new version will be able to continue to use their existing license for as long as they have hardware and versions of macOS on which it will run. We still occasionally see people who are rocking OS X 10.7.5 and using 1Password 3 for Mac. Their sync options are quite limited, but as long as they're not unhappy, they can continue using it forever that way. Why would such a person want to pay an annual "support fee," especially if they're opposed to the idea of a subscription?

I guess I'm not understanding where you're going with this. Support - as in Customer Support - is built into any purchase of 1Password. If a version gets TOO old, we may rotate it into legacy status and therefore out of support, as we have done with the original 1Password and 1Password 2 for Mac...but that's not for several years. But for example, we don't plan to continue development on 1Password 3 for Mac, because even though we will currently provide customer support for it, our development energy goes into the current - and future, still-in-development - versions.

• luispsimoes
    luispsimoes
    Community Member

It is a subscription! But one for support eg it costs for instance 20% of the price of the full version, per year...
    Like that you can bring incremental features

If someone doesn’t pay for the maintenance subscription then they can’t upgrade... if they do, they can when a new minor version comes - so no one *has to * —- they can if they want

Advantages ? Well for the user it is cheaper , for you it brings provably more revenue because more uses would be paying it regularly and allows for planning the financial year

The current subscription price means almost one full version per year .... that’s something many I assume will ask if it is needed eg may be I can live with upgrading every 2 years

I am trying to help here to get a way that you guarantee functionality at a reasonable cost

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@luispsimoes - Thanks for taking the time to engage in this conversation. We're well aware we're not the only ones with good ideas, which is why we're thankful to have such an engaged user-base: you guys keep us on our toes, pushing to make 1Password the best we can make it. That applies to not just the code, but everything else about 1Password, from the design to the pricing to customer support. We're truly grateful for every bit of feedback or suggestion we receive - good, bad or just informational. So thanks for being a part of that; I will definitely bring this up internally. Happy New Year, and enjoy the rest of your week!

• luispsimoes
    luispsimoes
    Community Member

Lars
    THANKS to You for the great conversation! All the best to you and agile bits too
    Luis

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@luispsimoes: If it helps put things into perspective, an individual 1Password.com membership paid annually is almost exactly half the cost of purchasing the standalone versions of 1Password for Mac and iOS. I think that's a reasonable comparison since a lot of people seem to use Apple products together, many to the exclusion of Windows and Android. So we're kind of already offering what you're talking about...just with some additional features (and all of the apps) which are only possible with a hosted service like this. Cheers! ;)

This discussion has been closed.