Touch ID preferences

Comments

• TristanTrx
    TristanTrx
    Community Member

Hey

Just incase you aren’t planning on following @brentys advice soon your iPhone app is set up by default to require your master password every 2 weeks or after a restart. Don’t want you getting fully locked out.

You can change this by.

opening the app with Touch ID.
    scroll down and select ‘Advanced’.
    select ‘Security’ and change the ‘Require Master Password’ setting.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TristanTrx: Thanks! My concern is that there are other things that can cause Touch ID to be disabled — for example, the iOS update that was released today. Also, if you change your Touch ID settings in iOS Settings, that will disable Touch ID in 1Password. Otherwise anyone you give access to the device could add their own fingerprint there to get around your Master Password. Cheers! :)

• TristanTrx
    TristanTrx
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty!

Sorry, I probably should’ve been a little more clear. It’s a very short term recommendation, until @seaxw has the opportunity to follow your advice above. Potentially avoiding getting locked out of sites in the meantime.

The update shouldn’t be cause for too much concern as TouchID is controlled globally and when activated again to access the homescreen it will activate for the apps. Completely agree with the security of TouchID and it’s definitely prudent to follow best security practices with who has access to our phones :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

Sorry, I probably should’ve been a little more clear. It’s a very short term recommendation, until @seaxw has the opportunity to follow your advice above. Potentially avoiding getting locked out of sites in the meantime.

@TristanTrx: Honestly if there hadn't been an update released today I would be less concerned, but it's an important one and yet it will disable Touch ID once its applied. :sweat:

The update shouldn’t be cause for too much concern as TouchID is controlled globally and when activated again to access the homescreen it will activate for the apps.

I want to be clear that that statement is not accurate. After updating iOS, the Master Password will be required to enable Touch ID in 1Password again, just as the device passcode will be required to unlock the iPhone/iPad the first time after updating. :fearful:

• TristanTrx
    TristanTrx
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

Hey @brenty

This maybe unclear on both our parts so I apologise for any confusion from my side. After updating and opening the 1Password app it will ask for the master password, though below that there is a TouchID icon. Press the icon and it will ask for the usual TouchID input instead of the master password.

Hope this clears things up :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TristanTrx: Updating 1Password won't affect Touch ID; updating iOS will. If you update iOS, Touch ID will be unavailable in 1Password. There will not be a "fingerprint" icon there either. The only way to use Touch ID again in 1Password at that point is to enter the Master Password correctly to unlock first. Hopefully that helps clarify. :)

• TristanTrx
    TristanTrx
    Community Member

It’s possibly a new feature as I’ve not noticed it before myself either.

Here’s a screenshot after updating to IOS 11.2.5 30mins ago and first time login to 1Password :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TristanTrx: Hmm. That's really odd, because I updated my iPhone just before I replied here earlier, and, having not unlocked 1Password there yet, it still requires the Master Password. Does that "fingerprint" icon work for you there? If so, how to you have 1Password Settings > Security and 1Password Settings > Advanced > Security set to? Perhaps ours are configured differently. Thanks in advance!

• TristanTrx
    TristanTrx
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

No probs @brenty :) only trying to help

It’s in relation to my original post. If you look at the 1Password settings. It says that it will require the master password every time you restart your device and every 2 weeks. Which is why I thought it best @seaxw change this setting till they follow your advice :) so they don’t lose access to sites in the meantime.

I’m replying on my phone so I can’t link to the specific comment.

Though the instructions to change it are above :)

I wouldn’t advise changing it in usual circumstances though it is useful when there is a possibility of getting locked out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TristanTrx: No problem. Indeed, if you've changed your settings from the defaults, it may behave differently than it does for me and others. I was just trying to confirm your current settings in 1Password Settings > Security and 1Password Settings > Advanced > Security. Your screenshot only shows the latter, and I don't know when that was taken. What's most important to me is that people don't expect to be able to rely on Touch ID, since their Master Password will be required at times. Better safe than sorry! :blush:

• TristanTrx
    TristanTrx
    Community Member

I find it useful as my master password is not memorable and stored in an encrypted file. If I had this set to default I would have to get my master password every time I restart my phone. It’s like having a third layer of security :)

Here’s a screenshot

• TristanTrx
    TristanTrx
    Community Member

Sorry @brenty

I was busy, so only got the chance for a quick reply with screenshot. As I said it’s not something I would advise to be relied on though in instances such as this it may keep usability until the actual issue is resolved.

Hope it helps anyway :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

No need to apologize. We just want to make sure we're not helping people shoot themselves in the foot by relying on Touch ID to the extent that they get locked out of their data, not knowing their Master Password. :)

Edit: I've split this off into a separate discussion since it's gone a bit off topic into different Touch ID preferences in general.

• TristanTrx
    TristanTrx
    Community Member

@brenty That’s cool.

Hopefully no people shooting themselves in the foot by relying on it. It’s only advice for a specific situation and definitely NOT advice for constant running of 1Password or a replacement of the Master password :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018

Amen! :chuffed: :+1:

And just to set the record straight, you were right about one thing earlier which I glossed over:

After updating iOS, the Master Password will be required to enable Touch ID in 1Password again, just as the device passcode will be required to unlock the iPhone/iPad the first time after updating.

This isn't the case with every iOS update, only those which affect the Keychain in some way...which is a lot of them, and since there's no way to know until you reboot after the update, I hope you'll forgive me for taking some liberty there. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.