Help me understand difference between "Documents" and "Secure Notes"

chrisbog
chrisbog
Community Member

Ever since 1 Password changed how secure notes work, I'm have been very confused. Basically, I have a secure note that includes a .PDF of a eyeglass prescription. When I add that to the secure notes, it also appears in documents.

So I'm wondering, should I not use secure notes? or Should I only use documents?

It doesn't seem to be as intuitive before and I would really like to understand the best practices.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

@chrisbog

Secure Notes and Documents are different things.

• A Secure Note is a free-text [no fields] entry dialogue that allows you to enter any text that you want to, e.g. a confidential memo to yourself.

• A Document is exactly that: an external file. You might want to upload an important insurance document or title deeds as an example.

If you're uploading an eyeglass prescription then that's obviously a document but you're uploading it via a secure note. Whilst this an acceptable way of doing it, it's illogical. A Secure Note is incapable of storing your prescription so it has to upload it as a separate document.

The only time you should use a Secure Note to upload a document is where you want to write explanatory notes as well such as "my next appointment is due XX/XX/XXXX". Then you can upload your prescription and have a record of your notes - the two will be linked together.

If you just want to upload your prescription just upload it as a document.

Whichever method you choose your data is safe.

• chrisbog
    chrisbog
    Community Member

OK!!!! Thanks is perfect. I used to use Secure Notes and added attachments to them, but I now see what you are saying. Thank you! This really clarified it.

• Hey @chrisbog! So glad to hear darrenNZ helped out here — his post is spot on. :) If you have some other questions down the road, just let us know!

This discussion has been closed.