After reset cannot create a new password.

Options
Yehpj
Yehpj
Community Member

I followed the instructions on https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/ but cannot create a new master password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can create a new password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Yehpj - sorry for the trouble! There are a number of instructions at that link; would you mind telling me specifically what the problem was/is, and what steps you tried taking that didn't work? In general, you cannot recover your OWN Master Password, because no one except you knows it. If you are a member of a 1Password Families or 1Password Teams account, an Administrator can help recover your account, but you cannot do the same for yourself. If you're using 1Password as a standalone app and you forget your Master Password, your data will be unrecoverable. Can you fill us in a little more, so we can see whether we can assist? Thanks.

ref: LIM-35237-357

• Yehpj
    Yehpj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

Thanks. I followed the instructions to do a full reset. That part worked (I think). I then started 1Password again (I have the non-membership version). I selected the 1password.com from the list (see first picture below). I think selected "add" from the accounts found (second picture). I then have the screen asking for me to create a password (third picture). However, no matter what I type it is rejected. How do I create a master password from here?

Paul

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Yehpj - thanks for the additional info and the screenshots. It does indeed appear as if you successfully started over.

But now I'm a bit confused. You said "I have the non-membership version," but from the screenshots, it appears you do have a 1Password account. A membership and an account are essentially the same thing; we use the term "membership" to describe the idea of an ongoing subscription, but the membership gives you a 1Password account. Long story short, if you have an account, you have a membership.

Unfortunately, if your account is an Individual account, then you can't simply create a new Master Password without first entering the old one. You can of course change your Master Password, but not from the new user screen.

If you've already tried all the tips to see if you can recall your existing Master Password and you've been unsuccessful -- and you think you've just forgotten it -- then you'll need to write to us at support@agilebits.com from the email address you used to register for the account and let us know you've forgotten your Master Password. We'll send you out a special email which will contain a link to delete your existing account so you can register for a new one. Unfortunately, all the data in your existing account will be lost, but you'll be able to start again. If you're emailing support, make sure to include a link to this conversation, so we can "connect the dots."

• Yehpj
    Yehpj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Yes - I have the nomenclature mixed up. I don't have a subscription, I have the individual account. Can I switch from Individual to subscription? If so, will I then be able to create my password? I'm not worried about loosing existing data from my account.
    Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Yehpj: Just to clarify, there are three different "types" of 1Password.com memberships: individual, 1Password Families, and 1Password Teams; all of these subscriptions. All individual 1Password.com memberships use https://my.1password.com as the sign in address though. So it sounds like you have one already, but need to start over there because you don't have your account credentials. I see you've emailed us, so I'll follow up with you there to give you instructions. :)

• Yehpj
    Yehpj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brent,

I sent you a few messages via e-mail. I'm also following up here. I'd like to confirm that I need to start over and would like to get the e-mail with instructions to do this.

I'd also like to know if I can convert from individual to subscription.

Thanks,
    Paul

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Yehpj - brenty is away just now, but here's the steps you'll need to take: because you subscribed via Apple, you'll want to open iTunes and cancel that subscription. Here are Apple’s instructions for doing that. Once that's canceled, let us know and we'll send you out instructions for deleting your account, which will allow you to start over and create a new one.

• Yehpj
    Yehpj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the note. I have followed the link and cancelled my subscription. I'm ready for the next step.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Yehpj: Thanks! I'll close this discussion and reply to you again via email so we can go over next steps.

This discussion has been closed.