[Improve] Insert digits and uppercase into pronounable password that generated

binhsonnguyen
binhsonnguyen
Community Member

Dear

I love 1Password, but could you improve its password generator.

I used enpass for a time and its password generator really good: https://www.enpass.io/docs/desktop-windows/passgen.html, especially at pronounable passwords generator, while it let me choises to insert number as well as uppercase.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@binhsonnguyen: Thanks for reaching out. Can you tell me why? We have a much better password generation method for maximizing entropy, which includes uppercase and everything else: character-based passwords. The purpose of word-based passwords is for them to be easy to memorize and type, and adding random capitals, numbers, and other things would eschew that benefit for very little overall gain. For example, our Wordlist, at just over 18000, gives us 14 bits of entropy per word. So a four word passphrase is 56 bits, which is not only strong, but also very manageable.

• binhsonnguyen
    binhsonnguyen
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply.
    If I think that "adding random capitals, numbers, and other things would eschew that benefit for very little overall", and I have no power to keep in memory complex passwords, I will just keep default options.
    But in another case, I feel that make some character capitalize, and add some digits give me more trust, or my gsuite admin wants to set a rule like that, so let me choose the way 1Password generate it for me.
    Does it worth?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

Thank you for your reply.

@binhsonnguyen: You're welcome! :)

If I think that "adding random capitals, numbers, and other things would eschew that benefit for very little overall", and I have no power to keep in memory complex passwords, I will just keep default options.

I'd suggest using the right options for the situation. Also, "words" passwords are not the default; "characters" are, as they'll always be stronger for the same length. And don't memorize complex password: that's what 1Password is for!

But in another case, I feel that make some character capitalize, and add some digits give me more trust, or my gsuite admin wants to set a rule like that, so let me choose the way 1Password generate it for me. Does it worth?

You can get that with "characters" passwords:

We'd also like to add more options to how those are generated in the future (e.g. which symbols are allowed). Thanks for your feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.