1Password 3 upgrade to 1Password 4

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Chrome Extension Disabled.

Comments

• robertcc
    robertcc
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1Password 3 for Mac. A few months after installing it, version 4 was released and agilebits aggressively pushed its customers to upgrade. When I wrote in to complain, a CSR responded that it was in my best interest to accept the upgrade. I countered that I had JUST purchased 1Password and would not be coerced into paying more money for a product I had only been using for a few months. Only THEN did the CSR indicate I could continue with version 3 and I was sent instructions on how to maintain the current version. So, unless the policy changed afterward, I was NEVER told I could upgrade without charge.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robertcc: I'm not sure I follow you. 1Password 3 had a prompt to offer an upgrade to 1Password 4. You could accept it and upgrade your license, or dismiss it permanently, never to be seen again. I'm also not certain what you mean by "policy", but perhaps some background will help us get on the same page.

1Password 4, like any new version we've released, was not a forced upgrade. Even today, people can continue using it or 1Password 3 just as they always did...but the key is "just as they always did", since legacy software often can't work with OS and browser releases which did not exist when it was created. For example, 1Password 4 supported syncing with iCloud. It technically still does today. But iCloud has changed significantly since then, and iOS 8/macOS Yosemite and higher use a completely different mechanism for iCloud which is not compatible with the earlier stuff. Similarly, Dropbox has changed their APIs and shut down the old ones, and Firefox has basically been redesigned from the ground up, and its older XUL extensions simply don't work in the current version. The reality is that most of us aren't willing to stay frozen in time using the same browser, OS, etc. we were 5+ years ago, and that's the only way that wolud work.

All of that is to say that it is in your best interest to keep up to date, not only with 1Password, but everything else. That's the only way everything can work together properly as the landscape changes and we all change to adapt to it. 1Password 4 was not a free upgrade from 1Password 3, but 1Password 4 was recommended as it worked with the latest OS and browser releases at the time. And, honestly, while we've made some huge improvements in versions 5 and 6, until fairly recently 1Password 4 could still work with modern browsers and our new extension releases. So while upgrading doesn't guarantee perpetuity (and there will always be another upgrade around the corner unless you stick with the exact same software and hardware indefinitely), it buys you more time than not upgrading.

But since we're all using 1Password to be more secure online, it's important to note that upgrading everything is a part of good security hygiene, as browsers and OSes are contunically updated to mitigate vulnerabilities that are found. Having your data encrypted in 1Password on an insecure system will keep it safe, but accessing it could allow anyone else in control of that machine (for example, due to compromise from a security flaw in the browser or OS) to access everything you do. And this is why we've included all updates as part of a 1Password.com membership, so no one has to worry about whether or not they can/should get the latest version of a new OS or browser: you can always get the latest version of 1Password there to support it, which makes you more secure on all counts.

If you'd like to switch to a 1Password.com membership, to take advantage of all of its benefits, like not having to mange licenses or sync configuration, and always having an offsite backup of your 1Password data, just shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID here. I'll be happy to help you make the transition. But, as with 1Password 4, that's optional. If you don't feel it's a good fit for you right now, you can continue using the version you paid for. But the flip side of having a choice is that it's up to you: we can't decide for you if you should upgrade or not, and we won't force you. I hope this helps you make the choice that's best for you. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! :)

• robertcc
    robertcc
    Community Member
    Options

That was a reasoned (if unnecessarily long) response. It does, however, contain an error in fact. For the record, 1Password 4 WAS a forced upgrade. A few months after I had purchased the app, the upgrade window would pop up whenever I used 1Password 3. There was NO option to turn it off, otherwise there would have been no issue. I had to contact customer service to get it to stop. And I was instead given a spiel about the benefits of upgrading. In other words, agilebits was pushing to get as many customers to upgrade as possible. But when I insisted that I had just purchased the app and would not be shelling out any more money, I was then provided with instructions on how to maintain version 3 without the annoying pop-up window. If I had been given an opportunity to upgrade at a discount, since I had just purchased the app, I might have considered it. But no offer was made and I was unhappy with the aggressive upgrade campaign.

It was because of that experience that I made the decision never to upgrade 1Password and keep running my current version until another app entered the market. What agilebits had likely gained in the short term they lost with me in the long term.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@robertcc Jumping in here because brenty is off currently. I've shot you a quick email so we can discuss more personal details of your license purchase history and where you'd like to go at this point. Let's continue the conversation in private, if you don't mind. :)

ref: XST-82765-292

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robertcc: Ah, that's fair. Brevity is not my strength — especially when it isn't clear to me which information is and is not needed, so I try to cover things best I can. Sorry about the overly-long reply. :blush:

Regarding the 1Password 4 upgrade, there definitely was an option to dismiss it, and to do so permanently. I know because I did so myself for a time when I wasn't ready to upgrade yet, and to this day we hear from customers who skipped and then were surprised years later to find that versions 5 and 6 were subsequently released as well. So, in my experience personally and with other customers at least, what I said above is correct.

That said, it's also possible that we had a bug in 1Password 4 that affected you, so I'm sorry if it did not work as intended in your case, and that caused you undue stress and inconvenience. :(

This discussion has been closed.