Unchecking issue still occurring

Options

I've seen this addressed in an earlier closed discussion. However, I've found this occurring while trying to log into a self-hosted WordPress site. It didn't occur when trying to sign into the AgileBits forums themselves (oddly enough).

I'm using Chrome 63.0.3239.132.

Here is a GIF demonstrating the issue:

1Password Version: 6.8.492
Extension Version: 4.7.0.1
OS Version: Win 10 17046
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fmeliton: I'm not sure I follow. Was the login saved with or without the box checked? You should be able to view this under "web form details" in that Login item. Try manually saving a new login there the with everything entered th way you want it to be filled and let me know if that helps. Thanks in advance! :)

• fmeliton
    fmeliton
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thanks. I tried updating the login but that didn't seem to work. However, deleting the original login and creating a new one with the form filled out with 'Remember me' checked worked

• darrenNZ
    darrenNZ
    Community Member
    Options

@fmeliton

If you've checked "Remember me" then the likelihood it's your browser that's remembering the password and not 1Password! This is bad.

Browsers have insecure local password storage. You really don't want your browser to remember your passwords as this defeats the object of a password manager.

If you follow brenty's instructions you should be able to save the password into 1Password and not your browser [Chrome].

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fmeliton,

The update option you used unfortunately won't work. The intended purpose behind that is when 1Password has recognised a change password form. It only updates the password field and under very specific circumstances 1Password does try to recognise if your username has changed i.e. a site uses an email address to identify their users.

In situations like this where you want 1Password to do something differently with a checkbox you have two options.

1. Save a brand new Login item and delete the old one. You've already discovered this.
    2. Edit the existing Login item. Once in edit mode click the Web form details button. Hopefully one of the fields stands out as being the remember me checkbox - set it to . In 1Password for Mac it actually displays a checkbox that you enable/disable so hopefully 1Password 6 for Windows adopts this later to make it easier.

Maybe in the future the update existing Login item can better cope with more scenarios but we have to tread carefully. What we don't want to risk happening is overwriting several important fields when say only a password field should have been updated. I hope this helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you've checked "Remember me" then the likelihood it's your browser that's remembering the password and not 1Password!

@darrenNZ: I don't think that's the case. I think they're referring to the "remember me" checkbox for the website. That won't interact with the browser's saving/filling, but sets a cookie to have the username populated the next time they return. Or possibly keep them logged in there. Neither is great, but at least the login credentials are not being saved locally in a file or something.

• fmeliton
    fmeliton
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables: Yes, I stated that initially trying to update the login didn't work and thus moved to create a new login completely.

What I didn't mention was that I also attempted to change the setting by editing the login item. It wasn't clear at the time that I had to physically type in ✓ to enable 'Remember me'. It would make more sense to have this as a physical checkbox than a text field (it's more ituitive).

@darrenNZ: As @brenty mentioned, I'm not saving to my browser. My browsers are set not to save any passwords. The purpose of using 'remember me' in this case is to stay logged in for longer before being auto logged out (which occurs frequently).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, I stated that initially trying to update the login didn't work and thus moved to create a new login completely.

@fmeliton: Indeed, as I mentioned originally, saving a new login item is the way to go, since that will give you a clean slate with current information about the website that 1Password can use to fill. Glad that helped! :)

What I didn't mention was that I also attempted to change the setting by editing the login item. It wasn't clear at the time that I had to physically type in ✓ to enable 'Remember me'. It would make more sense to have this as a physical checkbox than a text field (it's more ituitive).

Sorry for the confusion there. We'll try to make this easier in a future update.

As @brenty mentioned, I'm not saving to my browser. My browsers are set not to save any passwords. The purpose of using 'remember me' in this case is to stay logged in for longer before being auto logged out (which occurs frequently).

Thanks for clarifying! It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. :chuffed:

• fmeliton
    fmeliton
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Not sure if there's way to mark this particular thread as 'Solved' to help others out. Otherwise, all good on my end here. Thanks for the assistance and notes everyone

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sure thing! Glad to hear that all is well. And this discussion may help others who encounter a similar problem. Cheers! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.