sidebar "item count" not counting all items

Options
bitmender
bitmender
Community Member

This issue started for me a while back -- weeks, months, can't remember. It's not a feature I happen to notice all the time so when it actually stopped working, I may not have noticed immediately.

I have about 28 folders on the sidebar, a few of which contain subfolders. I do tech support for a number of people, so I need to keep their password lists separated from each other. Here's a partial list of folders in my sidebar (for reasons of privacy, I blanked out some of the subfolder names).

In actuality, the "Ballard" folder contains 14 items, as you can see here -- the counts at the top of each individual folder list alway show correctly.

The two subfolders respectively contain 5 and 11 items. Beacon has 25, Boes has 1 and Burk has 3. So the only one that shows the correct count is the Boes folder. Some other folders (not shown) have 1 to 9 items in them and don’t even show a count icon in the sidebar at all.

I’ve tried going into the preferences to disable and re-enable “Show item count in sidebar” but it doesn’t fix the issue. Anyone know if there’s a way to fix this?

1Password Version: 6.8.6BETA-2 (AgileBits Beta)
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.2
Sync Type: WLAN server

Comments

• bitmender
    bitmender
    Community Member
    Options

Disregard. I was just looking at my forum profile and discovered I posted about this same issue in 2015. It was so long ago, I'd forgotten I've already run into this issue. The solution is to create a new folder, move all the items from the old folder into the new folder, and that one will have the correct count. Not sure why the sidebar count gets corrupted but it won't take that long to fix my collection of folders. Hopefully this issue gets fixed somewhere along the line and I don't have to "rediscover" this bug again in 2021. :blush:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bitmender - Thanks for the update, and I'm glad you were able to work around this issue. Folders is something we're currently in a bit of a quandary with, as 1password.com accounts do not utilize a folder structure at all; they use tags instead. But thanks for taking the time to remind us.

• bitmender
    bitmender
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, thanks for mentioning tags. I hadn't really looked at them before. They turned out to be a better way to organize my data. I had to edit 663 items to do it, but I've abandoned folders entirely in favor of a tagging system. Now I'm future-proofed against the folder problem, and I think my organization is better to boot. Win-win!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bitmender Awesome! Tags tend to be much more powerful and flexible, but the one thing they don't provide is that hierarchical structure that some people enjoy seeing to help them visualize the organization. Glad to hear tags worked even better for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.