MAS vs. Agile Bits Store

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Families

I have the Families subscription and just noticed something I'd like to change. I have always had the the MAS version on my Mac and my wife has the Agile Bits store version. I'm not even sure how this occurred, as she used to have the MAS version. I realize the difference in the two, but I would still like to change hers to the MAS version as well. Because of family sharing in the MAS this shouldn't be a problem, but thought I'd run it by someone here first. I presume I would just completely uninstall the Agile Bits Store version from her Mac and reinstall it from the MAS using my Apple ID. Please let me know if this is correct. Thanks.

Larry

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Apple’s Family Sharing doesn’t apply to 1Password, but if using a 1Password Families subscription Apple’s Family Sharing is a bit of a moot point anyway.

We typically recommend using the version from our site, but if you’re set on using the Mac App Store version then yes, you’d uninstall and then reinstall from there. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, I don't care which version we use...I just want both my Mac and hers using the same version...in fact, if we both use your site's version it will be updated a day or two earlier as Apple is a bit slow to do this. So, in that case I just need to uninstall the MAS version on my Mac and reinstall from your site? Any other gotchas when I do this?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LarryMcJ - I wouldn't describe them as "gotchas," but we do have a lovely guide for getting switched over to help you through step-by-step. Let us know if you have any problems.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Lars.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

My current thought is to change mine from the MAS version to 1Password 6. However, if I decide to change hers to the MAS version, is there an FAQ for that, also? Also, other than slightly faster updates, are then any other advantages to using 1Password 6 vs. the MAS version?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LarryMcJ - So, we don't specifically have a guide to switch in the other direction, but it's essentially the same process, only in reverse. The single largest difference between our version and the Mac App Store version is where the apps store their data. Mac App Store apps (all of 'em, not just ours) are sandboxed by macOS, and their data goes in ~/Library/Containers/(name of application, etc - in our case 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/) -- whereas versions of apps from developers go into ~/Library/Application Support/(name of app...).

That's why you can't just switch back and forth between the versions without a few extra steps -- because the app will look for data that isn't where it "should be" for that version. But basically, the process is just the same thing, in reverse:

1. Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    2. Open the Mac App Store and download 1Password for Mac.
    3. Launch the Mac App Store version (it's called 1Password instead of 1Password 6).

With our version of 1Password for Mac, not only are the updates slightly faster, but you also have the option to run beta builds (something not available on the Mac App Store version). It's really up to you, however. Let us know if you have any further questions.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

I understand the sandboxing issue...and if that's the only difference, I'll change mine from MAS to 1Password 6. But that said, I'm an anal Taurus and purist, so I don't want "anything" left on my Mac from the MAS version (even if it doesn't hurt anything). In that case, is it best if I just completely remove the MAS version with my uninstaller app, making sure the Container files go away, too...and then do a completely new install from your site? If there's an easier way to clean up everything and retain my preferences, I'll be happy to do that, but I don't mind the full reinstall if that's the best way to do it.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @LarryMcJ

Been a long time old friend, I would offer to lend a hand, but its been so long since I used the MAS version. I can't recall where to start. Guess, I need to brush up. :(

Welcome back and your in good hands with @Lars

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Tom! Talk about a voice the past! It's been so many years I can't remember how many! I've been hanging out here since 2007 and I think we met a couple of years after that when I was helping out here a little bit in the forums. I've posted a few questions lately, though...surprised you didn't see them. Good to see your name in print, my friend! I'm sure @Lars will have the answer...he's helped me out before. Take care of yourself!

• Ben
    Options

We generally don't recommend using "cleaner" or "uninstaller" apps as they have a tendency to get a bit over-zealous and delete important data along with less critical things like log files. That said if all of your data is in a 1Password.com membership the app can only delete the locally cached copy of the data and it'll still be safely stored on 1Password.com. So if you really feel you must then yes, your proposed plan sounds reasonable.

Our official recommendation is to not use such apps, though. :)

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the kind words, @thightower! And @LarryMcJ, I'll just echo what Ben said: do it if you must, but please review every item your cleaner app finds before including it in the delete, just to be sure you're not causing yourself more problems than you're solving.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben @Lars While I do appreciate that most developers wouldn't recommend the use of an uninstaller, my concern is moving from the MAS version to the 1Password version and ending up with "only" the files that would have normally been installed with the 1Password version.

If I follow the guidance in your guide, is there a way to delete ONLY the MAS residual files that I won't need anymore? Are they all in the Container folder for 1Password? Again, I don't mind doing this your recommended way...and would actually prefer it, but I just don't want all the unnecessary residual files from the MAS app. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Following our recommendation you're going to have some files left over. If it is critical to you that you not then that is what cleaner apps are designed to handle, just be aware our recommendation would always be not to use them.

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Ben, while I honestly understand your concern...what I don't understand is if everything I have is synched and stored on AgileBits.com for our family account, what's the difference in completely wiping it off this Mac and reinstalling the 1Password version or installing it from scratch on a new Mac? Seems the same to me, but I might be missing something. Thanks for explaining.

• Ben
    Options

We just haven't tested it. We don't know what your cleaner app is going to come up with for suggested file deletions and so we're not going to take on responsibility if it deletes something it shouldn't. :) That's all.

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

OK...I'll let it rest and just take my chances :) But if it completely remove the MAS version from my Mac, I just don't see how it could take more than it needs to to completely remove the app. I mean, worst case is it removes everything that was installed, which is what I want. Then I could install the new version from your site, just as if it was a new computer. Again...I understand your position, and thanks for your help.

• Ben
    Options

Yep. :) :+1:

Ben

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Ben and @Lars - I decided to do it per your guide. I'll try to train my Taurean brain to forget about those extraneous, unnecesary files from the MAS version that are still hanging around ;)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

@LarryMcJ

That will likely prove hard for both you and I, to do. Us old school people. lol I think @dteare helped engrain that in us during the 1Password 2 err 1Password 3 alphas with that Terminal command to switch the GUI in 1Password 2. Sometimes needing to remove files too. I recall one bug hunt with software icons, and installing and uninstalling like 15 version of the app 1 day... Ah the old days. Us two, and @Locker @F451 I know others but they come to mind first.

• I seem to recall we were all there for those memories unless,... well my memory is fading. But if it were I wouldn't know the difference. :blush:

Though truth be told, it has been getting a lot easier for me the last few years to forget somethings like those pesky files. So I actually have hope. Ah who am I kidding I have so much going on with an the family, Wife, 8,9,14, and 21 year olds, 11 Siberian Huskies, training new people at work, I barely have time to put my head on the pillow. No wonder I forget those files. ROFL

No reply necessary. See ya'll around.

Edit: Moved wife to first billing above. :blush: She's simply wonderful and takes care of the home life while I travel for work.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thightower and @LarryMcJ - with guys like you who've been with us for such a long time, we know we have a much better chance of you understanding what we mean when we say something, and we're not worried you'll inadvertently do something catastrophic to your own data. You guys are old pros. :)

But we DO have to remind ourselves that anyone out there can search the right terms and find old threads as well, so we still want to be careful about what we say and how we say it here on the forum, even when it's you. I personally find Hazel to be a good tool for app "cleanup," because it gives you a list of everything it finds related to an app and allows you to de-select anything you decide you want to keep before hitting the final delete button. I'm less familiar with other such applications myself, because I don't use that kind of functionality as often as it sounds like you do, @LarryMcJ. But Hazel is probably what I'd use if I were going to do it. Just FWIW.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Completely agree, @Lars. Residual content is what makes these forums so helpful. BTW, agree with you on Hazel...I used to use it a lot. Not sure why it fell off my "must install" list for new Macs or reinstalls, but I'll revisit it. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LarryMcJ :+1: :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

@thightower - Agree. I bet back then I installed/reinstalled 1P and 1Password over a hundred times :)

• Ben
    Options

Heh, I still do that. ;) Enjoy!

Ben

• @thightower: indeed, those were the days! I miss that command line option for toggling the UI. :)

As great as those days were, our best days lie ahead. <3

This discussion has been closed.