Suggestion: auto-suggest my most-used default email address as login username

Options
ketri
ketri
Community Member

Hi!

I'd assume folks usually use 1-2 (gmail) addresses as logins for all their accounts. 1password could auto-suggest that. Or at least auto-complete, so when a user who usually uses exampledude@gmail.com, when he'd start writing "ex..." 1password could auto-suggest the email address that he'll definitely want to write as the login username.

This could be done in mobile and desktop apps.

Thanks! Great product.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, @ketri. We don’t currently fill anything into web pages until you manually invoke the extension, but most web browsers do have the ability to do predictive auto-complete like you’re talking about. It may be something we can look into doing in 1Password. Thanks again!

Ben

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ketri,

Along the lines of what Ben mentioned:

… most web browsers do have the ability to do predictive auto-complete like you’re talking about.

The text replacement feature in macOS might also help you with that:

macOS Sierra: Replace text and punctuation in documents

Cheers! :)

• ketri
    ketri
    Community Member
    Options

I meant inside 1password apps, now anything to do with browsers :) so for example:

1. I download a new random app for iphone
    2. I have to create account and copy-paste back and forth between New Random App and 1Password iOS -app to generate password, save the login info to 1password etc.
    3. Here 1password iOS -app could do something smart (like it does with password: automatically copy to clipboard when generating password and saving the login). So perhaps same kinda stuff but for email. So for example 1Password could be like: "do you want to create a login with firstnamelastname@gmail.com that you always use, and copy it to clipboard to be pasted to the new random app you downloaded?"
    4. Yes, I do!
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ketri - thanks for the suggestions! We're always looking for ways to make 1Password more helpful to the end-user while also maintaining security. That's sometimes why features which might seem simple to add or modify in fact are not; we need to be able to deliver them in a way that we can verify is secure. I'll pass this along to our development team, and if you have ideas in the future, keep 'em coming! Many of the features you see today in 1Password had their start at least in part out of suggestions from the user community. So, thanks for being part of that! :)

• loopless1
    loopless1
    Community Member
    Options

I would second this request. I have a long email address ( I have my own domain) and it’s really annoying to have to retype this every time I create a login inside the iOS App. I also use a common username for many accounts.. auto complete of commonly user names/emails would be a great help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for sharing your wishes with us, @loopless1!

• ripshiner
    ripshiner
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

This is a feature I’ve wished to see for a long time. Something a bit more intuitive that could auto fill or at least suggest options from a personal profile page set up in the settings of the app. Thanks, love the service.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @ripshiner! Thanks for adding your voice for this ability. It's tougher than it looks to consider doing this, since our first priority is security and privacy. Anything that autocompletes or auto-submits or anything of that nature on a webpage without explicit instructions or at least consent of the user is potentially a security hole.

• ripshiner
    ripshiner
    Community Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thanks Lars, I appreciate that. That feature I'd love to see would only be for use within the app itself, both ios and osx versions. So, for example, when creating a new login in the 1password app, I wouldn't need to type in my email address or other common login names every time. Whenever I type them in I think surely there must be a quicker way to have the option to pre-fill some of these fields? The main use for this is if I'm signing to a new service, app, etc. on my ios device and need to create a password. I have to leave the page or app and go to 1password to generate the password and copy paste it across and then make sure I save that generated password within the 1password app with the relevant details. Perhaps there's a better workflow on my device that I should be following instead?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ripshiner - yep, I understand the idea -- and it's definitely got some merit. I'll certainly mention your wishes to the developers; I just can't give you any sort of idea whether we'll pursue this - or when.

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member
    Options

In this context would selecting an Identity to autofill an email address work as desired? If so, then you could make several identities with your favorite email logins...

And you could put those Identities in your Favorites for easy access on the iPhone.

• Ben
    Options

@rlh

Indeed that may be one possible solution.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.