Why the message, "You cannot install 1Password in this location."

engineerbob
engineerbob
Community Member

I have 1 Password installed, but when I try to open it a message says that it cannot connect to 1Password mini. But when I download 1Password to try to update it, I get the message, "You cannot install 1Password in this location.", even though it is installed (although not working properly). How do I get around this problem?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Why the message, "You cannot install 1Password in this location."

Comments

• @engineerbob,

That error message you're getting is telling me that you've possibly launched 1Password from your ~/Downloads folder. On 10.12 and newer the OS takes any application that is launched from the Downloads folder and moves it to a read-only disk image when you attempt to launch it.

You should be able to confirm this by running the df command in Terminal.app; it will show you a list of mounted disks and if you have one that has an entry who's "Mounted On" looks like /private/var/folders/7n/r7yhmg8j5zb4m_khwp8fwn380000gp/T/AppTranslocation/C0CEB1A5-5134-437D-8530-B36B3ED21DBE then you've been "Translocated". You will need to fully quit 1Password by holding down control and option when you quit 1Password and then move the application to your Applications folder. Alternatively you can drag that copy of the application to the trash and install using the installer package from https://1password.com/downloads

Rudy

• engineerbob
    engineerbob
    Community Member

@rudy
    I launched 1Password from the dock; the Finder finds it in the Applications folder, although there is a 1Password pkg in the ~/Downloads folder. I typed the df command in Terminal.app and "Mounted On" doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. Would you recommend uninstalling 1Password (using perhaps CleanMyMac 3) and reinstalling with the 1Password-6.8.5.pkg?

• dinapoli_family
    dinapoli_family
    Community Member

Moved the 1Password-6.8.5.pkg to Desktop and still same message. Please address the original problem. "You cannot install 1Password in this location." What location? Where is the log? This is a brand new formatted/upgraded High Sierra.

• dinapoli_family
    dinapoli_family
    Community Member

Simple fresh High Sierra, fresh macbook pro. I need to install 1Password. Where is the log? Where is it trying to install itself and failing and why? Did permission check on the disk. Nothing else is loaded on the macbook. Latest download today. When I installed on my other mac, there was no special "move it to " needed. Just downloaded and ran the installer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I launched 1Password from the dock; the Finder finds it in the Applications folder, although there is a 1Password pkg in the ~/Downloads folder. I typed the df command in Terminal.app and "Mounted On" doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. Would you recommend uninstalling 1Password (using perhaps CleanMyMac 3) and reinstalling with the 1Password-6.8.5.pkg?

@engineerbob: Unless you have a backup of your 1Password data somewhere else, I wound do that, as "cleaner" apps often — unhelpfully — delete people's 1Password data as well. Do a Spotlight search for 1Password, drag any copies of the app or installer to the Trash, restart your Mac, and try with a fresh download:

https://1password.com/downloads/

Double click to run it, install to the default location, and let me know how it goes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Simple fresh High Sierra, fresh macbook pro. I need to install 1Password. Where is the log? Where is it trying to install itself and failing and why? Did permission check on the disk. Nothing else is loaded on the macbook. Latest download today. When I installed on my other mac, there was no special "move it to " needed. Just downloaded and ran the installer.

@dinapoli_family: If that's the case then something really messed up there. Do a Spotlight search, drag any 1Password apps or installers you find to the Trash, and restart your Mac into Recovery Mode to do a full disk repair if you haven't done this already. Then, download the 1Password Troubleshooting app:

https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/mac/util/1PasswordTroubleshooting.zip

Run that, go to the Permissions tab, and Repair Permissions. Download a fresh copy of 1Password and see if you're able to install it normally now:

https://1password.com/downloads/

Let me know how it turns out!

• dinapoli_family
    dinapoli_family
    Community Member

As this is, again, a "Command-R" brand new, reformatted, downloaded, install of OSX updated to High Sierra, and patched....

I will give your advice a go.

OK, did that, no joy!

1Password Troubleshooting also done. Problem remains:

Hit your downloads site, opened Downloads in UI, double-click (this is not my first rodeo guys - I've installed thousands of apps and utilities).

OSX 10.9.5 2.3GHz i7 16GB >250GB free.

Here is your /var/log/system.log

Jan 17 16:06:10 Johns-MacBook-Pro.local Installer[1025]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

Jan 17 16:06:10 Johns-MacBook-Pro.local Installer[1025]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

• engineerbob
    engineerbob
    Community Member

@brenty
    Trashing 1Password, downloading and installing did the trick. Everything seems to be working well. All logins are there. However, on Vault was removed, but I wasn't using it anyway. Thanks very much. :)

• rudy
    edited January 2018

@dinapoli_family,

if you're currently running OSX 10.9.5 2.3GHz i7 16GB >250GB free. that seems to declare that you're not actually running High Sierra at all. 10.9.5 is not a supported OS for 1Password 6, which would be why its telling you you can't install it.

Rudy

• dinapoli_family
    dinapoli_family
    Community Member

I stand corrected. 10.13.2 (High Sierra) on main machine, the Macbook is not. Updating and retrying, expecting different results.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@engineerbob - That's excellent news! On brenty's behalf, you're quite welcome. Glad he was able to help you. :)

• dinapoli_family
    dinapoli_family
    Community Member

Upgraded to High Sierra actual - work like a firehose. Good job, thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dinapoli_family Excellent! I've never heard it referred to as a firehose, but that sounds like a good thing. :) Let us know if you have any further questions or issues!

This discussion has been closed.