Switching WLAN Servers for Sync

1username
1username
Community Member

Just switched to Android from Iphone, currently using the pixel 2. In the past with the iphone I have used WLAN sync to sync my passwords from both my Windows 10 PC and my macbook pro. I would sync to one using the app then change WLAN server on my iphone which would disable sync and allow me to pick a different computer to sync. I am now attempting to do the same with my new android phone but do not see any option to do so in the android app. I have already synced to my macbook pro but am unable to switch wlan servers and sync to my pc. Please tell there is a way to do this.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 8.1.0
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@1username: This is not supported. WLAN Server works between a single computer (the server) and one or more mobile devices (the clients). Switching destroys the sync state and can lead to conflicts and data loss. That's why there isn't an option to do so. I'd encourage you to check out the other available sync methods as they're more flexible with regard to what syncs with what, as they're not relying on a local server. And, after all, your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. I hope this helps. Cheers! :)

• pmhparis
    pmhparis
    Community Member

I assume that the original poster syncs his vaults between his Mac & his Windows PC & doesn't use two completely different vaults. If there are two completely different vaults, clearly it should not work.

Lets say that I don't have a 1password.com account to sync with & that I use Dropbox to do it. If I update the vault on the Mac it'll get synced to my Windows automatically.

Now let's add in that the Mac is at home & the Windows is at work.

Shouldn't I be able to WLAN sync from either the Mac or the Windows WLAN server?

• 1username
    1username
    Community Member

You are correct @pmhparis. In the past I have used wlan sync on my iPhone to sync the same vault to both computers, one at home, and one at work. It's worked flawlessly for the past year+ on iphone but unfortunately the option doesn't exist on Android.

I did find a solution, although a bit convoluted.

I attempted to sync both to Dropbox but this created two separate vaults with 99% redundancy. Luckily I still have access to an iPhone so I synced both computers using the wlan sync on iPhone to be perfect matches. I then deleted the windows vault and set the MacBook vault to sync with Dropbox. Reinstalled 1password on Windows and selected the Dropbox file to sync. Then selected the same vault for the Android phone.

All of this worked but I did like the idea of only having vaults stored on my devices and off the cloud. Yes, I am aware of the encryption on the Dropbox file, however, I feel no online access is still better than encrypted online access. It seemed that switching wlan servers (or sync methods altogether) was a built in feature on the iOS app that is lacking from Android. @brenty makes this sound like your vault will corrupt and self destruct if this is done, however I never encountered a single problem in nearly 2 years syncing using wlan sync and swapping servers as needed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pmhparis: No. The 1Password desktop app on the computer acts as the server; the mobile app acts as a client. What you're describing is using the client app as a mule between two different servers, both of which are trying to track the sync state, and both of which will have incomplete information not knowing about the other server.

This discussion has been closed.