Any updates on IE 11 or Edge extensions?

The most recent updates I can find on IE11 and Edge extensions are 2 year old ... are extensions coming for these industry standard browsers?

1Password Version: 7.0.519
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

@cmoczarski - I'm not sure if by "updates," you meant communications from us or actual updates to the extensions themselves. On Windows, it's a bit of a mixed bag -- for a long time, Edge did not allow extensions of any kind. Then there was a period where they only allowed a tiny group of hand-picked developers access to their beta program for extensions, and we were not among that group. However, we announced the 1Password Edge extension last October, and you can get it right now.

IE, no longer being in active development, does not have the capability to perform the necessary crypto within the browser to be able to work with 1password.com accounts on the web. It could work in the browser as an extension, but the code-base between 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password 6 for Windows is completely different, so the extension would also have to be completely re-written as well. As users move increasingly toward Windows 10 and Chrome or Edge, creating a 1Password 6 for Windows-capable IE extension isn't as high a priority for us right now as some other more-critical issues. That's not to say it won't happen, just that it doesn't exist currently.

If you're still using 1Password 4 for Windows, the IE extension should be available as it always has been. Again, since IE is essentially a legacy product at this point, don't expect updates past critical security fixes to the 1Password 4 for Windows extension, and don't expect an IE extension for 1Password 6 for Windows in the immediate future. Between Edge, Chrome and Firefox, you should be able to find something that works. The only combo that won't work right now is if you must have IE and 1Password 6 for Windows.

• cmoczarski
    cmoczarski
    Community Member

Thanks for the update Lars. I just upgraded to 1Password 6 and was lost as neither of browsers (Edge & IE) were working! I was looking for updates in the forums and couldn't find anything past 2016 - so very happy to hear there is an Edge extension. I will look into the link you provided above. Thanks againl

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cmoczarski - Sounds good! You don't have to uninstall your current 1Password 6 for Windows, just download the UWP Edge extension, and you should be all set -- but let us know if you have any problems. :)

This discussion has been closed.