Multiple users on one computer

Options
jhclawson
jhclawson
Community Member

My husband and I have one computer at home that has one user login at the OS level. We share that same user for access to shared data. We just moved to a Family account with 1Password so we can access our vaults securely at work. Is there any way for us to use our own unique 1Password logins on our home computer without having to create another user login at the OS level?

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 10.13.3
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Reading this article, I am guessing you can’t

• Hi @jhclawson,

Our recommendation for that scenario is to have multiple OS user accounts. Having the ability to switch between accounts in our desktop apps is something we've wanted for a long time, but we haven't found the time to build it.

Rick

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

@rickfillion so if my daughter makes a vault (she’s just a family member only), I can assign that vault to me so I can see what’s in it since I am a family organizer?

I know she has a 2nd vault and I don’t recall seeing it. I’m at work, so I don’t want to check from here.

• @prime : that's correct.

I think you meant to post this on the other thread though. :)

Rick

• TCEG
    TCEG
    Community Member
    Options

In terms of multiple accounts on one computer with the same OS login, I'd like to echo the desire for that feature. I've recently joined 1Password for Family for many of its features. My family shares our computer and as the children are younger at the moment, typically the computer stays logged in with the administrator account. So, for password usage using the Safari extension I'd like to see the feature where a family member's master password needs to be entered to unlock the extension for their family vaults. I don't want children to be able to enter sites using any of the parent logins. Thank you for your consideration on this.

• Meek
    Options

Hey @TCEG, thanks for letting us know you'd like to see this too, and for sharing your use case!

• Midkiff87
    Midkiff87
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to request this feature. I finally convinced my parents to try to use 1password, but they both use the same local Windows account on their PC. So, they will need a feature like this.

A simple "hack" for this could be to simply install a separate version of 1password in a different section of the app data folder (for example "C:\Users\\AppData\Local\1password\app\7\<1P User Name>\"), then route the UI to one or the other depending on the login. At least, until a more elegant solution is worked out

• We actually tried such a hack like that in 1Password for Mac, @Midkiff87. It's the type of thing that sounds like 2 days of work. In reality it turned out to be much more complicated than that (life always finds a way to make things complicated doesn't it?), and decided that that route wasn't as good of an idea as we originally thought.

Rick

• alexyang
    alexyang
    Community Member
    Options

I also want this feature. My wife and I share the same login on my home PC, but we have different 1password account under one family account. Creating another PC login just for this purpose seemed redundant. Current workaround is to use 1password X on different chrome browser, but the app is far more convenient in managing password.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @alexyang. I’m not aware of any plans at this point to change the way this works, and our recommendation of using separate user accounts within the OS remains as what is likely the best solution here, for now. We’ll continue to evaluate the need for such a feature and perhaps it’ll be something we can implement in the future.

Ben

• BHF
    BHF
    Community Member
    Options

Re: rickfillion's February 12 comment -- even though 1Password supports multiple accounts on one device if those accounts are using separate OS accounts, it is not implemented perfectly. We have three computers: my Macbook Pro, my wife's iMac, and a family Macbook Air. My wife never logs onto my Macbook Pro, I don't log onto her iMac, but we both log onto the Macbook Air (as do our daughters). Yesterday, while my wife remained logged into the Macbook Air, I logged into my account. Once I logged out and she logged back in, her 1Password mini wouldn't unlock with her password. She tried my password and it worked! The 1Password app (and browser web page) still uses her password. We don't know all the subtleties, but I'm guessing if we each log out of 1Password before the other logs in, we might be okay.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2018
    Options

@BHF

I'm not entirely sure I follow the chain of events here. Are you somehow logging in to your 1Password account while it is her macOS user account that is logged in on the computer? When you say "log out of 1Password" do you mean lock 1Password?

Ben

ref: ENC-95933-249

• BHF
    BHF
    Community Member
    Options

Mac allows simultaneous logins. So, while my wife was logged into her account on the Macbook Air, I switched users to my account. She remained logged in, but in a quiescent state. While I was logged in the Macbook Air, I opened 1Password and logged into my 1Password account. I then logged out of the Macbook Air (but I don't recall if I logged out of 1Password first). When she logged back in, her browser 1Password mini did not unlock with her password, but with mine. Yet, she was able to unlock her 1Password app with her own password.

In referring to logging out of 1Password, I did not mean "lock." I meant shutting down the 1Password app. Locking happens regularly enough via timeouts, etc.

--Nick

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation Nick. That is certainly something we’ll need to do more testing on and see if we can reproduce the issue.

In referring to logging out of 1Password, I did not mean "lock." I meant shutting down the 1Password app. Locking happens regularly enough via timeouts, etc.

For what it’s worth quitting the 1Password app does not sign you out of your account. To truly sign out you’d open 1Password > Preferences > Accounts and remove your account. That probably isn’t what you want, though. Quitting the app just locks 1Password (assuming you have that option turned on in 1Password > Preferences > Security > Auto-lock).

Ben

• hazimistry
    hazimistry
    Community Member
    Options

Echoing the requirement for this my wife and I use the same PC which sits in the kitchen with one login.

When logging into the browser an easier modification would be to force the user to type in their username + master password, instead of the current configuration which hard codes one profile in and therefore only asks for the master password for the one that was set up first.

This is how Google allow access to multiple gmail accounts on one computer so you can pick which user you want to login as.

From a usability perspective would consider this essential functionality and not nice to have as it limits the flexibility of 1password and makes it more onerous to use every day.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @hazimistry. Have you considered using Google Chrome with a profile for each of you and 1Password X instead of the traditional browser extension (as discussed above)? That may be less onerous than separate Windows user profiles, though that would be the recommended solution here.

Ben

• bravodenisu
    bravodenisu
    Community Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hello!
    We have over 30 cameras for hunting working through a SIM card for mobile phones. We have to let all 30-50 cameras work! Such cameras.
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/734643/Suntek-Hc-300.html

In all 30-40 pieces, I put in an email address that I made a new one. Because I do not believe that I need to open 30 or 50 new Gmail accounts because of the camera???
    It looks like this
    https://s22.postimg.cc/8v3sc8r0x/image.png

or maybe it has a better option for my cameras (Hotmail, Tom, Aol, other ...)
    https://s22.postimg.cc/4lz2a88dt/image.png

I'll have to activate everything myself. But if a malfunction happens later, I have to give my colleagues an email from these cameras and a password to reinstall them. I'm just afraid that some of them do not delete the account or change the password ... ???

Should something change in Gmail setting or some other solution ...!
    Please help! I do not understand much so I ask if there is any solution or I can see a video of Youtube ..?

I'm waiting for an answer!
    Thank you!
    MY e-mail [removed by 1Password team]

• Ben
    Options

Hi @bravodenisu

I'm just afraid that some of them do not delete the account or change the password ... ???

Putting the item(s) in a shared vault where your colleagues only have read-only access would seem to be the best solution. I’d suggest reviewing this guide, particularly the “manage access” section:

Create, share, and manage vaults in your team | 1Password

Ben

• andrew9206
    andrew9206
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I'd like to very strongly advocate for adding this feature to Mac. Like others on this list, my wife and I have separate laptops where we use our own accounts, but we share a family iMac with one login. Using separate logins on this computer would defeat the purpose of sharing the computer. Truly, it is absurd that multiple accounts can be accessed from one computer login, but not if they're in the same family. What's the point of that?! It's really limiting the value of paying for a family plan. Please fix this!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's not broken. We have no plans to make 1Password for Mac a multi-user app. macOS has very robust -- and secure -- multi user support built in. It definitely doesn't defeat the purpose of sharing the computer. It's better for security, and also everyone can have their own customizations. You're welcome to use different browsers and access your account(s) there through the website though.

• Phil2525
    Phil2525
    Community Member
    Options

The lack of support on this issue is a bit frustrating. Just started the free trial and this might be a deal breaker since my wife and I share our desktop and laptop computer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Phil2525: What's the problem then? In that use case, if you're sharing the desktop and laptop anyway, why not share a 1Password account as well, security not being a concern between the two of you?

• Phil2525
    Phil2525
    Community Member
    Options

I need a prenup if I’m going to go that route.

• Phil2525
    Phil2525
    Community Member
    Options

In all seriousness I was hasty with my remarks. It’s simply a matter of convenience. Rather than switching OS users, we could switch 1Password accounts. After the initial pain of getting everything up and running across devices, it’s a highly convenient program. Thanks for the product you provide.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @Phil2525. I appreciate the update. We'll continue to evaluate the demand for this, but admittedly it would have to suddenly become pretty high for us to consider making the major changes that would be required to be made across all of our products to enable this when most operating systems give it to us for free.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Phil2525: Hey, that was pretty good. Better safe than sorry I guess! ;) I'm not sure we can justify rewriting our software to add a feature that the OS already supports (which has additional security and privacy benefits we could not offer anyway) just because some folks choose to eschew the platform's own multi user support, but it's something we can continue to evaluate for future versions to see if it makes sense down the road. Cheers! :)

• AfterTen
    AfterTen
    Community Member
    Options

People eschew the platform's own multi user support because it's a PITA for many reasons.
    For instance on a Mac there is no easy way to "share" documents. My wife is the primary user of the computer do her "documents" folder is filled with many useful things. Things I need when using the shared computer.
    But if I set me up as a separate user and switch when I want to use the computer I lose access to those documents unless I/we jump through hoops.
    Yes, this is disappointing not to have a shared feature for the Family Plan. I know nothing is a simple as the end user sees it when it comes to programming a feature but my thought was that since I have a family plan my 1Password on the shared computer could be logged into any account attached to the family plan. Then the app would be aware of all vaults (My vault, my wife's and the shared vault), when prompted for a Master Password (remember the app is aware it is logged into a family account) if I were to put in my Master then 1Password would have access to my vault (and shared) but if my wife put in her master then access opens to her vault. And yes, we would have to be responsible for manually locking 1Password once we were finished using the computer. (or just let it auto-lock)
    If done like this then I would think it would be an "Advanced Feature" one would have to opt-in to using preferences. ie "Switch Vaults based on Master Password entered".
    Just a thought.

• That's a very good suggestion @AfterTen,

We appreciate the feedback. It's understandable that switching OS profiles is not convenient for some users, and we will definitely take all this feedback into consideration when we make decisions on these features in the future.

• SMkruger
    SMkruger
    Community Member
    Options

My situation is thus: brand new Macbook Air 13.3. My wife and I each have a separate OS-level login. I've been installing what I can to separate app folders (users/her/applications and users/me/applications) for things like Dropbox and Macupdate Desktop that must be separated. Since we have one family subscription with a shared vault and separate personal vaults, am I OK with installing 1Password only once to the main /Applications folder? Meaning one install, where she and I would be accessing it separately but while both 'logged in' (as explained by others, only 1 is really active at a time with quick user switching; the other user is in a quiescent state).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SMkruger: Thanks for the details! To answer your question:

am I OK with installing 1Password only once to the main /Applications folder?

Yes! That's how it's designed to work, and due to sandboxing it really has to be there to function correctly even with a single user. So you shouldn't have any trouble. If you do though, we're happy to help in any way we can. :)

This discussion has been closed.