https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions page has no install links!

Options
cliffordjay
cliffordjay
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Mac

It's just info about the extensions with no button to do anything. Trying to install on Safari 11.0.2 and OSX 10.13.2

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension install button hidden

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @cliffordjay

This is what I see when I access that page:

Do you see something different? If so do you have any extensions installed in Safari that are blocking content (ad blockers etc)?

Ben

• cliffordjay
    cliffordjay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben. Thanks for the reply. I was writing from my Dad's MacBook, as I was setting him up on our family plan. When I go to the link on my MacBook here I see The "Press the Big Green Button"

<

div> [or whatever code was used to make the area] but it was absent on his system. I mean, how could one miss it? I did see the green install button flash on the the screen, not above the page text content but seemingly behind it, and then disappear when I loaded the page. He hasn't been having other system problems, as far as I know, and his versions are pretty up to date. I am sorry but I don't know what other extensions he has installed, if any, and am at my own home now. Any other advice I can give him to get the extension installed or maybe a direct link? I tried to "copy link" on the Install button in my browser but it didn't work.

And as long as we're chatting, since I'm trying to set up other famILY MEMBERS, too, I'll ask this off topic question: In my experience getting going with 1Password, I entered almost all my logins manually. But in using 1Password, sometimes my manual entries weren't "seen" by 1password and, when I logged in to a website I had manually entered, it asked to make a duplicate entry. I always allowed these duplicates and feel like they work better than the manual ones because they more often allow me to login with one click. We need the Safari (or other browser) Extension active to have 1password pick up on a login, right? Having the Mini active won't do it alone?

Since my feelings could be off base, should I encourage my family members to populate their lists by logging in to actual sites, rather than manual entry?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cliffordjay It sounds very much like either something larger is amiss on your dad's Mac, or that he's using a very strict page-item blocking extension. There are no ads on the extensions page, and that green button certainly shouldn't register as one. I'd recommend you review that with him, as we've had no other reports of the extension page not loading correctly for people.

You do indeed need the browser extension in order to save (or fill) login items into your browser, so in the meantime, you can direct your dad to this link:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4

That will give the entire release history of the extension, and includes right up at the top direct links for each browser. Make sure you download the correct one: if he's using Safari, make sure you choose the Safari extension link, etc.

1Password can store all kinds of data besides logins: credit cards, identities, passports, and many more can all be stored within 1Password's database. And in all of those cases besides logins, the only way to add them is to click the 'plus' button in 1Password (or the mini) and add the details manually.

This is not the case for logins, however. Logins should almost always be captured by the 1Password extension, for a few reasons. There are as many ways to structure a login page as there are grains of sand on a beach, and no two are exactly alike. Things like unusual hidden fields, various bits of javascript, all can affect how a website parses login details -- or allows them to be filled. If you visit a website's login page and enter your data manually, then click "Submit" or "Login" or whatever, 1Password will capture all of the relevant data on the field, so next time you visit that site, you only need launch the page and the either click on the browser extension to fill and submit the login correctly, or use the ⌘\ (Cmd + backslash) shortcut to do the same thing. When a login page is saved correctly in 1Password, you can even just double-click the item in 1Password itself, and 1Password will open a new tab or window, call the correct URL, fill the login details and submit the form.

By contrast, if you try to manually enter data for Amazon, you might enter www.amazon.com or even simply just amazon.com for the URL of the website. But if you visit amazon right now and click the Sign In link, you'll discover that the actual URL for signing into Amazon is not "www.amazon.com" but instead:

That's quite a different URL. If you let 1Password capture that via the browser extension, it will capture not just that but all necessary data fields. If you enter it yourself manually, you'll probably enter only our username and password, and the (wrong) URL. That's likely why sometimes 1Password doesn't even recognize that you've manually entered something for a given website: because the actual login details are different enough from what you typed in manually.

• cliffordjay
    cliffordjay
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for the detailed answers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad Lars was able to help! We're here if you have any other questions. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.