Why do certain websites never seem to work with 1Password

I have been wondering about this for a long time and finally want to try to figure it out.

Certain web sites seem just to now work with the automatic login feature of 1Password. An example is British Airways at https://www.britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_us.

I go to BA and I click 1Password in Safari and select my login. The password but not the username will be filled in and a return is entered. I am taken to a "Sorry" page where I can then successfully enter my login by using 1Password.

Same thing on American Airlines.

If I try to reserve the password by going to the original page and filling in the username and password and then doing a "Save New Password" and either saving a new password or updating the old password, the result is the same the next time I try to go and log in to the site.

My guess is that this is a by design by the web site, not any problem or issue with 1Password. It would be great to be able to find a workaround.

I know that I could just use the sorry page as the URL for the password but normally I go to the first login page and then the password entry doesn't work and I have to go to the 2nd page.

Thanks for any assistance you might be able to provide.

Bryan

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member

@bryanschmiedeler

Delete the login from 1Password but ensure you have the credentials stored in a text editor.

Now navigate to the website, fill in all the details and then Save the Login through the 1Password browser extension.

After this, click to login into the website.

1Password should save some hidden additional detail about the form which should allow you to login automatically.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bryanschmiedeler: It really depends on the website. Some adhere to web standards, some...not so much.

Curiously, I'm not seeing any login form at the URL you linked. But I found a link to a login page there:

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/loginr/public/en_us?source=PHP-Register-Top

I didn't have any trouble saving and filling a login there using 1Password. In many cases manually saving a new login for the site will allow 1Password to save additional information from the form to fill better. Just try these steps to save the login manually:

1. Navigate to the website
    2. Enter your login credentials
    3. Click the 'keyhole' icon to bring up the extension
    4. Click the 'gear' icon for Settings
    5. Click Save New Login
    6. Give it a name and Save
    7. Close the webpage and select your new login from the extension to have 1Password Go & Fill
    8. Submit the form manually if you have autosubmit disabled

That will also work for American Airlines, but it's important to note that they seem to have two login pages which work differently:

https://www.aa.com

https://www.aa.com/loyalty/login

A login saved in 1Password on one page will not work reliably at the other because of this. But if you save a login at the page you use most, you'll be able to have 1Password fill for you there going forward. Just follow the same instructions above, and let me know if you have any questions. :)

• bryanschmiedeler
    bryanschmiedeler
    Community Member

@darrenNZ, I was able to get the login to work after completely deleting the login, not updating it! I am thrilled.

@brenty, I am not sure why the first link didn't come through correctly, if you just go to the BA home page there is a log in at the very top of the screen. I do understand the point about two different pages having two different logins. @darrenNZ's solution will work for AA as well.

Thanks so much to both of you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for letting us know that helped, but also reporting these issues in the first place! I was aware of AA, but the other is new to me. And it always helps to know what we need to prioritize. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.