Syncing between to vaults

joel0604
joel0604
Community Member

Here's my old set up
Primary Vault -> Dropbox
Access to this vault is used on my Home PC and Work Mac Laptop

New Setup
Due to some restrictions at work, Dropbox is no longer an option on my work network, so I set up the following

• Primary Vault -> Dropbox
  • Work Vault-> Local File System on Work Mac Laptop
    I was able to import the dropbox vault to the local file system on my work laptop and got my new work vault working.

When I'm home with my work laptop, I would like to keep the two vaults up to date with each other. In other words sync the work vault -> local filesytem with the primary vault-> dropbox and vice versa. Is that possible? I tried running a test to just using import my home vault from dropbox to my work vault on the local file system, but it didn't do a merge. It duplicated everything.

Thanks!!!
Joel

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joel0604: Without sync, there's no way to...well, sync them with each other. Either you're missing something or I am: how are you planning on getting the data to the work computer? Keep in mind that since Dropbox sync is just 1Password syncing a vault to a local folder, so if you have access to Dropbox when leaving the office with that laptop, you can just use Dropbox sync anyway, just not on their network.

However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since that has sync built in. And it also gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

Alternatively, you could just copy the vault over manually on a USB drive or something...if they'll allow that. But yeah, importing isn't going to "merge" anything; that's a sync function. Either way, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• joel0604
    joel0604
    Community Member

I did an export of my dropbox vault to my work computer and stored it on it's local filesystem. I was going to manually update once a week if a "merge" between the two vaults was possible.

I'm just doing research before I commit to a 1password membership which I am leaning towards.

• I don’t believe what you’ve described will work the way you want it to. There is no merge process when importing — all of the data in the export file will be added to the vault, so unless you explicitly only export items that have changed on the other device you’ll end up with duplicates and have to wrangle which item is the latest version.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.