Error on launch - "An important component is missing from 1Password"

Options

Yesterday I was cleaning up my three HDs on my PC and found several older installations of 1Password on various drives. I uninstalled the ones I did not want to use any longer. Reasonable, right?

Today 1Password won't open and says error: "An important component is missing from 1Password." I assume the uninstall deleted a shared .dll or other critical file.

What now? Uninstall the final installed version and start with a fresh install?

I tried a new install. It wants a special code and my registration email, etc. I don't have that info anymore -- I have been using the program for about five years w/o needing that stuff. I do have my licence number safely stored in 1Password, luckily still accessible on my iPad. Do I need more than that to do a successful reinstall?

I am paid up with a license. How do I get this working on my PC?

1Password Version: 4.
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: WIN 7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello there @cknight1946,

Thank you for contacting us and using 1Password! I am sorry for the confusion with 1Password on Windows.

It sounds like you downloaded 1Password 6 for Windows, the one that does not support standalone licenses and local vaults and is focused on our 1Password.com accounts. Please try to do the following:

1) Download 1Password 4 for Windows from here.

2) Try to install it on your PC and point it to your existing local vault.

3) Let me know if it works for you after that.

Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.