1Password 7 for Windows Alpha 1 is here!

Yes, you've read that correctly, 1Password 7.0 for Windows Alpha 1 is here!

We have a lot of new features in this build and we are giving you early access to the said new features, some are still being worked on and many more to come. Please read the known issues below and expect the app to be slightly more unstable than the usual beta builds for this major update, specifically the standalone vaults feature. Be sure to back up your standalone vaults before you use it in 1Password 7.

A short summary of what's new in this build: standalone vaults, unlock with Windows Hello, localization, search highlighting, add Related Items, show/add Custom Icons, complete Security Audit, Document Image Preview, Scan my Screen for 1Password setup code, and more!

And that's just the beginning. We'd love to know your thoughts on this update here.

Note: While standalone vaults are now available in this alpha update, you'd still need a valid 1Password membership to open/create new standalone vaults. The ability to use standalone vaults without the membership is coming in a future alpha update.

Changelog:

[NEW] Support for adding and creating new standalone vaults (OPVault only); Sync is not fully complete yet, initial Folder Sync is available if you open a vault from a folder that's already synced on drive such as Dropbox. {OPW-1488}
[NEW] Bulk tag editing support is now available, right-click on one or multiple items to add, create new, or remove tags. Ability to modify tags on the sidebar (including renaming tags) is coming in a future update. {OPW-433}
[NEW] You can now add items to other items as Related Items, like adding your Bank Account item to a Login item for the bank website. {OPW-784}
[NEW] 1Password now highlights your search results. {OPW-1793}
[NEW] 1Password now support translations and we're starting with English (UK), French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish. You can choose the language via 1Password Menu > Language. {OPW-685, OPW-578}
[NEW] Unlock with Windows Hello is here! This feature is automatically enabled once you unlock with your master password first and then as long as 1Password has not been terminated, it will show the button next to your password field to unlock with Windows Hello. {OPW-670}
[NEW] Type in Window for quickly typing your content into an app window you select. To use this: open 1Password mini, right-click on an item and expand the field you want to "Type in Window".
[NEW] 1Password mini will temporarily remember the last item you've selected when you're copying your data on top of a specific app. This is useful for when copying the password after pasting in the username in an app that's not a web browser.
[NEW] 1Password now uses its own built-in solution for update checks, which means HockeyApp registration is no longer required for alpha/beta updates. {OPW-933, OPW-667}
[NEW] Added Check for Updates to the 1Password menu for quicker update checks. {OPW-1701}
[NEW] When an update is available, 1Password will slightly change the color of the 1Password menu to alert you of an update. {OPW-1701}
[NEW] 1Password now submit crash reports to our own 1Password.com endpoint instead of HockeyApp. For alpha/beta users, we now submit crash reports automatically. {OPW-667}
[NEW] Security Audit has arrived with the Weak Passwords, Duplicates, and the password age date filters. {OPW-84}
[NEW] Custom icon for your items is now available; 1Password will sync your existing custom icons from your 1Password account and you can now edit your items, click on its icon to add or remove a custom icon. {OPW-238, OPW-1407}
[NEW] Inline document preview is now available for images such as JPG, PNG, BMP and GIF files, size is limited to 1MB or smaller. They're cached in 1Password's local encrypted database and you can find its setting in Settings > General. {OPW-872}
[NEW] 1Password can now scan your screen for the one-time password barcode (two-factor authentication) to save it into your Login items. To use this, click on the barcode icon next to your TOTP custom field and select from my screen. {OPW-1553}
[NEW] If you have other 1Password accounts saved as Login items in your 1Password database, you can now right-click on them to sign in quickly if you haven't done so.
[IMPROVED] Improved the "no items found" messages in Watchtower and other Security Audit features. {OPW-1597}
[IMPROVED] Extended the logs retention policy to 14 days instead of 7 days.
[IMPROVED] Diagnostics report will now record running browsers instead of the ones that 1Password is connected to. This will help with determining if the installed/running browsers are outdated. {OPW-1732}
[FIXED] When converting Password items to Login in other 1Password apps, 1Password on Windows didn't refresh right away. {OPW-1773}
[FIXED] Removed the resize handler on the bottom right to allow scrolling down with the scrollbar. {OPW-1736}
[FIXED] 1Password may get stuck in a loop uploading files in certain network conditions. {OPW-1731}
[FIXED] Mouse clicks sometime does not do anything in 1Password mini. {OPW-1809}
[FIXED] Share button in the item list column does not refresh properly or even display its menu sometime. {OPW-1803}
[FIXED] When duplicating a Login item, the duplicated item would incorrectly be saved with the original item's password history and/or attachment(s). {OPW-1261}

Known issues:

• Legacy AgileKeychain vaults cannot be opened directly for conversion to OPVault yet. Instead, create a new vault first via File Menu > New vault on this PC...and then import AgileKeychain into the new vault. {OPW-1806}
  • Attachments cannot be added to standalone vaults yet. {OPW-1778}
  • In this alpha update, opening existing standalone vaults in a sync'ed folder (Dropbox, etc) will allow 1Password to detect changes but 1Password will not sync changes made in the app back to the folder just yet. Full sync support is coming soon and for now, they'll be collected in Offline Changes to be sync'ed.
  • As licensing is not yet implemented, standalone vaults would require you to be signed in first to a valid 1Password account.
  • 1Password mini is dismissed when unlocking via Windows Hello. {OPW-1811}
  • Search highlighting does not work in the note field. This is coming in a future update. {OPW-1815}
  • Categories and its templates are not localized at the moment.
  • Sidebar sometime does not highlight the correct item. If you restart 1Password, it would incorrectly highlight the All Items instead of the previous view. {OPW-1737}
  • Unlocking after the initial launch of 1Password may sometime show a clear view and/or it locks again. This will be fixed in the next few alpha updates. {OPW-1829}
  • The previous 6th versioned 1Password folder will be cleaned up in a future update. {OPW-1830} *Fixed in the alpha 511 update*

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Congratulations with this first step!

Native Messaging (in Chrome/Firefox) is off by default. Which option is safer? (select/deselect)

• SergeyTheAgile
    edited January 2018

@XIII it needs to be selected in order to talk to browsers, thanks for letting us know, we will do fix shortly.

update: fix is deployed, either try 1Password > Check for updates or wait an hour and it will find an update.

• lhagan
    lhagan
    Community Member

Any news on the Edge extension? I gave up on it a month or so ago because it was so unstable that it was pretty much useless. It also caused frequent crashes of 1Password and Edge itself, so I'm leery to even try it again.

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

Did the download disappear?

• Hi guys,

@lhagan, did you try the last update, 6.8.496? It had some improvements to help with Edge related issues.

@TravelSD, we've pulled 506 to fix the issue that XIII bought up and shipped 507 right away. Check for an update now, it should be available. I've just installed 507 now.

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

Ya got 507, but now Firefox is totally broken. The 1PW is now ghosted out and doesn't respond to anything. I re-installed the FF extension to no avail.

• Hi @TravelSD,

Is Native Messaging enabled? That was the bug in 506, the native messaging support for Firefox was not enabled. Open 1Password 7, unlock, and go to 1Password Menu > Settings > Advanced. Make sure Enable Native Messaging for Firefox is enabled.

Note that it is normal that 1Password extension are disabled for around 30 seconds after an update, it is our way to ensuring the 1Password extension does not launch an old version while we're replacing files.

• lhagan
    lhagan
    Community Member

@MikeT, no I didn't try 496. Am I better off giving that a shot or sticking with 507?

• MikeT
    edited January 2018

Hi @lhagan,

It's up to you, 507 is a beta build with a lot of new features but it may be unstable and it doesn't have anything new for Edge that 496 doesn't already have. In fact, we added the Edge related improvements first to our internal 1Password 7 builds and backported it to 1Password 6 as a small update.

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

After a few minutes the FF 1PW button works again.

• Hi @TravelSD,

Great, thanks for letting us know.

• Hatclub
    Hatclub
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

I have ghosted and inoperable 1p chrome (and firefox) extension buttons. ctrl-\ does nothing. (the system wide hotkey ctrl-alt-\, does)
    Native messaging is on.
    Build is 7.0.507.

1P has been unlocked for some time, and chrome's been restarted. Both were showing as simply 'disconnected' in 1password. I tried removing the association, but haven't been prompted in any way to re-establish.

Tried downloading 1p beta extension, no improvement - same behaviour!

Windows 10 64-bit.

(By the way, while I am stoked for 'type in window' (this beats the as yet still unimplemented 'type clipboard contents' button I had asked TeamViewer for), can we perhaps have a keyboard modifier so that you could shift-click the field name - or even a default action for clicking on the field name - to copy to clipboard?)

• the_benlow03
    the_benlow03
    Community Member

I was trying to update 1Password to version 7.0.506, and it isn't working. I will click update, the 1Password window will close, and an installer window will pop up. But that installer window closes within a second, and the update doesn't go through. I tried multiple times, with no success. How do I update to the latest version?

• MikeT
    edited January 2018

Hi guys,

@the_benlow03, do you have any anti-malware solution running or Flux? Try closing all web browsers, disable the AV temporarily and then ask 1Password to install the update. If it still doesn't work, try a direct download here and see if it works. You may have to reboot first before installing the update manually just in case.

@Hatclub, could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at [email protected]. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

...can we perhaps have a keyboard modifier so that you could shift-click the field name - or even a default action for clicking on the field name - to copy to clipboard?)

Yes, we do plan to improve on this in the future. There are some weird issues we're dealing with when it comes to keyboard actions within 1Password mini. Once we can fix that, we'll be able to make 1Password mini far more usable with the keyboard only and do more automated stuff like this.

This is also the beginning of our path toward implementing AutoType from 1Password 4. You'd be able to just press Control + \ on top of an app to just have 1Password fill the data in automatically (type username + tab + type password + enter) if there is a Login item that is associated to the app you're on.

• Hatclub
    Hatclub
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

( I don't know if it's also relevant to my issue, but when you say flux, do you mean f.lux? (https://justgetflux.com/) - I do have this installed, and it's currently colour shifted to night mode (it's 2am). I closed it, but my 1P extension is still greyed out. )

The diagnostic report it just exported is 116MB (!), so I zipped it up. Ticket is EFL-17649-236

This is also the beginning of our path toward implementing AutoType from 1Password 4. You'd be able to just press Control + \ on top of an app to just have 1Password fill the data in automatically (type username + tab + type password + enter) if there is a Login item that is associated to the app you're on.

Don't forget to allow us to toggle between "tab" and "enter" for the auto-type settings between fields and timing delays between entries - if it could remember a default mechanism per app, and still allow per-use overrides, double bonus! This will transform my interactions with my SSH client.

If we could get some way of making a per item macro ($username + ENTER + SLEEP(100ms) + $password + ENTER + SLEEP(100ms) + $totp + ENTER) ....... :dizzy:

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Is it just me, or is there a delay when you do the following:
    1. Right-click an item
    2. Mouse-over a submenu (e.g. share) to open it
    3. Move your mouse to another entry in the right-click menu
    4. The submenu opened in 2 closes but only after a short delay. Also the highlight under the mouse cursor is also moving after a short delay to "catch up".

• Hatclub
    Hatclub
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

Ticket is EFL-17649-236

I can confirm that rebooting my whole PC as advised by Sergey appears to have cleared up the issue between extension and application.

While I'm here though, I'd like to just chuck my "I'd like double-clicking the tray to open the full 1password, please, because single-clicking already opens mini" request back in the ring...

I can also see the delay that Manaburner is referring to when moving between right click menu options (3), but right clicking items (1) in mini and full 1password seem ok to me.
    "Share" etc (2) don't do anything on mouseover here, only if I click, and there's no real delay here either.

• @Hatclub glad it worked, thanks for letting us know! There is less known trick that can help while waiting for double click to open app - Ctrl+click on taskbar notification icon to open main app.

• IvanVaccari6
    IvanVaccari6
    Community Member

Thanks for your job! One question, there is a one time common license in order to use 1Password 7 beta1 for Windows and a 1Password version for Mac? Thanks

• WGBeekhuis
    WGBeekhuis
    Community Member

Hi Agilebits guys,

Tomorrow I will give 1Pwd 7.0.507 a try to test. Now I have 4.6.2.626 running on my W10-pro PC. and on my Mac 1Password 6
    Version 6.8.6 (686004). I just make a copy of the Opvault db as usual before I install the Windows Beta.
    Is the Opvault database compatible to both platforms?

• gnarreb
    gnarreb
    Community Member

Hi Friends,

507 was offered as an update on my machine and I accepted. The machine is the last 20 minutes occupied 100% of CPU by 1Password. Is this to be expected? And for how long?

Best regards
    Thomas

• gnarreb
    gnarreb
    Community Member

Install managed

Hi guys,

I killed the 1 Password in the task Manager and did an Install from MikeT here.
    It took just seconds to install that way.

Thomas

• AdamP
    AdamP
    Community Member

Windows Hello support FTW!! Love to see this brought back, thanks!

• bhicken
    bhicken
    Community Member

Hi, I have updated to 7.0.507 and now task manager shows "1Password for Windows desktop (32 bit)" consuming 85%-95% of my CPU. There is an another 'Background process' "1Password for Windows Desktop" consuming 0%-1% CPU.
    This high CPU utilization has been running for over an hour and returns after rebooting.

• mscrivo
    mscrivo
    Community Member

Thank you for finally releasing a version with local vault support!

Seeing same high CPU issue as @bhicken.

Also, how do you remove old folder vaults? When I try right clicking on it, and "manage vaults" it takes me to this: https://vaults/details/{id} which doesn't work.

• ScottBriggs
    ScottBriggs
    Community Member

Every thing is awesome!! The triumphant return of Windows Hello unlock!!!

Windows Hello unlocks works on my desktop and surface pro 4 (both pin and face recognition respectively).

Don't get me wrong, after all these years I can type my ridiculously long master password ridiculously quickly, so thanks for that training ;) but big thanks for bringing Windows Hello unlock back!!!

Take care and keep up the good work!

• jahands
    jahands
    Community Member

I'm excited about local vault support! As soon as attachments are implemented I'll be making regular local backups of my account.

• Hi guys,

@Hatclub,

but when you say flux, do you mean f.lux?

yes, I meant f.lux, it blocks 1Password installation for many users due of it locking certain files that 1Password installer can't replace.

Don't forget to allow us to toggle between "tab" and "enter" for the auto-type settings between fields and timing delays between entries - if it could remember a default mechanism per app, and still allow per-use overrides, double bonus! This will transform my interactions with my SSH client.

Enter would be optional as per the submit value but yea, timing control is more of a AutoType version 2 type of change.

You could try using our 1Password CLI tool for that: https://blog.agilebits.com/2018/01/11/1password-command-line-tool-0-2-tims-new-toys/

I'm not sure if it works well in WSL on Windows 10. I haven't seen anyone try it in WSL.

@manaburner,

Is it just me, or is there a delay when you do the following:

I can reproduce that here as well, I've filed a bug report to look into it. It is a default delay for submenu but it does feel much slower than it should be.

ref: OPW6-1836

@arianelu:

As a brand new application, i can't believe it not support "Per-Monitor DPI aware"

It's not a brand new app in that sense, the core of the app started a few years ago before Per-Monitor DPI was still not a sure thing in .NET. Microsoft added improvements for Per-Monitor DPI in .NET 4.6.2 (article here)but we're still on .NET 4.6.1 for the moment. When we update our .NET target, we'll look into implementing the Per-Monitor DPI support. Or even better option would be to switch to UWP if Microsoft improves the technology fast enough.

Will automatic backup be implement? just like 1Password 4, or it will never be implement due 1Password Cloud support history

Yes, absolutely. We plan to add automatic backups for standalone vaults as soon as we finish with standalone vaults. To make the backups work properly, we need to write externally to OPVault first and then we can compress it into a zipped backup. Right now, it's not yet complete but they both are planned for the first 7.0 release.

As for 1Password.com subscription, we have some plans for a different archival method for it but we'll release more details later when we're ready.

@IvanVaccari6,

Thanks for your job! One question, there is a one time common license in order to use 1Password 7 beta1 for Windows and a 1Password version for Mac? Thanks

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly but there may be two answers:

1. We haven't decided yet on what kind of standalone licenses we'll be selling for 1Password 7, meaning we may just have two separate licenses or we may also sell a bundled Mac+Windows license that we had in the past. We'll be releasing more details in time but for now, our primary focus is completing the work on the first 1Password 7 for Windows release, which is still a long away. We're really early in the development.
    2. Yes, we will be supporting licensing soon to let you use standalone vaults without 1Password.com subscription. 1Password.com users can also use standalone vaults as well.

@WGBeekhuis:

Is the Opvault database compatible to both platforms?

Yes, OPVault is the only standalone vault format we will be using on all platforms from now on. AgileKeychain will only be supported for importing/converting into OPVault but the old AgileKeychain will not be supported in future releases.

Just to be clear, beta 1 still requires you to be signed into 1Password membership in order to get the option to add a new vault or open a vault. We haven't redesigned the initial tour to support standalone vault first but it is coming soon.

@Gnarreb,

507 was offered as an update on my machine and I accepted. The machine is the last 20 minutes occupied 100% of CPU by 1Password. Is this to be expected? And for how long?

Definitely not normal at all, it should be done within 30 seconds or less on a decent machine. We've actually simplified 1Password now, so that it only installs less than 18 files, not ~20-40 files we had before and we hope to compress it more soon.

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, so we can see what went wrong. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at [email protected]. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

@bhicken and @mscrivo,

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at [email protected]. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

@mscrivo,

Also, how do you remove old folder vaults?

If you right click on the vault,, there's a Remove option below Manage Vaults. We'll hide Manage Vault in the next beta update, it is a part of something else we're working on but haven't included in beta 1.

@ScottBriggs,

yep, it is nice to use the Windows Hello to avoid typing the long master password all day long. Our developers have to unlock hundreds of time per day, so they're enjoying the heck out fo Hello right now.

@jahands,

Yep, we (for all platforms) have a different plan for archiving 1Password accounts. Stay tuned.

• mscrivo
    mscrivo
    Community Member

@MikeT Emailed report, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.