Why does 1Password triggers click event on all DOM inputs on Polymer when pressing a paper-button ?

Options

This makes the extension open all website dropdowns and datepickers (if the datepicker is set to open on input click).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @iPuiu,

Many sites design their page in a way where we cannot infer certain details without clicking on the input fields we may be required to fill. Sites that use CSS and stacking instead of the placeholder attribute, sites that dynamically alter the field type and so on. Ideally we wouldn't need to touch fields so what the extension currently does is a direct result of adapting to new designs that are reported to us. It also works the other way, if people bring us designs where 1Password causes undesirable behaviour we'll do our best to correct this whilst ensuring 1Password works with the other sites. Do you have a site (example or existing) where we can see this?

• iPuiu
    iPuiu
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @littlebobbytables,

Thanks for the fast reply.
    Sadly the application I'm working on it's mostly for internal companies use so I am not able to provide you a real example.

What I can tell you is this:
    Every Polymer based application that is using paper-dropdown is affected by this. The paper-dropdown contains a input that on click triggers the opening of the dropdown.

Imagine if the user has 10 dropdowns and they click any button they will have all the dropdowns opened on the website.

(Even more imagine if the website has datepickers modals that appear on input click.)

I'll discuss with the team to see if we can present you some kind of example.
    We might get in the position to discourage the use of this extension by our users since it brakes our application.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@iPuiu If you can show us a good example (whether from your own application or a representative example app or repo) we can definitely try to get 1Password to take this into account. I'm not sure what that might eventually look like, but we definitely want 1Password working on the most sites and causing as little side effect as possible as it goes about its business. I tried poking about with this demo but because the control is in an iframe from a different origin, I couldn't add event listeners and the like to try to see what is going on. A standalone demo would probably be more helpful but I wasn't able to find one. :cry:

Also, just so we are clear, are you experiencing this problem when filling into a page or as you click about during normal operations? This will help us know where to begin our investigation, either in our collection/filling of the page or in our monitoring for autosave.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.