Authorization to use 1PW on Safari

Options
1NoahTN
1NoahTN
Community Member

Recently transferred 1PW (ver. 6.8.6 (686003)) from an older iMac to a new iMac, (version 10.13.3, 2017). I am now required to re-authorize 1PW every time I open Safari. As soon as I open Safari two drop down windows appear, each with a code number that must be acknowledged to continue with Safari. Is this a new security feature or should the re-authorization not be happening?
Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member
    Options

Addition to previous post. When I check Safari > Preferences > Extension, I have 1 Password 4.6.12 listed if this helps solve the issue.
    Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1NoahTN - can't say for sure without taking a closer look, but when you say "transferred," if you did it by means of migration assistant or by trying to copy the binary (application) itself, you may have included information specific to either your (other) Mac or Safari, which is making 1Password want to re-authorize the connection between 1Password mini and your 1Password browser extension. How did you "transfer" 1Password?

The right way to do it would have been to just download 1Password from us (or from the Mac App Store, depending on where you originally purchased), then at the welcome screen either restore from a backup of the older Mac's 1Password data, or sync directly to whatever method of sync you'd been previously using on your older Mac (Dropbox? iCloud?).

At this point, I'd suggest you delete the 1Password extension in Safari and re-install it; see if that helps (it may, but it probably won't). If it doesn't, let us know how you transferred 1Password, and whether you have a complete and up-to-date copy of your 1Password data in 1Password on the new Mac.

• 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply. I purchased 1PW from Apple Store and I used migration assistant to make the transfer to the new iMac. The problem has disappeared after I did a shutdown and restart. All the data appears to be intact and I have had no problems logging into secure sites. I really like this app. Thanks for your help.
    NoahTN

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1NoahTN - excellent! I've been doing this for years, and I'm still amazed at how often a simple restart can clear up most or even all of an unusual problem. Glad it worked for you, and thanks for the kind words about 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.