How to purchase standalone version only?

I am trying to help my father to get set up with 1password. I have been using it for years and he just started using the free trial. He wants to purchase the standalone version without having to pay recurring member ship fees. However, we cannot see how to do this from the website.

He has very bad eyesight and must use a magnifying glass to read the screen. Its cumbersome for him to navigate the website, and to read anything on a screen for extended periods. He also uses a PC, while I use a Mac. So I don't see the same version of the app that he does. I'm hoping you can give me some instructions that I can tell him to follow. It would have been ideal to reach you over the phone. In fact, if that is a possibility, please let me know.

1Password Version: latest as of Jan 2018
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows X
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @joemue,

We do not currently offer a standalone version of 1Password for Windows. It is only available with a membership, which is the best way to experience 1Password. With a membership you get access to all of the latest versions of the native 1Password apps, as well as a seamless 1st party sync experience (simply sign in to your account to access your data). It is also possible to share 1Password with family. Since you’re helping your father along with this it might make sense to consider a 1Password Families membership. That would allow you to help manage his items as well as assist him in resetting his Master Password if it is forgotten (not possible with standalone and not currently possible with an individual account).

We do plan to offer standalone licensing for 1Password 7 for Windows, but I do not have any timeframe for when that will be available.

We don’t have telephone support, but we’re happy to help here via our public discussion forum, or by email: [email protected]

I hope that helps! Thanks!

Ben

• Hi Ben,

Your response to the OP has left me confused. Yesterday, I downloaded the Windows standalone (Version 4.6.2.626). It is working fine, although clicking on 'About 1Password...' under 'Help' in the menu reveals that it is running as a Demo with an expiry date of 26 March. So, you're saying that after the trial period I won't be able to purchase?

Nick

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

That is correct. 1Password 4 for Windows is no longer being developed or sold.

Ben

• Then why is it still available for download from the Downloads page of the website? Makes no sense to me.

https://1password.com/downloads/

Nick

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Nick,

It is still available for download because folks who have already licensed it can to continue to use it.

Ben

• Well, in that case there should be a note to make it clear that it's not for new users. We are not mind readers, Ben. I feel I have wasted a day of my time downloading it, reading through the user guide, setting it up, etc. As I use the standalone (paid for) iOS version for my iPhone and iPad, I thought this would be ideal for my Windows PC. Very disappointed.

Nick

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I’m sorry to hear you feel that way Nick. I agree with what you’re saying. I’ll file an issue with our website folks and see if they can’t come up with a better way of presenting that link such that it is clear that it is for existing users only.

Ben

• That would be great, Ben, Thanks,

Nick

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

:+1: :)

Ben

• I am a current license holder for 1Password 4 for Windows. Are there going to be options to upgrade my license to 1Password 7 for Windows? I want to keep my license and not go to subscription model.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@MarvinG11 -- yep! We've committed to keeping both methods of using and paying for 1Password available in the upcoming 1Password 7. So don't worry -- if you prefer to keep your standalone vaults and advanced sync with a traditional license, you'll be able to do that. :)

• MarvinG11MarvinG11
    edited February 2018

@Lars Thanks. Ok now my follow on question.... when? :) I'm a long time user since 2009. So, if you need me to beta test, lmk!

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@MarvinG11 -- ah, that's the big question, isn't it? How's "not long?" Seriously, I'd love to be able to give you something more definitive than that, but the truth is we just aren't ready to announce anything on that score at present. We like to release upgrades - particularly big ones that span multiple platforms like this one does - when they're ready, instead of rushing to hit an arbitrary timeline we imposed on ourselves because it sounded good at the time. We've learned that there are way too many factors that go into being able to release a large upgrade - some of them beyond our control - for us to feel comfortable making promises we might not be able to keep due to this or that unforeseen event. So I'm sorry to put you off without even a hint, but until we get to the point where we KNOW we'll be releasing on a certain date, we're just not going to estimate. We'd rather surprise than disappoint you.

• @Lars No worries. I'm in IT, so I know exactly what you mean. I was curious because a family I know is looking for a password manager and I recommended 1Password (as I have always done for the last 10 years). I only now just come to learn that the subscription model is the only pricing you have available right now (I know, where have I been?). So, I'll let them know the license model may soon come. Hopefully there will be an option for subscription users to convert to license users.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member
    edited February 2018

@MarvinG11 - thank you SO much for recommending 1Password! We've not done a lot (OK, barely any) traditional advertising over the years, relying instead on just that: word of mouth from happy users. It means the world to us, and I'm not exaggerating at all when I say you long time users who've become advocates for 1Password are quite literally the reason 1Password has been able to become what it is today. You rock!

Re: pricing model, it's only true on Windows that we currently aren't selling licenses. That's a result of 1Password 4 for Windows being very old at this point, but the "current" version for standalone licenses, while 1Password 6 for Windows was an entirely new code base from the previous version, which we developed exclusively for 1password.com accounts because we couldn't bolt on account support to the old code base (hence the change). 1Password 7 for Windows will allow you to use either an account or standalone 1Password data (or both), but that's just not here yet.

However, since you said "family," I did want to make sure you understand that license pricing will be per-platform and per-user, meaning that if you have multiple people in a family, they will each need their own license to use 1Password on each platform. So, if someone has an Android tablet, an iPhone and a PC, that's three versions of 1Password. That can add up quickly for a family of four or five. By contrast, a 1Password Families account includes unlimited access to all four of our native apps for up to five people, including all future upgrades, for as long as the account is maintained. And it's only $4.99/mo if paid annually ($58.99 for the year). When you start comparing that to purchasing standalone licenses for four or five people, it's considerably less expensive. And each family member gets his or her own Private vault for their own stuff, plus access to the family-wide Shared vault, and as many other vaults as the account owner thinks they need, all without having to fool around with advanced, 3rd party sync solutions like Dropbox sharing. Just a thought -- it's why we recommend the membership route for the vast majority of our customers; for most people (especially families) it's not only cheaper but more flexible and easier as well.

• Great info about family. I think reality it is only going to be the one head of household using it. But I'll make sure to ensure they understand the family model as well. Again thanks for the great work!

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@MarvinG11 😊👍🏻

• Krit60Krit60 Junior Member

First let me tell you that I really like using 1Password. I use it for a long time now on OSX, iOS and Windows. I have licenses for the stand alone products. I am now testing the family option for the second time. This only because of the fact that the Windows app will get a major update soon (?) The first time I tested it the Windows app was not working good enough. I do think this is a lot better now. It has been said that the Windows app 7.x will be able to work stand alone again.
    I do know what the Family option costs, but I really would like Agile to be clear about the pricing. I keep hearing that it is/will be possible to buy stand alone versions. But when and what?

So I have a few straight forward questions:

1. As a registered user of the Windows 4.x app, can I buy a Windows 7 license and what will that cost?
    2. Will there be updates of the iOS and OS X apps when the Windows app will be updated and if, what will they cost?
    3. Can I buy a OS X app now and what does it cost?
    4. Is the OS X app capable of exporting a 1PIF file as the CSV option in the windows client is not usable?

I know why I should buy a subscription, I see that the development is more guaranteed, that I will get updates. But, it is expensive and it is unclear to me when (and if?) 1Password will be able to export in an usable format, so I have the possibility to change.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited February 2018

Hi @Krit60,

Thanks for the kind words and for your long time patronage. I wish I had straight forward answers to all of your straight forward questions, but we simply don’t have all of that information yet. I’ll do the best I can:

As a registered user of the Windows 4.x app, can I buy a Windows 7 license and what will that cost?

You will be able to purchase a 1Password 7 for Windows license, yes. We have not announced a price or timeframe yet.

Will there be updates of the iOS and OS X apps when the Windows app will be updated and if, what will they cost?

1Password for iOS has already been upgraded to v7. 1Password for Mac will be upgraded to version 7, and will be available to purchase as a standalone license. Again timing and price have not yet been announced.

Can I buy a OS X app now and what does it cost?

Right now you can buy a 1Password 6 for Mac license within the latest version of the 1Password 6 for Mac app. As of writing this is the only recommended way to make that purchase, as we’re doing some work on our web store. The price, as of writing, is $65 USD plus any applicable taxes. This is a single user single version license (1 person, 1Password 6 for Mac).

Is the OS X app capable of exporting a 1PIF file as the CSV option in the windows client is not usable?

1Password 6 for Mac can export vaults to 1PIF, yes.

In most cases using 1Password standalone, especially if used across multiple platforms and/or multiple people, will be a more expensive option than the subscription model. It takes more time and is more expensive to support, and so pricing is going to reflect that. I hope that helps! I’m sorry more definite answers to some of your questions are not yet available.

Ben

• Krit60Krit60 Junior Member

Thanks or your extensive answer. As long as there is no 1PIF or other acceptable export option I won't upgrade anyway. If this means I will have to use unsupported versions, I'm afraid this will probably cause me to switch to another product.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

@Krit60 I'm not sure I understand you; Ben pointed out that both the current 1Password 6 for Mac and upcoming 1Password 7 on both platforms support .1pif export.

• I honestly just found out about the new subscription model as when I purchased 1Password I'm not sure if it was even offered, so I have the standalone (V4) too and it's disappointing to hear it's not being developed; however good new to hear you are working on bringing back a standalone updated version for Windows :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Yep; our recommendation for the vast majority of folks is going to be 1Password.com membership, as that is going to provide the best experience, but we will be offering a standalone option for those who need that.

Ben

• I have been a 1Password user on the Mac for several years now, and am very happy with how the standalone app works.

I am trying to set up a family member's Windows computer with 1Password. During the set up process, I was asked to create a 1Password account and enter my primary vault password into a web browser. At no point do I want my primary vault password to be transmitted via the web.

Can you confirm that there is still no standalone Windows option available for purchase?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

That is correct: 1Password 6 for Windows is the current version and it requires a membership. 1Password 7 will offer a standalone licensing option. I do want to clarify though that even though some of 1Password.com’s functions take place in a web browser your Master Password and Secret Key are never transmitted over the internet.

About the 1Password security model

AgileBits is never sent your Master Password or Secret Key.

Ben

• NitroxideNitroxide
    edited July 2018

Any update on the standalone upgrade from 1password 4 to 7? I refuse to purchase more sub model services.

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

You do lose some functionality by insisting on a licence, but maybe you don't care about those functions.

If you want a licence, just download 1PW7 and below the large green "Subscribe now" button, in small print (but still clearly there) is a clickable line saying "Want a licence. We have those too". You will have to pay for a new licence.

PS. Are you on Windows or Mac. You are currently on version 4, which is perhaps more likely to be Windows than Mac.

• LarsLars Junior Member

Team Member

Welcome to the forum, @Nitroxide! I'm not quite sure what you're asking about. If you're asking about upgrading from 1Password 4 for Windows to 1Password 7 for Windows (standalone), you can do that now: standalone licenses are available for 1Password 7 for Windows. If you've already downloaded and installed 1Password 7 for Windows, you should be able to find the license window easily, since 1Password should be in read-only mode. Just click "Buy Now," and you'll be walked through the steps. If you meant something else, can you give me a little more detail, please? Thanks! :)

• YAY! Thank you for re-introducing the standalone (perpetual) license. I'm a huge fan of perpetual licensing for pretty much anything.
    I run standalone 1P for personal use and subscription 1P Teams for my workplace - I introduced and manage the 1P account for the corporation. It's a great product!
    Now, that being said, I can't seem to find the link to purchase the standalone 1P. It doesn't seem to be clearly marked on the pricing web page. Can you please provide a link to purchase the standalone 1Password?

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @JonD0H

There isn't a link, per se. Licenses are purchased within the 1Password 7 applications. Please note that you cannot purchase a license while signed into a membership. You'll need to sign out of the membership account before the option will become available.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file