1Password Extension for Browsers causing Browsers to steal focus every second

Options

Hi. I am not sure if I am the only one experiencing this so far but over the past few days, I've noticed that when my Chrome (v63.0.3239.132) or Firefox Quantum (v57.0.4) is started, it steals focus away from any other Windows application I use. The browser window also re-appears when I try to minimize the browser.

I am running 1Password for Windows v4.6.2.626. Checking for updates reveals no further updates available. Chrome and Firefox 1Password extensions are at version v4.6.12.90.

Troubleshooting steps.

1. Start browser. Reset all settings to default (including disabling all extensions). This fixes the issue.
  2. With all settings reset to default, enable half of the extensions I use leaving 1Password browser extension enabled with AdBlock Plus.
  3. Start a new tab and browse to any website.
  4. Start another application - any application (including 1Password for Windows).
  5. Try to type into a text field in the newly opened application (type into the search field for 1Password)
  6. Watch as the browser steals focus within a second timeframe.
  7. Go back to the browser leaving the application I opened in step 4 running, disable remaining browser extensions.
  8. Repeat steps 5 with the app. The browser no longer steals focus.
  9. Enable 1Password extension only and disable AdBlock Plus.
  10. Again, repeat step 5. The browser now steals focus.
  11. Go back to the browser and disable 1Password. Enable all other browser extensions I use on a day-to-day basis which includes AdBlock Plus, Session Buddy, Disconnect.
  12. Again, repeat step 5. The browser no longer steals focus.

Can anyone advise the following please?
a) Do I have the latest versions of 1Password and 1Password browser extension? If not, how do I grab the latest version?
b) Are you aware of this issue?

As it is, I am unable to use 1Password on Windows as I only use the browser extension for auto-login. Help.

Thanks,
Michael.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.192
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member
    Options

Further troubleshooting continues. It looks like the 1Password extensions are not working at all. Clicking on the 1Password extension icon does nothing. This happens across Chrome, Firefox and Edge. Funny enough, Edge doesn't steal focus even though its broken.

I've tried to uninstall the extensions from the browser and re-install them from here. Didn't help. I've also tried going to the 1Password for Windows application and clicking on Help -> Restart 1Password Helper and that didn't help either.

Looks bad. The only recent changes is an update to the Corsair Utility Engine (used by the Corsair K95 RGB keyboard I have.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @laugher,

Thank you for this detailed report! Really appreciate it. :+1:

This is a known issue with 1Password 4 for Windows, so please do the following to fix this behaviour:

1. Quit Chrome and 1Password.
    2. In Windows Explorer, enter %localappdata%\AgileBits in the address bar and press return.
    3. In the resulting folder, you should see a file named OPX4.auth. Delete this file.
    4. Restart your PC.
    5. Open the main 1Password app and go to the Help Menu > Advanced > Use Native Messaging.
    6. Restart your web browsers and let me know if the focus issue remains.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Greg

That process fixed the following:
    1. Chrome and Firefox no longer steals focus.
    2. Chrome 1Password extension now works correctly.

Remaining issues:
    1. Firefox Quantum 1Password extension is enabled but the icon no longer shows. There is an empty space where the 1Password extension is. Trying to click on this while visiting a website to allow 1Password to auto-fill login forms does not do anything.
    2. The same issue with the Edge 1Password extension except the icon for the extension shows correctly in Edge.

Its strange that it was working perfectly fine before across Chrome and Firefox. I don't normally use Edge so can't vouch for it ever working there.

Also of note is that the Native Messaging option was already selected. I didn't have to change anything under Help -> Advanced.

Any other tips?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@laugher: Glad to hear that helped! :)

1. Firefox Quantum 1Password extension is enabled but the icon no longer shows. There is an empty space where the 1Password extension is. Trying to click on this while visiting a website to allow 1Password to auto-fill login forms does not do anything.

Firefox is weird in that extension icons don't reset when reinstalling them, so you'll either need to edit the toolbar to put 1Password back manually, or use Ctrl \ to fill.

1. The same issue with the Edge 1Password extension except the icon for the extension shows correctly in Edge. Its strange that it was working perfectly fine before across Chrome and Firefox. I don't normally use Edge so can't vouch for it ever working there.

Sorry for the confusion there! 1Password 4 cannot work with Edge, as it was created long before Windows 10 and Edge existed.

Also of note is that the Native Messaging option was already selected. I didn't have to change anything under Help -> Advanced. Any other tips?

Good to know! It's enabled by default, but changing it can carry over from older versions. Never hurts to check.

• laugher
    laugher
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty - all fixed on Firefox now. Had to uninstall and then re-install the extension again and that fixed it.

Shame about the Edge browser not working with the 1Password extension downloaded from the Microsoft Store. No real loss for me as I rarely use Edge.

All fixed now. Thanks again for your prompt responses @Greg and @brenty .

• @laugher: I'm glad to hear you're all sorted out! As for Edge, 1Password 7 will work with both standalone vaults and the Edge extension, so while it won't work for you right now, you'll have an option to use both once 1Password 7 is ready to go. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.