ASCHEUER
ASCHEUER
Community Member

Want to update OS to 'High Sierra' Will I have any problems

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.9.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Have 1Password Ver 3.8.22. Want to update my Mac from 10.9.5 to High Sierra. Will I have problems

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @ASCHEUER! If you're using 1Password 3 for Mac, then yes -- you should definitely stop using that much-older version of 1Password. It was wonderful in its day, but that day was quite some time ago -- we're all the way up on 1Password 6 for Mac now (6.8.6), and getting ready for 1Password 7 later this year!

If you would like to join us on 1Password 6 for Mac, we've got a great guide for making the transition. Read it over carefully before you begin, and let us know if you have any questions or run into any problems.

• ASCHEUER
    ASCHEUER
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your response. I do plan to upgrade to version 6. My main concern is to do this before OR after upgrading my OS to 'High Sierra'. Also, where can I read about what version 6 has as compared to 3. I am the type of person who wants to keep things simple. I do not need a lot of bells and whistles.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ASCHEUER - well, if you're using 10.9.5 ("Mavericks"), then you can't install 1Password 6 for Mac anyway. However, it might be worthwhile to download 1Password 4 for Mac (4.4.3) and upgrade to that, while you're still on Mavericks. The jump from version 3 to version 4 was a pretty big one, so it may bet better to do that now, then make the jump to lightspeed High Sierra, then finally to 1Password 6 for Mac. We don't have a specific comparison page between 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 6 for Mac, but you can certainly check out all of the bug fixes, feature-additions and assorted goodies since version 3. Let us know how it goes!

• ASCHEUER
    ASCHEUER
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your well thoughtout technical solution. Sorry to be asking so many trivial questions, but you're dealing with grandma here who grew up in the DOS environment (which seemed to be much easier), and is wading her way thru all this. Question: Is the procedure for upgrading to 1Password4 the same as your previous Steps 1-4? I really appreciate your patience and I know I'll get thru this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ASCHEUER I remember the DOS days too! Man, that seems like we might as well have been using stone tablets and smoke signals. :)

Yes, the process is essentially the same as is outlined in our current steps: backup 1Password 3 for Mac, quit it, drag it to the trash, then download and install 1Password 4 for Mac using the link in my previous reply. You're right...you'll get there. Let us know if you have any issues or further questions! :)

• ASCHEUER
    ASCHEUER
    Community Member
    Options

Just finished reading the 'How to upgrade ....." from your Feb 8 comment. Question: What is the difference between the 1Password3 extension and the 1Password3 app? Since both have to be uninstalled, where do I find them?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ASCHEUER: Both are covered in the link Lars gave you:

https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/

The 1Password app is a Mac app likely installed in your Applications folder. This runs natively. The 1Password extension is in your web browser, and works there to allow 1Password to integrate with it to save and fill logins. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ASCHEUER
    ASCHEUER
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, Step 1, under "IMPORTANT", it mentions to NO skip the steps in the other support article. Where is this other support article that must be completed?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ASCHEUER,

Where is this other support article that must be completed?

It's the uninstall the 1Password 3 extension article (https://support.1password.com/uninstall-v3-extension) that's referred to and linked right above the IMPORTANT box:

Sorry for the confusion!

• ASCHEUER
    ASCHEUER
    Community Member
    Options

I just Uninstalled 1Password3 following the instructions "How to uninstall the 1Password3 extension" and then back to How to upgrade from 1Password3 on your Mac following the link in Lars' 2/9/18 response. All the data downloaded, but when going to login to a login, it does not login with the password. What did I do wrong?

• ASCHEUER
    ASCHEUER
    Community Member
    Options

I have an iMac computer.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ASCHEUER - I don't think you necessarily did anything particularly wrong. Do you have 1Password mini enabled? Have you upgraded all the way to 1Password 6 for Mac so far? Probably the first thing to do is Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and also quit any running browsers. Make sure you've uninstalled the older version 3 extensions, and downloaded the latest extension for each browser you use. See if that allows you to fill in your Login data.

• ASCHEUER
    ASCHEUER
    Community Member
    Options

Upon exploring your User Guide, it appears the Extension has not been implemented. Procedure?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ASCHEUER - when you say "hasn't been implemented," you mean you don't have the extension yet in your Mac's browsers? If that's the case, visit the link in my previous reply in each browser you use on your Mac (the page in question will detect which browser you're using and offer you the correct extension for that browser). Click on the big green button to download and install the current extension. Once it's active, you shouldn't need to do anything to begin using it in 1Password, but if things aren't working as you expect, you may wish to restart both 1Password and your browser. Here's a little more on keeping the 1Password extension in your browser up to date:

https://support.1password.com/update-extension/

• ASCHEUER
    ASCHEUER
    Community Member
    Options

THANK YOU, THANK YOU Everything now works. I can commence my upgrade to High Sierra.
    Your patience with me is much appreciated.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ASCHEUER - you're quite welcome! Glad to hear things are smoothed out now. :)

• ASCHEUER
    ASCHEUER
    Community Member
    Options

Good Afternoon!! Just finished installing High Sierra. Took a baby step and updated 1Password to ver 5. Plan to upgrade to ver 6 when I have a chance. At the same time, I purchased a MacPro laptop with High Sierra OS. Both have the Dropbox program on them, but I would like to be able to access my 1Password from either the iMac or MacPro. Do you know the procedure or where I can get this information on how to accomplish this?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ASCHEUER - We don't have much documentation remaining online for version 5 of 1Password for Mac, due to its age and the fact that virtually any Mac that can run version 5 can also run version 6. Please update to 1Password 6 for Mac and let us know how things go! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Correction: any Mac that can run version 5 can run version 6. They both require Yosemite or higher. ;)

This discussion has been closed.