Feature Request: Password Order

Options
jordan_m
jordan_m
Community Member

There are some sites where I have multiple accounts. In some cases, over 10 accounts. It appears that the order that passwords are displayed is a cross between random and alphabetical. (It's not strictly alphabetical based on my observations.)

As a suggestion, here is what I believe should be the correct order for displaying multiple passwords on a site:

1. Favourites first (sounds obvious but surprisingly this is not the case)
  2. Last used (when was this password last used)
  3. If the same last used date (unlikely) alphabetical

If you really want to give choice to a user have a switch in the Preferences to toggle between last used first and alphabetical. In all cases though, favourites should appear first because, now this bit gets tricky, they are your favourites.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jordan_m: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion there! In fact, 1Password already does pretty much what you want, except there's one thing you're not taking into account: the URL! :sunglasses:

You're on the right track there, but 1Password will prioritize exact URL matches (your login + the website you're at). Favorites will be at the top for those, with inexact matches shown below that. All other things being equal, the items will be sorted alphabetically.

We don't plan on changing this as it makes 1Password much more usable for sites where there are multiple logins, but if you often find yourself thinking the one you want is too far down the list, check its URL, as you may want to update it to better reflect where you use it most. That will ensure that it gets priority in the list.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jordan_m
    jordan_m
    Community Member
    Options

I guess the confusion is when you have multiple sub-domains for the same real account. A great example is with Apple where I have multiple accounts for various profiles and these are over multiple sub-domains.
    - itunesconnect.apple.com
    - developer.apple.com
    - appleid.apple.com
    - daw.apple.com
    - secure1.store.apple.com
    - icloud.com

All of the above domains are ones that you use your Apple ID to log in to. Because you use the full URL rather than the domain my most common account (the one I have favourited) only appears for one of these and I have to drill down to find it when logging in to the others.

I still think that the option of having them in last used order rather than alphabetical would be preferable to many users especially those who have multiple accounts. In the example above with Apple, I have about 10 different accounts (some are mine and some are family members that I do "tech support" for).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jordan_m: Exactly! I try to steer away from talking about "subdomain" and "TLD" since it isn't helpful to folks reading this who aren't into this stuff, but that's the crux of it. I'm in the same boat there with Apple, Google, and a lot of others I'm forgetting.

Sorting based on frequency of use, is a good idea, and one that's been requested and considered before. It may be something we do. But the thing that's bad about it is it is less predictable in many ways. I have a few sites when I am used to the order my logins appear, and I can almost select the one I want blindfolded. But that doesn't work if the order changes after I use them! As annoying as it would be to me, to many users it would be completely baffling and infuriating.

I'm not sure what the best solution is here, but it's something we'll continue to evaluate as we develop future versions of 1Password and its browser integration. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

• jordan_m
    jordan_m
    Community Member
    Options

There are a couple of possible options here. Firstly can you match by TLD rather than full URL?

Secondly, having a switch in the settings to sort by last used or alphabetical (default) would let those that want to have it displayed that way. In the vast majority of the cases most people have one password (sorry, no pun intended) for one site. The second most common case would be one password for multiple Sub-domains on the same TLD. The final case that gets a small number of users for a small number of sites is the multiple passwords, multiple sub domains usecase.

In any case, no doubt you’ve mused on passwords a lot more than I have or ever will but just giving you my 2¢ on how it would improve things for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

There are a couple of possible options here. Firstly can you match by TLD rather than full URL?

@jordan_m: This is how 1Password works. But it sounds like you want 1Password to ignore subdomains. Is that correct? You can get a similar result by enabling "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" in Preferences > Browsers. Let me know if that helps.

Secondly, having a switch in the settings to sort by last used or alphabetical (default) would let those that want to have it displayed that way. In the vast majority of the cases most people have one password (sorry, no pun intended) for one site. The second most common case would be one password for multiple Sub-domains on the same TLD. The final case that gets a small number of users for a small number of sites is the multiple passwords, multiple sub domains usecase.

I hear you, but as you can probably tell from my suggestion above, having a bunch of settings gets pretty confusing. We already have too many, for the vast majority of users they only add confusion, it's hard to take them away after they've been added. So we try to be very careful about adding more complexity, both for the user experience and also because they can introduce bugs.

In any case, no doubt you’ve mused on passwords a lot more than I have or ever will but just giving you my 2¢ on how it would improve things for me.

Honestly, I think it's really important that we challenge our assumptions. At the end of the day, while I disagree that the use cases you listed above are common, they're excellent examples of stuff we need to consider. If we can find a way to make 1Password better for you and help many others at the same time without making the experience worse overall, I'd call that a win. I'm not sure what the future will bring in this case, but because of our privacy model if you don't tell us how you're using 1Password we will never know. So thank you! :chuffed:

• BrunoBronosky
    BrunoBronosky
    Community Member
    Options

Instead of splitting hairs about subdomains, can we at least agree that favorites need to be at the top? Is there anyone who is going to complain about the login they intentionally put a start beside being at the top? Let's hear that argument, address it, then fix the bug. It is a bug. There is an order of operations error in the sorting algorithm.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BrunoBronosky - thanks for weighing in on this topic. Part of this issue is that we're simultaneously trying to make sure this experience of sorting and searching is consistent across four platforms as well as our web app. People are used to finding or seeing things in the same order everywhere. That's not to say there isn't anything to be done here, just that it's not necessarily as simple as it might seem from just a glance.

As brenty mentioned in a previous reply, we're thankful users like you take the time to share their experiences with 1Password with us (positive or negative) because otherwise it's often somewhere between difficult and impossible to know otherwise, except from our own experience of using our various apps. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

• BrunoBronosky
    BrunoBronosky
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I agree with the need for consistency. I can't think of a platform where a user would think "when I mark something as a favorite here, I don't really mean it." So, yeah make a favorite, a favorite (on top) everywhere. That would be great. Or do you know of some tiny but powerful cabal of people who want their favorites to be hard to find? I mean, I don't want to tell you how to make money. If someone has come to you and said, "I prefer my favorites hidden and I'm willing to pay you enough to make it worth inconveniencing everyone else," I say "take their money". But otherwise, consider the money the rest of us give you to be votes for convenience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BrunoBronosky: Indeed, the support of everyone not requesting that we change the way that 1Password has worked for them for over a decade could probably be counted as a vote in favour of preferring exact matches to inexact. And we actually get a lot of feedback on that from web developers who want it to be even more strict, down to ports and subfolders. More importantly, as a user, when you set the URL for a login item, you are "voting" on how it should be matched. You seem to be overlooking how much control you have over the behaviour today, even without us fundamentally changing the way things work for everyone.

You're kind of going off the rails here a bit, so let's take a step back and look at this objectively: Favorites are at the top based on what is matched:

(All items which are an exact URL match)
    Favorites (alphabetically sorted)
    non-Favorites (alphabetically sorted)
    (All items which are an inexact URL match)

Again, you can get the behavior you want by enabling "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" in Preferences > Browsers, as that will result in the following:

(All items which match the TLD)

In that case, there's no differentiation between subdomains, so all Favorites which match the domain will be at the top. You should try it. ;)

This discussion has been closed.