To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Managing access to data with 1Password Families

This discussion was created from comments split from: membership subscription upgrade.

Comments

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member

How do family accounts control who has access to what data?

Meaning, is there one user who can access everything, for every user, but the other users only have access to their own stuff, as the 'master' user dictates?

I currently have a single subscription, just for myself, although I have my stuff and my dad's stuff in separate vaults. What I was thinking of doing, is upgrading to a family account so my dad could access his stuff from his own computer, and I could access everything (both his and mine) from my computer. At least until he learns how to use 1P on his own. Is this possible? If so, how does it work?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mr. Laser Beam: With 1Password Families (or Teams), each member has their own account as part of the plan, which includes a Personal/Private vault which only they can access, as well as access to any vaults shared with them. By default, 1Password Families has a Shared vault which is available to all family members, and then additional vaults can be created and shared with one, all, or none of the other members. But based on your comments, I wonder if inviting your father as a guest might be better in the short term. That way he will not need to know your Master Password, and will have access to only a single vault you share with his account. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

So if I invite my dad as a guest, I would install the 1P apps on his Mac and iOS devices, but he would not need to know a master password to access any vaults I share with him?

Meaning, if he's on his Mac and using a browser, then clicking on the 1P icon would grant him immediate access to the vault, and when using the macOS or iOS native apps, he'd get it immediately upon launch, without being asked for any password?

• alecyu
    alecyu
    Community Member

Thank you for the assistance on membership upgrade. I also interested in Laser Beam Q though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alecyu: Sure thing! :)

So if I invite my dad as a guest, I would install the 1P apps on his Mac and iOS devices, but he would not need to know a master password to access any vaults I share with him?

@Mr. Laser Beam: Correct. He'll still have his own account as a part of your 1Password Families plan. But as a guest account, he won't have a Personal/Private vault, only a single vault you've shared with him.

Meaning, if he's on his Mac and using a browser, then clicking on the 1P icon would grant him immediate access to the vault, and when using the macOS or iOS native apps, he'd get it immediately upon launch, without being asked for any password?

Right. He'll choose his own Master Password when setting up his account. So he'll setup the apps on his own devices with that account, so he can access the data in the shared vault. Cheers! :)

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member

OK, I get it now. I thought he would have access to the vault (from his machines) without having to know any password to get at it. I thought that was a bit insecure. :lol:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member

@brenty, I just noticed something. When I mentioned possibly moving to the family plan so I could add my dad, you said this:

I wonder if inviting your father as a guest might be better in the short term. That way he will not need to know your Master Password

Does this mean that, on the family plan, family members (not guests) need to know the administrator's master password? Why would they need to know that? Wouldn't they just choose their own, like a guest would? As I understand it, the difference between a guest and a family member is basically just the vaults they have access to.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

OK, I get it now. I thought he would have access to the vault (from his machines) without having to know any password to get at it. I thought that was a bit insecure. :lol:

@Mr. Laser Beam: Ah, indeed, sorry about that! yeah, that would terrify me too. :lol:

Does this mean that, on the family plan, family members (not guests) need to know the administrator's master password?

Wow. The way I phrased that was terrible. Sorry! The answer is no. Definitely don't give anyone your Master Password. It's also unnecessary, since you could just make them an Organizer so they can help perform recovery for you or any other family member.

Why would they need to know that? Wouldn't they just choose their own, like a guest would? As I understand it, the difference between a guest and a family member is basically just the vaults they have access to.

What I meant was that in comparison to sharing your own account with your father, setting him up with a guest account will mean he doesn't have to know (or remember, or type) your Master Password. The same is true though if you give him a regular family member account too. I just stupidly lumped the two together: separate account from you, and also guest account.

Guests and regular family members are the same for the most part: they'll each have their own account with a Master Password they choose, and can access a vault you share with them. The difference is that a guest is limited to a single vault you expressly give them access to, and nothing else; whereas a regular family member has their own personal vault, and access to any number you share with them.

I hope that helps clarify things. Again, I apologize for causing confusion there! :blush:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

I screwed up too, actually, as I just now realized that my own phrasing implied that I was going to share my entire account... I definitely did not intend to do that. I would just keep the same vaults I have now (one for my stuff, one for my dad's) but just share the latter one with his guest account.

Edit: I seem to have hijacked @alecyu's thread, I apologize for that as well :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mr. Laser Beam: Ah, well then I'm glad we've both managed to get on the same page, in spite of ourselves! :lol:

I've split us off into a separate discussion since this is actually a really specific, interesting topic on its own. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.