All info just duplicated in app

Options
dylan
dylan
Community Member

Hi, I was having dropbox syncing issues across devices and signed up for 1password membership. Following prompts I downloaded info and now all my info in the app just duplicated itself. Help?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I just signed up for 1password membership and now all my info has duplicated in the app

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@dylan: It sounds like you just copied your data to your account, so you still have it in the original (Primary) local vault as well. Is that correct? If so, you'll see two of everything when viewing All Vaults, as both vaults have the same data, until you disable local vaults in Preferences > Advanced. Let me know what you find!

• dylan
    dylan
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Brenty. Yes, I realized shortly after that my dropbox vault was still enabled and adding the double entries. Still figuring out the 1password system. I've used it for years with dropbox and have never understood what a 'vault' and family membership means as my family has no need for separate accounts - just four or five devices we want completely shared with data. Realizing I need to better understand the difference between all 'All Vaults', 'Primary', 'Private' and 'Shared' (not to mention tags). Not totally clear on the difference between a Primary and Private Vault is. Thanks again Brenty.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dylan - A Primary vault is the default vault that anyone using 1Password in Standalone mode must have. You can create additional local vaults, but you must always have at least Primary. That's what you've had in the past, when using 1Password as a standalone app and syncing via Dropbox.

A vault called "Private" is the equivalent to Primary, but part of your 1password.com account, not local on your own device. It's essentially the one vault you must have if you have a 1password.com account. You can again create as many additional 1password.com vaults as you like or can think up a use for...but Private will always be there. If you're planning to stick with your account and get rid of your older Primary vault, just make sure all the data is transferred over from Primary to Private, then visit 1Password > Preferences > Advanced (the gear icon on the top right of the Preferences window), and DE-select the box that says Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts. That will leave you running only your 1Password account, instead of both. Duplicates: gone. :)

• dylan
    dylan
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Lars. So as long as everyone is using 'All Vaults' and saving any new data to 'Shared Vaults' (default vault for saving), then everyone will have all the same info? I currently have 'saved' and 'shared' vaults checked under vaults included because it seems to see both my wife's and my previous entries as private (before using 1password online as our backup) and therefore is not sharing our previous data under shared. it appears only new data will appear under shared. Clicking only private will only show my previous entries and the same for my wife and her previous entries. It's a little confusing for those of us who previously shared everything and saved/sync'd using either iCloud or Dropbox with no mention of vaults. Everything just automatically sync'd between users and devices. I think I'm catching on though...

• Ben
    Options

Correct; any information that you want to be shared should be in a shared vault (i.e. not a “Private” / “Personal” vault). If you have items in a non-shared vault and want to share them you can move them to a shared vault:

Move items between vaults

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.