"Open and Fill" launches different browser

Options
Tipperon
Tipperon
Community Member

macOS 10.13.2 on iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)
1Password 6.8.5 (685004)
Firefox 57.0.4 with 1Password Extension 4.6.12.90

There are times when my default browser (Safari) isn't working on a website, so I have to use a different one. In this case it was Firefox. I launch Firefox, open the 1Password extension, find the entry I want, then click "open and Fill". What I expect is that 1Password will go to the URL using the browser where the extension is installed. Instead, what actually happens is a different browser is launched.

Is there a way to make this work the way I want, or am I stuck with having "Open and Fill" only work with my default browser?

1Password Version: 6.8.5 (685004)
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.2
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Hey @Tipperon! Open and fill is indeed set to use the default browser. That's not something that can be changed right now I'm afraid, but you're welcome to simply open Firefox for that website and use the 1Password extension there to fill your username and password as you would for any other website. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Tipperon,

Following up to what Jacob suggested, here's something you can try:

1. Open a non-default browser (with the 1Password extension installed).
    2. Show 1Password mini, using the Option-Command-\ keyboard shortcut or by clicking the 1Password button in the browser toolbar.
    3. Select a Login item for the site you want to visit, e.g. by clicking its title under the Logins menu or tapping the Return key on it in search results. This will open the page for that site and try to fill there, in your non-default browser (or default, if it's currently active).

In other words, don't choose open and fill in the item details because that will always use your default browser.

I hope that's helpful – it's a bit tougher to explain than actually doing it. :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

This discussion has been closed.