To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

My account is frozen. How can I delete my vault and the entire account?

Options
tyrion2016
tyrion2016
Community Member

As the title says, how can I delete my vault and the entire account given that my account is frozen. I don't see a way to do this from the Mac app nor the website.

1Password Version: 6.85
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:delete vault frozen

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @tyrion2016.

You can delete your account from this page:

https://my.1password.com/profile

Scroll all the way to the bottom and select the big red button for “Permanently Delete Account.”

That said, is there perhaps something that we could help with that is causing you to want to delete your account? Please let us know.

Thanks!

Ben

• tyrion2016
    tyrion2016
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. I was a LastPass user and I heard good things about 1P. I tried 1P for a couple of months. 1P's tools and UI are much better but I found it harder to use (in terms of filling in passwords on websites), which is the bulk of my usage. I also did not like the fact that it froze my account and I could no longer edit my data. So I went back to LastPass.

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member
    Options

@tyrion2016

The thing I really dislike about LastPass is their counter-intuitive UI.

They're also one of the least secure password managers with vulnerabilities popping up all the time. There are others but I've linked to the main ones.

LastPass warns users to exercise caution while it fixes 'major' vulnerability [2017]

How I made LastPass give me all your passwords [2016]

Hack of cloud-based LastPass exposes hashed master passwords [2015]

LastPass discloses now-fixed vulnerabilities ahead of security conference [2014]

LastPass CEO Explains Possible Hack [2011]

• tyrion2016
    tyrion2016
    Community Member
    Options

@darrenNZ Every software will have vulnerabilities. If you Google the terms 1password vulnerabilities, you'll get a few hits also. Ultimately, what matters is how the vendor responds to vulnerabilities. I think both 1P and LP are good password managers. LP is good enough that the Wirecutter in its Dec 8th, 2017 article, recommended LP. So choose the one that works best for you.

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member
    Options

To be fair to 1Password though @tyrion2016 the 'vulnerabilities' found were a damp squid. They didn't compromise data in the same way that the LastPass ones do. Their software has gone much worse since they were acquired by LogMeIn.

Go with what works best with you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tyrion2016

I also did not like the fact that it froze my account and I could no longer edit my data.

A 1Password account entering Frozen status is a function of the 30-day free trial ending. I'm not sure what you would have wanted, but we believe 30 days is a generous amount of time for users to get to really know 1Password on a day-to-day basis before being asked to subscribe to continue.

I found it harder to use (in terms of filling in passwords on websites), which is the bulk of my usage.

I think that's probably the bulk of most people's usage of 1Password -- I personally have many more login items saved than I do bank accounts or credit cards or anything else. Can I ask what you found difficult to use? If you download the 1Password browser extension for your preferred browser, filling and saving should be both pretty automatic as well as relatively reliable.

• tyrion2016
    tyrion2016
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars

I don't have any problem with a post 30-day freeze but as a LP user, I didn't have to deal with that. So it was a bit disconcerting.

I went back to LP about 3 months ago so I forgot about the details. In general, I found password filling to be cumbersome. I had to login at least once daily (often more than that), some forms didn't fill correctly or not at all. I didn't have these problems with LP. Given 1P's sterling reputation, I assumed I was doing something wrong, so I checked my settings and Googled for answers. But I didn't find anything wrong with my setup of the 1P browser extension. So I didn't have any more time to waste and went back to LP.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't have any problem with a post 30-day freeze but as a LP user, I didn't have to deal with that. So it was a bit disconcerting.

@tyrion2016: I hear you. That's why we don't lock you out of your data, even if your account is frozen when you don't subscribe (or your subscription lapses).

I went back to LP about 3 months ago so I forgot about the details. In general, I found password filling to be cumbersome.

I'm sorry about that. I wish you'd reached out when you were having trouble so we could help. I'd still like to know the details so we can try to improve 1Password, but if you don't remember them now I understand.

I had to login at least once daily (often more than that), some forms didn't fill correctly or not at all.

By "login at least once daily", it sounds like you mean unlocking with your Master Password. That's by design, as leaving the app unlocked indefinitely is a security risk for most people. 1Password has security settings to adjust how often and when you need to unlock it, but yeah it will almost certainly require your Master Password at least once daily, unless you're using it nonstop, as that's what protects your data.

I didn't have these problems with LP. Given 1P's sterling reputation, I assumed I was doing something wrong, so I checked my settings and Googled for answers. But I didn't find anything wrong with my setup of the 1P browser extension. So I didn't have any more time to waste and went back to LP.

Understood. While I wish you'd reached out to us for help (as you can see, we're pretty easy to get ahold of), if you have something that works for you now that's better than using no security at all. Stay safe out there!

This discussion has been closed.