1PW Version 3.8.22 (build 32010) / Mac Sierra 10.12.6

mwhybark
mwhybark
Community Member
edited February 2018 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

When opening the 1PW3 application, a click into the UI elements crashes the application.

The browser extension installed in Safari provides access without any issues. The database is properly syncing across multiple machines and devices.

It is uncertain what is causing this as the same version operates successfully on other machines with same OS version. I routinely deny any OS X system updates specifically in order to maximize SW lifespans.

I noted a similar issue in this thread:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/83655/how-do-i-fix-this-problem-1password-opens-on-my-laptop-but-then-closes-immediately-when-i-try-to-us#latest

The agilebits poster, brenty, in that thread directed the poster to this page:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/78728/1password-3-legacy-support-information

In which the following phrases appear:

"It [1PW3] supports OS X Snow Leopard and Lion, so is not compatible with recent operating system (OS) and web browser releases"

and

"If you've purchased 1Password for Mac version 3, you're entitled to use it on all of your compatible devices indefinitely."

which would appear to be a disclaimer of responsibility for analysis and support regarding this issue, also as noted in the prior thread by brenty.

While I'm sympathetic to the need to limit support hours expended, I can't say that I feel much in the say of consumer satisfaction under this policy, especially since there are other operational copies of the application in similar device operating environments.

Hypothetically, let's say that this UI-touch to crash problem affects my use of the application in Lion. What would your next steps be to diagnose and resolve the issue? Is there a .plist file I can chuck or something?

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: DBX

Comments

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mwhybark

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty with 1Password 3. That particular crash is the result of changes in macOS. It would require a 1Password update to fix on modern versions of macOS. I'm afraid we are not able to issue software updates to 1Password 3.

Really the only good option here is to upgrade to 1Password 6. If you're syncing to Dropbox, it's simply a matter of installing 1Password 6, choosing Dropbox from the list, choosing the correct vault if you have more than one, and then enter your Master Password. Once that's done remove the old Extension and installing the new one and you're set (goto 1Password 6 > Install Browser Extensions... in the menu bar to go directly to that page). This will also come with a 30 day trial so you can give version 6 a nice trial run to see all of the improvements we've made over the last 4 years. Once the trial is up you'll be prompted to purchase a license.

To download version 6 visit our download page.

You might consider switching to a 1Password Account. One of the nice benefits of this option is you're always able to use the latest version of our applications (assuming you are running new enough Operating Systems) so you're never in a situation like you're currently in with an old version that doesn't run well on newer operating systems.

I'm really sorry for the trouble though. We'd love nothing more than to be able to maintain old versions for as long as possible but it's just not feasible, and even if we did maintain legacy versions long past major upgrades it has been 4 years since we last issued an update and we'd be well outside any reasonable update period for 1Password 3.

If I can do anything at all to help in this process please let me know.

• mwhybark
    mwhybark
    Community Member

Have you guys re-enabled the 1PW6 standalone? I am under the impression that the product line is subscription only, is that incorrect?

A standalone for 1PW6 would likely be amenable to me. Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@mwhybark

I'm not sure where you got that information from but we never removed the standalone vault functionality nor have we stopped selling licenses.

We point all new users to the subscription option because it is the best option for a vast bulk of our users. But licenses and standalone vaults have not gone away and we announced months ago that we'd be releasing 1Password 7 for Mac and Windows with license options and standalone vault functionality, same as we do now with version 6.

If you follow along with the very brief details I provided in the previous message you'll be in standalone mode and when the trial is complete you'll be prompted to purchase a license. If you go through the setup process and choose to start the trial with a 1Password Account that will be the subscription option, but if instead you choose Dropbox and find your vault in there that will put you in the standalone vault mode that uses licenses instead.

Let me know if you have any difficulty getting it setup, I'm happy to help however I can.

• mwhybark
    mwhybark
    Community Member

Hi Kyle, thanks for your responses.

I'm still a little confused about pricing and deployment - I am a current license holder for two iOS-based apple IDs and a license holder for the old cross-platform family license or whatever it was called, order number 81G35930Y25958007 dated July 10, 2011.

this link

https://agilebits.com/store

Offers 1PW6 at $64.99 but describes it as a single license. I do understand the install and local-vault procedure you described, but am concerned that I won't be able to install the updated version on all my machines here at home. So far, my parents haven't been having issues with the older version and I hope to follow the 'if it ain't broke' rule there. Will I be able to deploy this new version to multiple machines under the single license?

Additionally, I am curious about version interoperability. If I don't upgrade the older installs and all the installs use a single DBX-synced repository, will upgrading to 1PW6 render the repository inaccessible to the older versions due to DB schema changes?

Finally, in the comments to the 1PW6 release announcement blog post, someone with a 1PW3 license asks about his options and is informed that there is an upgrade discount for 1PW3 license holders by an Agilebits commenter named eva.

https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/01/12/1password-6-for-mac-is-here/

Is this still the case? is that disclosed in the in-app license prompt?

Thanks for your attention to these matters.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mwhybark - a license from 2011 will be for versions of 1Password (both Mac and PC) that are no longer current, which means you'll need to either purchase an upgrade for your license to a current version, or subscribe to a 1password.com membership. Of those two choices, especially if you have multiple people in the family who want to use 1Password, I'd strongly recommend a 1Password Families account, as it's going to be considerably cheaper for you, both immediately and over the long run. The "family" license you purchased in 2011 has not been sold for some time now, so there's no direct upgrade path for it. If you wanted standalone licenses for multiple users, each user would have to purchase his or her own license at $64.99 each (the discount mentioned by Eva in January of 2016 is no longer applicable). The same is true on iOS - the basic features of 1Password for iOS are free for everyone, but if you've got multiple vaults, then you'd need the Pro features, which would be a $9.99 in-app purchase...for each user.

By contrast, a 1Password Families account would be $59.88/yr for up to five family members, and it includes unlimited access for all members to all four of our native 1Password applications (Mac AND Windows, as well as the Pro features of both iOS and Android), for as long as you maintain the membership. And that's only one of a 1password.com accounts many benefits.

To be clear, if YOU purchase a single license, that entitles you to install it on as many Macs as you personally own/use -- there is no limit. But every separate user must have his or her own license as well. I hope this has answered your questions, but if you have any follow-ups, just ask! We're here to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.