Windows app not working for team member after 1P recovery

rcphmc
rcphmc
Community Member

We have successfully done 1Password recovery but no matter what we do, the Windows app will not accept the new master password for the user. We have tried uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling the Windows app but the app still gives us the red password not accepted animation. We would go through the setup process again but 1Password isn't taking us through the part where we can scan the code. Very frustrating since we need to get to this company data. How can we get the Windows app to let us back in?

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Win 7 Pro
Sync Type: 1Password Team Account
Referrer: forum-search:recovery

Comments

• I am sorry to hear about the trouble with the Windows app!

Are you able to sign-in with the same information using the browser?

• rcphmc
    rcphmc
    Community Member

Yes

• Thank you for getting back to us so quickly!

If you haven't done this yet, I would try to reset 1Password data and try register the account again:
    https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

You would then be able to add this account again using the emergency kit.

• rcphmc
    rcphmc
    Community Member

There is no emergency kit info for this user. We have the new secret key and the password though. Why is the Windows app not allowing us to use these updated credentials? Even after we have completely uninstalled the app and reinstalled it? It’s like it is not communicating with the 1Password account.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @rcphmc,

Sorry for the troubles and confusion! It sounds like 1Password app on this PC still has old credentials in its database.

The thing is that the database is stored separately from the app, so the reinstallation of the app doesn't reset it. Please do the following to start over with 1Password app on this computer:

1. Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    2. Rename data folder to backup-data
    3. Open 1Password and sign in to their team account with new credentials (here is how you can use Setup Code to fill them)

This should give 1Password a chance to recreate your database correctly. Please give this a try and let us know how it goes. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• gareth_muirhead
    gareth_muirhead
    Community Member

Hi,

I've had the same problem with a team member. We did the full recovery process, but they still can't login to the Windows App with the new Master Password, and it doesn't give the option to get rid of the stored key or "login as a different user" on the app. Pity. I will try the manual workaround above.

Gareth

• rcphmc
    rcphmc
    Community Member

You have to do the steps above to rename the locally stored versions so 1Password can create a new set. After that, it works. It's not intuitive, but that's Windows. It should be more spelled out in the 1Password recovery steps.

• Thanks for the assist @rcphmc, and for the suggestion about the documentation. I’ll pass that along to our docs team.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.