Remove Old Vault After Upgrading to my.1password

Options
rckingsley
rckingsley
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for years, and just migrated to my.1password.com - that went well. Now I want to delete my "old" vault (since I have migrated my entries to my new private vault). However, I can't figure out how to delete it. When I open 1Password (Mac), it still shows my old 'Primary' vault, even though (in 1Password preferences) I said not to include that old vault. In addition, after looking at this forum, I couldn't find an actual way to "delete" it.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:remove vault

Comments

• rckingsley
    rckingsley
    Community Member
    Options

A follow-up on a few items.

1. On the Mac version of 1Password, even though I switched to my new vault, There was no option under "1Password" to delete a vault (even though an earlier post indicated that the method to delete a vault was to click on "1Password" at the top then click "Delete vault".

2. On IOS, after switching to the new vault, I cannot delete the old vault. When look at the information on that vault, the 'Delete Vault' is greyed out, and there is a message that says "You have several vaults outside of your 1Password accounts. They must be deleted before you can delete your Primary Vault". I have 2 separate vaults (archive and another vault being synced via Dropbox).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rckingsley: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion!

On the Mac version of 1Password, even though I switched to my new vault, There was no option under "1Password" to delete a vault (even though an earlier post indicated that the method to delete a vault was to click on "1Password" at the top then click "Delete vault".

You cannot delete a secondary vault when another is selected. You will need to select it from the vault list first to switch to it, and then you can delete it from the 1Password menu. However, since we don't want people trashing their Primary vaults will-nilly, and since that is required to use local vaults at all, the only way to delete that is to disable local vaults in 1Password Preferences > Advanced.

On IOS, after switching to the new vault, I cannot delete the old vault. When look at the information on that vault, the 'Delete Vault' is greyed out, and there is a message that says "You have several vaults outside of your 1Password accounts. They must be deleted before you can delete your Primary Vault". I have 2 separate vaults (archive and another vault being synced via Dropbox).

Correct. You will need to remove your other local vaults before you can delete the Primary. You can do this in 1Password Settings > Vaults > (vault name) > Delete. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• rckingsley
    rckingsley
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, brenty. That allowed my devices to work with the new account correctly.

It took me a while to figure out that i can create separate vaults within my account. Fortunately, I exported all of the entries from my local vaults (one was actually synchronizing with Dropbox), then I created additional vaults with my 1Password account, imported the desired entries, and now I am good to go. Thanks again for all your help.

Rick

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rckingsley - on behalf of brenty, you're quite welcome! I'm glad he was able to help you get squared away. Feel free to drop by anytime if you can't find answers to questions over on our support pages. Cheers!

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member
    Options

I just moved to 1P family, moved all my data and now still would like to clean up the old vault. No idea how to get that done.
    The prefs > Advanced has nothing on local vaults. Only a read-only checkbox about creating vaults outside of accounts.

Any ideas?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Kobes,

That is the checkbox you want (to uncheck). Is 1Password unlocked? If not that would cause that checkbox to be read-only. Additionally if you have mutliple non-account based vaults that could cause it as well. You may need to delete each vault individually. Brenty posted instructions for that here.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben! Thanks for clearing that up! I did not read that part of the thread closely because of the iOS reference, while I was working on my Mac. Should have payed more attention.
    I will try again. Thanks!

• Ben
    Options

Furher instructions (for each platform) can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Note that the Primary vault must be the last standalone vault deleted. :)

Ben

• mallexakos
    mallexakos
    Community Member
    Options

I want to delete my old primary vault after I migrate to a personal Vault. At the moment, I use my master password to enter the mac app. After, I delete my old vault, would I be able to use my new password for my personal account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mallexakos: You can certainly change the Master Password for your account if you wish, from your Profile page on the website. :)

This discussion has been closed.