Trying to create a new account

Options
wpaulson
wpaulson
Community Member

I have been using 1Password app for years, decided to change to an account. On MacBook Pro, went through the process, but there is a problem with master password and was not able to access the account. I decided to open a new account with different email address in my iMac. I set up the account successfully with a new key and master password. I am able to access my vault on the agile bits website with my new new master password that is linked to my new secret key. However, 1Password on the iMac only opens to my old password, not the password created in my new account. The app contains both personal and primary items. I need to solve this problem and migrate new account to MacBook Pro and iPhone. Appreciate you help.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@wpaulson - thanks for writing in. Glad to hear you were able to set up a 1password.com account. A 1Password application will always unlock with the password of whatever vault you created/added first. That's why your iMac's copy of 1Password for Mac still unlocks with your older Master Password; because that's the Master Password you chose when you first installed.

You can change over to 1password.com only by following these instructions. Once you've added your account into 1Password and moved your data into your 1password.com account vault(s), you can then delete your old Primary vault.

On your MacBook Pro, you can download 1Password for Mac and just sign right into your account if you've never installed 1Password on that Mac previously. If you already have 1Password for Mac installed on the MacBook Pro, then you'll want to open it but don't unlock it, and visit Help > Troubleshooting > Erase all 1Password Data. This will erase any local data and quit 1Password. The next time you sign in, you'll be able to set up only your account, from the Welcome screen.

On your iPhone, if you don't have 1Password installed and in use yet, download it and at the Welcome screen, sign into your account. If you have it installed an using local data, delete the app from your iPhone, then download it from the App Store and follow the same instructions. That should get everything working the same everywhere, with only your 1password.com account. Let us know how it goes!

ref: QUJ-13434-477

This discussion has been closed.