Graphical issue with password strength

There's an issue with 1Password for Mac currently regarding the display of the password strength.
STP:
1. Create a Login with a strong password so that the 1Password indicate correctly that the password is strong
2. Delete the password field using show web form details
3. Save the item
4. Create a new password field using show web form details and set the password during this dialog to something simple like 123
5. Save the item

Expected results:
The color for the password strength is red as the password is weak

Actual results:
The color for the password strength is green.

Comments

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

@heubergen: Yep. You're totally right. Thank you for reporting this! The thing I found interesting is that the opposite doesn't seem to work: I was unable to replace a weak password with a strong one and get it to continue to appear as weak. We have a number of other improvements we're working on for password strength, so that may be a good opportunity to fix issues like this. Cheers! :)

ref: OPM-5699

• chadseldchadseld 1Password Developer

AgileBits Team Member

I see what's going on here. I'll work on a fix.

• I had sort of the opposite problem. I just noticed that a strong password (1password generated with 50 characters, with symbols, numbers, etc) that I have used for some time was considered to be superweak according to the graphic display (i.e. it showed just a little red blip). But when I went into Edit mode for the Login the password shows a solid green bar, i.e. is correctly considered very strong. If I leave edit mode, the password is again classed as superweak. If I copy exactly the same password into a newly created login, it shows as strong green both in and out of Edit mode.

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

@bcd92: I may be misunderstanding, but if you've edited the password field yourself, 1Password will not calculate strength the same way it does for a password it generated itself. That's intentional. Is that what you're experiencing?

• The strong password that was showing as superweak was generated by 1Password. When I copied it into the password field of another test login, it showed as strong. Note that when in edit mode, it showed as strong in both the original and test login. It is only when out of edit mode it showed as superweak for the original login, but still as strong for the new test login. It is a trivial glitch that I cannot reproduce, but when it comes to password managers, even trivial glitches make me a bit nervous.

• brentybrenty

AgileBits Team Member

@bcd92: I think you can't reproduce it because we fixed it already, but that won't be retroactive as 1Password doesn't go through and edit all of your items when we make tweaks to item-specific UI like the coloured password strength bars. Keep in mind that password strength isn't an absolute; it's subjective, and is only a guideline. We've changed how this is calculated over the years and we likely will in the future as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file