1Password Desktop App Not Letting Me Login

Options

Hello 1Password Staff and Users,

I'm having trouble logging in to my desktop app. The web app master password works fine. I've tried re-installing 1Password for Windows and get the same issue.

I'm not sure if this is because I reset my password (begin recovery) and the 1Password desktop app is keeping my old secret key. The only thing that shows up on the desktop app is an input field for my master password. Any ideas?

Thank you,

1Password Version: 6.8
Extension Version: 492
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nosaj
    nosaj
    Community Member
    Options

I too am having the exact same issue after resetting my password (begin recovery). Logging in using the web works fine but even after re-installing 1Password for Windows, logging in using the app is a fail. Looking forward to the resolution.
    Thanks.
    1Password Version: 6.8
    Extension Version: 492
    OS Version: Windows
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• nosaj
    nosaj
    Community Member
    Options

Update:
    I tried this and it worked:
    1. Uninstall the 1Password desktop application.
    2. Open %LOCALAPPDATA%\ and deleted 1Password. (This folder was left behind after uninstalling.)
    3. Reinstalled 1Password for Windows application.
    4. Open 1Password for Windows. I can now enter the usual items required when installing the app the first time (sign-in address, email address, secret key, master password).

• sscodyewatson
    sscodyewatson
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, that makes sense. It would be nice to get a confirmation from 1Password staff, but I'm guessing it keeps the old secret key so it's not letting you login.

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member
    Options

@sscodyewatson

Another user here but make sure you delete the 1Password folder from LOCALAPPDATA. Ensure that you've quit 1Password from the tray (next to the clock) before doing this.

Then launch 1Password and you're good to go.

• sscodyewatson
    sscodyewatson
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Yeah, haven't tried it yet. I'm trying to get it on all employees computers and a few have had this issue so I'm scheduling them today, tomorrow, and next week. I'll keep this thread updated. Thank you, both!

• MikeT
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi guys,

Thanks for writing in and helping out.

Just to be clear, the master password for the main 1Password app and the account's master password isn't the same thing and do not trash the 1Password folder in any situation.

If you've begun the recovery, you'd still be able to unlock the app with the original master password. However, if you forgot the master password completely and reset it on the web site, then yes, for the moment; you'd need to reset the local database by right-clicking on 1Password icon to select exit and rename the data folder in the %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password.

We plan to update the app in the future to detect a recovered account and prompt for the new password without having to unlock with the main app's password (assuming the recovery account is the only account in the app as other accounts might be signed in).

• sscodyewatson
    sscodyewatson
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, this worked for me. Thanks!

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.