Suggestion: pre-sign in indicator of whether there's a site password saved

Scott_R
Scott_R
Community Member

I wish 1Password could indicate to me, before I sign in, whether or not it has a password for the site saved.

Not infrequently, I've clicked on 1P, got the dropdown to sign in, entered my password, and discovered that no information had been saved for the site--either I hadn't created an account or it had not (for whatever reason) been saved in 1P.

It would save me time if, instead of having me log in first, 1P could inform me first whether it has anything to fill.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Scott_R That's not really a possibility, as 1Password isn't a normal database; it can't be "peeked" into. Before you enter your Master Password (or use Touch ID on newer Macs), your data actually can't be read, because it's in encrypted form. You can't read it, we can't read it, and your Mac can't read it either -- it's just a blob of ciphertext.

However, if you are using your Mac and you have unlocked 1Password, you should have a little more information available to you. If you're on a specific website, you can use either the browser extension or the mini to check whether any saved Logins broadly match the base URL of the site. If you're not already on a specific site, you can search in either the mini or the main 1Password app for any item, which should give you some advance warning about whether you have information saved for that site.

• Scott_R
    Scott_R
    Community Member

Could it have a secondary database, readable with the app locked, that details only whether there's any information for that website, and gets updated when the application is unlocked?
    I.e., go to
    xyx.domain.com
    and 1P matches it to that unencrypted secondary database that contains only that domain name and no other information? Then if the current domain matches the one in the database (or whoever 1P matches a page to allow the login info to be entered), the 1Password login window could have a green ring around the logo.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Scott_R: That's actually how older versions of 1Password worked, but given the privacy concerns of someone capturing your database and being able to see the websites you have saved in 1Password, and the fact that modern devices have more than enough power to decrypt on the fly, there's no need for that compromise any longer. We're not going to go back to that. It may not matter to you, and certainly not everyone cares if others know the websites they go to, but security and privacy are a important to us and many 1Password users, so we're not going to go back to having data unencrypted, even just a little.

This discussion has been closed.