Moved to new HD, no longer licensed

Options
Eldberg
Eldberg
Community Member

I have !Password6 on my iMac. Changed to a new startup disk. Copied all apps to the new disk with the built-in migration device. But when I start 1Password from the new disk I get a "start your free trial period" message. Apparently, there is a license file somewhere on the old disk that was not copied to the new one. Where is it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Eldberg - I can't really comment on the status of a migration tool or how effectively it worked, but it sounds to me as if you may have copied over the application but not the data? To be clear, when you start your trial, is what you see something like this?

If so, that's the Welcome screen; you'll see it if you've never used 1Password or you're installing it for the first time onto a new Mac. However, if you've been using 1Password and you think you have local data, then my question would be: in your previous setup, were you syncing your data? If so, via Dropbox, iCloud, or another method? Or did you have a 1password.com account? Let me know also if you had data but were not syncing it at all -- we'll go from there.

• Eldberg
    Eldberg
    Community Member
    Options

Well that was the problem: data not copied. Apple's migration tool offered to copy 500+ of user documents from the hard disk onto a 256GB SSD and there was no way to select only some data. So I got the apps, not their files. Fortunately, I had 1Password on my iPhone as well and was able to log in. My keychain is the Dropbox however and I still haven't figured bout how to switch from the old on-disk backup copy to the one that's on Dropbox.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Eldberg -- If you mean that the keychain in Dropbox is your current data, then this will be pretty straightforward. If that's the keychain your iPhone has been syncing with (and previously, your other startup drive), that's the one you want. Follow these instructions to get yourself set up with Dropbox sync on the new startup disk. Let us know if you run into any problems!

This discussion has been closed.