Is there any way to convert a secure note to a login?

Options
Wyndham
Wyndham
Community Member

I converted my data vault password is through a script which I got on this forum. Thank you very much

However, many of the logins were converted to secure notes rather than logins. I’m not blaming the script, it was most likely faulty data in the first place.

I know the discussion revealed that it is not possible to change items from one type to another, but perhaps you could add an option to the duplicate option. ie Duplicate as…

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Is there any way to convert a secure note to a login?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Wyndham,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Generally the difficulty with converting between item types, and likely the reason some of your items were created as Secure Notes and not Logins, is related to required fields.

For example, Secure Notes have no required fields. They are entirely free form. But Logins require a website address (URL), username, and password. If you just have information free form in a Secure Note how would 1Password know what information to put in those required fields?

Making those kinds of determinations can be fairly difficult programmatically and the result is not always reliable because we’re always only able to make an educated guess. That is the primary reason why we haven’t implemented such a feature.

Ben

• Wyndham
    Wyndham
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ben.

I understand your explanation, but I can supply the missing information, and would add it during the copy or conversion process.

As it is, you have to copy the existing information somehow (pen and paper...) and then create a new item, etc. Clumsy.

Regards
    Wyndham

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It seems like copying and pasting would be easier, but it's up to you. There just isn't a way to automate converting between item templates as they are very different — both in form and function. Maybe it will be possible in the future though.

This discussion has been closed.