Dumb Password Validation [in the wild]

So got this at the Nintendo site, and was presented with this even before I entered anything. OK, while the actual rules are not too far out of the ordinary, the presentation had me at wth. Whoever coded it was sloppy, sure, and the validation is sort of contradictory, but jeez.... the repeat characters validation passed because there were NO characters to repeat. And really, if I passed two characters in a row, do we need to test for three?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Just making the point that the “cannot contain more than 3 repeated characters” and “cannot contain more than 2 repeated characters in a row” (emphasis mine) are actually different tests. :) The first checks the entire string for total number of times a character is repeated, regardless of if the characters are next to each other, whereas the second is only checking sequential characters. So for example:

abababa would pass the second test but fail the first
    abbba would pass the first test but fail the second

Ben

• lol. every once in a while I reply, and then the post is not there later (them Vanilla forum guys got some 'splaining to do).

Yup, really good point. I think I was so overwhelmed that I missed that little nuance at the end of the sentence! Nice to know the longer the password, the less complex it can be since you can't repeat yourself more than 3 times (probably rather large, but smaller than it could have been. Anyone remembers math enough to do that?). Say 96 characters with a length of 10, the max would be 66,483,264,000,000,000,000 (LOL), but if you are not allowed to repeat more than 3 characters or 2 in a row, it has to be a smaller really large number. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah. That's a lot of "musts" and "cannots". :lol:

This discussion has been closed.