novice - migrating to 1password

Options
art3mis
art3mis
Community Member

So just trying to fully understand the pros of using 1 password. Right now I use variations of a single password for many of my online accounts which from a security point of view is probably not that great. But with 1 password I can now make these passwords MUCH more secure and random(though impossible to remember) as 1password will do ll the 'heavy lifting' and remembering for me.
And as long as I am on a 'trusted device' I only have to remember ONE master password to get access to ALL my online accounts.
For someone else to get access to my sensitive data they would have to both
1) Have access to one of my trusted devices
AND
2) Know my master password

Am I correct in my assumptions?
Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @art3mis

That is the gist of it, yes. Specific websites may still suffer breaches due to insecurities on their end, but if using a password manager (such as 1Password) properly, then generally the worst that happens is any data you’ve shared with that site is at risk. The credentials an attacker might gain from that won’t be useful elsewhere because you aren’t using those credentials elsewhere. :)

Please do note though that 1Password is just one tool in the toolbox. It is not a replacement for other security best practices. It still isn’t wise to open email attachments, etc.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.