To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password membership differences

Options

Comments

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member
    Options

Is a 1password.com membership the same as 1password for teams? I already have 1password for teams installed on all computers.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Shadow 1password.com memberships come in three "flavors" - Individual accounts, 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. All utilize the same 1password.com backend, but with different features present for each of the three types of account. A single individual has no need of the advanced sharing and user-management features of 1Password Teams because, well, they're a single individual. But in all three types of 1password.com account, the same native applications on all four platforms are used. There's no separate "1Password Teams app."

You can own (or be a member of) as many accounts as you like. For example, I am a member of the AgileBits team for my work here, and I have access to various vaults as determined by the Admins of that account. I also am the Owner/Organizer of my own 1Password Families account, which I share with my wife and kids. If you are a member of a 1Password Teams account for work, but you're experiencing the iCloud re-authentication issue because you're still using a primary vault for your personal items, you could easily create a 1Password Families or Individual account and migrate your data there. Just sign up at the main 1Password sign-up page and then add your new account right into the app(s) you already use.

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, just to be clear; I do not need 1Password (Individual account) if I own 1Password for Teams? I was always under the impression that I needed both.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Shadow If I gave that impression just now, then I failed completely. If you are a member of a 1Password Teams account for work, my guess is that you use that with specific dedicated logins and other data that relate to your work. This is a different data-set than what you use in your personal life (your own email, Facebook, bank accounts, etc). For this reason, you would probably WANT to keep your data separate between work-stuff (in the 1Password Teams account, managed by your employer who can remove you at any time from the team and thus remove your access to the data in that account) and your personal, private-life stuff, in a 1Password Individual account, owned/managed by you, which no one else has access to or control over. It is possible to put all your personal items into your 1Password Teams vault(s), but I would strongly recommend against it, for exactly those reasons: I love working at AgileBits, but they should not have control over my own access to my personal data -- which they would if I put my personal data in to my 1Password Teams account's vaults.

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clearification!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad that Lars was able to help! I'd prefer to use only a single 1Password.com account...but then I'd be giving up some things I'm not able to. For example, I could use only my AgileBits account...but then I wouldn't be able to share stuff with my loved ones using my 1Password Families account. For most people, one or the other is enough. It's just important to determine what's the best fit for your needs. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.