6.8.5 MAS browser extension (and sometimes app) takes a very long time to unlock

Options
owen-b
owen-b
Community Member

As per title. Am running on a 2009-ish Macbook (Yosemite I think) and a 2012 iMac (El Capitan 10.11.6), on Chrome most often (latest) and very often if it's been a few hours or so since I needed to unlock it last 1P is taking AGES to unlock in the extension, and often in the app too. I'll enter the password and then... nothing for a minute or two. Can click the extension button and it just ignores me. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the extension, makes no difference.

Any ideas why?

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:unlock time

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@owen-b: That definitely doesn't sounds normal. Have you tried restarting your Mac? It sounds like something there may be consuming more resources than you have.

• skylarp
    skylarp
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem on a much newer computer (Late 2015 Retina 4K iMac). Running 6.8.6 from the AgileBits Store, but it’s been an issue for quite some time now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@skylarp -- yeah, something's not right there. 1Password shouldn't be eating up nearly that much of your CPU cycles. Out of curiosity, what do you see if you open Activity Monitor and sort by CPU %? Is 1Password eating up a lot of your cycles? If not, then something's wrong with the underlying setup or something else on your Mac is interfering with startup tasks. There's quite a bit that could be affecting that. Let us know what you discover, and we'll take it from there.

• skylarp
    skylarp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Lars. Of course, it just unlocked fine for me. The next time it happens, I'll check Activity Monitor and post back here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good! :) :+1:

• skylarp
    skylarp
    Community Member
    Options

Here's a related problem that just occurred. I unlocked 1Password from the Safari extension, and used it to autofill something. A few minutes later, I hit Cmd-/ again, but nothing happens. Clicking the extension icon does nothing, and there's a beachball on the 1Password mini icon in the title bar. I checked Activity Monitor, and 1Password mini was listed as not responding.

Clicking on the 1Password icon in the dock brings me to the full app, which appears to be unlocked. However, selecting a login item in the main window's second column doesn't change the selection in the third column. (Basically, it keeps showing the first item in the list, regardless of where I click in the second pane.)

I wait a few minutes, and suddenly it's like 1Password catches up with everything, popping up 1Password mini in Safari and autofilling the page (if it's still the main tab). It no longer shows as not responding in Activity Monitor, either. Coincidentally (?), I was running a sample in Activity Monitor just before (and maybe during) the app waking back up and becoming responsive again. Would that sample text be helpful?

Thanks again!

• skylarp
    skylarp
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I just had the original problem occur. I clicked the 1Password mini icon, typed in my password, and it beach balled for a couple of minutes. Here's my Activity Monitor view, which doesn't show much beyond "Not Responding".

I also collected a sample, if that helps.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

@skylarp - Yep, I'd love to get that sample, along with a diagnostics report, if you wouldn't mind:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#WUK-97556-925]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @skylarp only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: WUK-97556-925

• skylarp
    skylarp
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Done.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@skylarp - great! I've received it and sent you a reply. Let's keep the conversation going over there. :)

This discussion has been closed.