Notes section on iOS for some entries has text all running together

Bowden
Bowden
Community Member
edited January 2018 in iOS

I just updated today to v7.0.5 on iOS 11.2.2 and v6.8.6 on macOS 10.12.6. I just noticed that the Notes section on iOS is showing text as run together, i.e., it is not respecting any carriage returns/breaks. The strange part is that this is not happening on all entries. As odd as it sounds, it seems to primarily be those in the "Bank Accounts" category.

A) Example viewed in 1Pwd on macOS:
Phone Number: 555-123-4567
This is a line.
This is a separate line.

B) When viewing the same entry on iOS:
Phone Number: 555-123-4567This is a line.This is a separate line.

C) In brief testing, I edited the Notes section (using macOS) for a Bank Accounts entry by adding returns at the end of each line so it looked like this on the Mac:

This is a line.

This is a separate line.

D) I let it sync and then viewed on iOS:
This is a line.
This is a separate line.

E) I went back on macOS and removed the extra returns and on iOS, it went back to showing as all run together.

I am pretty sure that this was not happening until I applied the updates earlier today. Any ideas?

1Password Version: 7.0.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.2.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bowden: Hmm. Unhelpfully, I don't have notes in my Bank Account items. Even more unhelpfully, after going through every one of my Secure Notes (and I have a lot of those), I'm not seeing any that exhibit this behaviour. Is there some trait that those which display this issue for you have in common -- age, platform, pasted text, formatted? I really appreciate your detailed description. I'm just having trouble reproducing it. What if you create a new Bank Account item?

• Bowden
    Bowden
    Community Member

@brenty: I don't have a definitive answer about commonality, but it does seem like the items that are showing the problem were added many years ago (using the macOS app) and have not been modified much at all since. Some of the text that displays incorrectly is similar, so it is likely that once I typed in the text for one entry, I copied and pasted into subsequent ones. If I create a brand new Bank Account entry, the notes field is fine. As mentioned, for an entry that is showing incorrectly, editing the notes field on macOS does not fix the issue.

I then tried editing the note on iOS. Here is another oddity - when viewing a problem notes field, the text is all run together as described. When I edit the entry and then tap to edit the notes field, it displays correctly in 'edit mode'. When I save everything and get out of edit mode, it goes right back to being run together.

Update: As I was typing this reply, I copied the notes field text from a problem entry and pasted it into BBEdit. BBEdit shows me that I have some bad characters in place of line feeds/returns. It shows as an upside down, backwards question mark. I have tried to attach a screenshot here as FYI. Hopefully it works.

In any case, in BBEdit, I selected Text > Normalize Line Endings and this removed the bad characters. I pasted back into 1pwd, and it shows correctly on both macOS and iOS. Fortunately, I don't have a ton of entries like this, so I will just fix them using this method.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bowden: Can you clarify something for me? Are you only seeing this behaviour in 1Password for iOS, or in 1Password for Mac as well? It sounds like it's just on iOS, but I realized I might be making an assumption.

The ¿ might be a really good clue though, actually. Did you perhaps create or edit these entries on another platform, maybe Windows? I've had a lot of "interesting" experience with text encoding between platforms, and this gives me a similar vibe.

I guess to me it's interesting if 1Password for Mac treats ¿ as line endings at all. I'm not able to reproduce that though...

• Bowden
    Bowden
    Community Member

@brenty: Only seeing the text running together on iOS. It appears normal on macOS. I used to have a copy of 1pwd for Window many years ago that I used occasionally, so there is a small possibility that some of these entries were created or edited with that. The more I see with this, I am pretty convinced that copying and pasting text in the Notes field is what led to this issue. I tend to take existing entries and duplicate them (and then edit) when adding new ones, so I would have been propagating this issue to many entries. Cross platform (macOS, iOS, Windows) issues might have played a part as well. I have a little over 1000 entries in 1pwd, so it is very possible that this display issue has existed for an unknown period of time, but I just didn't come across it. My 1pwd file has been in use since version 2 on macOS from what I can recall. Therefore, it has been through many upgrades, movement from local storage on my Mac to using Dropbox, and so on.

I started looking a bit more at other entries that I have that are older and have more than a couple of lines of text in the Notes field. This is in other categories such as Software Licenses. I am seeing the no-wrap text display on iOS, but normal on macOS. Here is the odd part... When I copy the text from 1pwd to BBEdit, it does NOT show the odd characters. It looks normal. If I just copy the text in BBEdit and paste back into 1pwd (replacing all existing text), it shows fine on iOS. This is without applying any manipulation in BBEdit.

To further lend credence to the issues being with copied or duplicated text, I have found several entries where the Notes field is a mix of text run together and showing correctly on iOS. The text that is run together, is kind of 'template' text at the top of the Notes area. This is found in many of my entries. Below this 'template' text, I might have some pasted text from an email message or typed in additional text. This part is showing okay in all the entries I have spot checked.

So, I have some cleanup to do in my spare time!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Only seeing the text running together on iOS. It appears normal on macOS.

@Bowden: Thanks for verifying!

I used to have a copy of 1pwd for Window many years ago that I used occasionally, so there is a small possibility that some of these entries were created or edited with that. The more I see with this, I am pretty convinced that copying and pasting text in the Notes field is what led to this issue. I tend to take existing entries and duplicate them (and then edit) when adding new ones, so I would have been propagating this issue to many entries. Cross platform (macOS, iOS, Windows) issues might have played a part as well. I have a little over 1000 entries in 1pwd, so it is very possible that this display issue has existed for an unknown period of time, but I just didn't come across it. My 1pwd file has been in use since version 2 on macOS from what I can recall. Therefore, it has been through many upgrades, movement from local storage on my Mac to using Dropbox, and so on.

Ah, I hear you. I've run into some odd issues over the years myself as well. It's still a bit of a needle in a haystack, but it at least gives us something to go on. :)

I started looking a bit more at other entries that I have that are older and have more than a couple of lines of text in the Notes field. This is in other categories such as Software Licenses. I am seeing the no-wrap text display on iOS, but normal on macOS. Here is the odd part... When I copy the text from 1pwd to BBEdit, it does NOT show the odd characters. It looks normal. If I just copy the text in BBEdit and paste back into 1pwd (replacing all existing text), it shows fine on iOS. This is without applying any manipulation in BBEdit.

Do you have any items like this which are not sensitive, so that you could share a 1PIF with us? Or if you're able to create a brand new item that reproduces the issue without any sensitive details in it, that would be great too. Ideally, the information should be displayed the same across platforms — right or wrong — so I'd love to see if we can use this as an opportunity to improve.

To further lend credence to the issues being with copied or duplicated text, I have found several entries where the Notes field is a mix of text run together and showing correctly on iOS. The text that is run together, is kind of 'template' text at the top of the Notes area. This is found in many of my entries. Below this 'template' text, I might have some pasted text from an email message or typed in additional text. This part is showing okay in all the entries I have spot checked. So, I have some cleanup to do in my spare time!

If it's really a lot of work, maybe we can find a programmatic solution in the app. That could save you some trouble, and perhaps help others as well. Let me know if you'd be willing to provide a "sample". :glasses:

This discussion has been closed.