Trying to move my vault from iCloud to Dropbox, having problems with a merge dialog

TimFromEarth
TimFromEarth
Community Member

I was using iCloud to sync my vault and I have 2 MacBook Pros (work and personal). The new work MPB was having problems syncing to iCloud because it couldn't establish a stable session. So I'm moving my vault to Dropbox and updating all my devices to sync the vault with Dropbox.

I was able to change the setting on the work MBP and now trying to do the same on my personal machine. When I get into Preferences, go to Sync, look at my one vault which is the Primary one, and change the sync service to Dropbox, a dialog comes up to ask where my Dropbox folder is. I pick the folder, it finds the .opvault file, and message in bold shows:

"1Password found existing data in Dropbox. It will be merged with your current vault."

which makes sense. I click "Merge with Existing" and the dialog changes to:

1Password detected that the data in the Primary vault is different from the data you selected in Dropbox.
(red) Please review theinformation below before deciding to merge

The "current vault" shows last sync was 7 days ago, and "Vault found in Dropbox" shows sync was today. Password hints are the same for both. The dialog asks me to enter the vault password for the Dropbox vault.

Anything I type in the textbox for vault password just causes a "beep" sound when I try to click "Unlock and Merge". Right password, wrong password, nothing works. Even clicking the "Cancel" button on that dialog causes the "beep" sound. I seem be trapped on this dialog. I can't even quit 1Password. The only way to get out of it is to lock my vault so that the Sync preference gets disabled.

I searched around but couldn't find any other topics regarding a unlock and merge dialog that can't be cancelled.

I checked for app updates and 1Password says I'm up to date. Version is 6.8.5 (685004)

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:merge vault dialog

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @TimFromEarth! Sorry you're having difficulties with switching your sync method over to Dropbox just now, but thanks for the detailed description of what's going wrong!

I can't tell for sure, but it sounds as if you may have created more than one OPVault sync keychain (or perhaps there was an existing one already in Dropbox). We've actually got a great guide for troubleshooting Dropbox sync, as well as another more general one for setting up Dropbox sync. You should be able, between the two of those, to get Dropbox sync up and running, but let us know if you run into further issues or have any follow-up questions. Happy syncing!

• TimFromEarth
    TimFromEarth
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. I spent time looking over the troubleshooting guide, make sure Dropbox app was up to date, but no avail. Since I am able to sync from other devices, I figured I could reset all my 1Password data on the laptop where sync isn't working. However, there is a dialog with a confirmation code that needs to be typed in, and I had an issue there. It was the same problem as the dialog where I had to enter the password of the vault that was found in Dropbox, but I wasn't able to type or do anything in the dialog.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Dropbox throughly, using a new download to reinstall it. That got me working again.

I think there may have been an issue when I updated the OS to High Sierra that corrupted the ability to choose Dropbox as a sync method on this laptop.

I just wanted to update and say thanks for the help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TimFromEarth - Well, I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I helped you get things squared away, but since you appear to have solved the problem by yourself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not. Thanks for the update. That's excellent news!

So, congratulations! Keep an eye on things and please let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being a 1Password customer!

This discussion has been closed.