WLAN sync - unable to connect

pjain
pjain
Community Member

I updated my ios app (I have the Pro features too). I synced it using WLAN Sync & it worked. I had to delete my 1password app on Mac as I was facing some issues (app was hanging). I reinstalled it from the 1password site. After that, I'm unable to set up WLAN sync. MAC OS - 10.13.2, 1password on MAC - 6.8.6. I enable WLAN Server on MAC, then go to 1password on iOS. When I select - Sync with WLAN server, it says - one moment please... and then gets stuck on it forever.
Steps I've taken -
1) All of the ones outlined in your help article (please don't ask me to try those again)
2) Have deleted iOS app, reinstalled, restored backup & tried again.
3) Hard reset on iPhone, general restart on iphone.
4) Have deleted MAC app & tried again. Wifi - forgot network & reconnected. Deleted Cache & restarted MAC.
5) Have tried with wifi as well as personal hotspot.

I still can't make it work - and no - I don't want to use iCloud, dropbox or 1password account. I just want to use WLAN Sync. Is there anything that can be done?

1Password Version: 7.0.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.2.1
Sync Type: WLAN
Referrer: forum-search:wlan sync not working

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pjain: While you're welcome to use WLAN Server (that's what me made it for, after all!) just keep in mind that it does rely heavily on your setup. I think you may have hit the nail on the head here though:

I had to delete my 1password app on Mac as I was facing some issues (app was hanging). I reinstalled it from the 1password site.

I'd like to hear the specifics of what you did to "delete" 1Password, but there's a good chance you wiped it out on the Mac and the iOS device was trying to talk to the old copy of the app rather than the new one. I'd also be curious about what "issues" you were having that prompted all of this, as well as exactly where you're running into trouble in the sync process since you didn't include many details in your post, but it sounds like you may just need to regenerate the "secret" in 1Password for Mac Preferences > WLAN Server and setup sync in 1Password for iOS:

WLAN Server setup

Make sure you update macOS and iOS first though, as you're a bit behind on both. If you're still having trouble, follow all of the steps here, as they'll help narrow down the problem:

WLAN Server troubleshooting

Let me know if you encounter any errors, and exactly what is (or is not) happening as you expect. Thanks in advance! :)

• pjain
    pjain
    Community Member

Thanks. I've regenerated the secret, but it doesn't help. For now, MAC OS & iOS show me as updated ( I just checked - no update available), so maybe we haven't got the latest release here yet.
    And I did mention my issue:
    When I select - Sync with WLAN server on the iOS app, it says - one moment please... and then gets stuck on it forever. Nothing happens after that, no matter how long I wait. And I've already outlined what all I've done. That includes your advice as well. But no luck as of now.

• Hi @pjain,

Did you try the computer-to-computer (“ad hoc”) network step described in the above guide? Please note that this is different than using a personal hotspot.

Please let us know.

Ben

• pjain
    pjain
    Community Member

What finally worked was connecting to another wifi - I was using the hotspot from my iPhone on my Mac. That won't let me sync. But connecting both iPhone & Mac to another wifi did the trick. After the first sync, I could sync with the hotspot too.

Hope this helps someone else facing the same issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pjain: Thank you so much for the update! That's interesting. It sounds like the connection itself isn't being blocked, but Bonjour zero config must be (which is the network discovery used to establish the initial connection securely). I've run into similar issues with hotspots/tethering myself (or just Wi-Fi networks which I don't control). I suspect they block a lot of traffic since they don't want people unwittingly sharing with other users on the network — like when I used to be able to see other customer's Windows file shares when I first got setup with cable internet... :crazy:

This discussion has been closed.