How do I get 1 Password from my New MacBook Air onto my iPad ??......Please keep it very simple.

Options
jonatha
jonatha
Community Member

I can't really tell you much more.

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: No idea sorry......
OS Version: MacBook Air latest version
Sync Type: Not sure
Referrer: forum-search:How do I get 1 Password onto my New MacBook Air from my iPad .......Please keep it very simple.

Comments

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure what you are looking for here, can you explain?

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha - Can I ask what you're referring to? Have you been having a conversation with someone else in another thread on this forum? What do you mean by "not sure what you're looking for?"

In general, if you want to use 1Password on a new device and you've already been using it on an existing device, you'll need to sync the data. If you're using a 1password.com account, you can download 1Password for iOS from the App Store if you haven't already, and then sign into your account on the iPad. If you're using 1Password in standalone mode with local data, then you'll want to choose one of our advanced sync methods.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Lars thank you for your reply. I have been away travelling for a month and so could not reply. So please let me explain to you I am computer utterly illiterate and your reply assumes a knowledge I haven't got. For instance "sync the data" and the last paragraph I do not understand. I have said in previous exchanges that I have no ego, I just need someone to explain to me very very simply how can I get one password onto my iPad. So that when I am away from my MacBook Air I can still have access to my sites with one password. I don't have this now..One Password is fantastic, I don't have to carry around 3xA4 pages of passwords for my Mac Book Air and I so don't want to do this just for my iPad. Can you please help me to achieve this? I really appreciate the back you give. Help...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha: Sure thing! And likewise, thanks for your patience. I hope you had a lovely trip! :)

There are a number of ways to accomplish what you're trying to do because many people of different technical backgrounds use 1Password, and some don't mind doing a lot of configuration themselves. Historically they were all a bit complex. So while we're happy to offer a variety of options for people, I'm sorry that it can make things a bit more involved than you might like. '

Fortunately, there's a better way now: 1Password.com memberships. They include access to all of the apps (so you can use 1Password on your MacBook Air, iPad, and the rest), the web interface (so you can also access your data through your web browser), and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data.

At this point, I'd like you to generate a diagnostic report for each device where you're using 1Password currently so we cannot a sense of your setup to guide you — or just answer any questions you might have:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send them to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#KEU-12739-241]

If you’re reading this and you are not jonatha, this Support ID is for jonatha only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent them. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: KEU-12739-241

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your explanations Brenty. I got very excited when you introduced 1Password.com memberships. This sounds just what I need for my iPad to have 1Password on it......then I read "Generate a Diagnostic report" and have been trying for over three hours to make sense of this and how to do it and what to say... 'Zip Files/Compressed/Uncompressed/Attach a file/.......This is all Mumbo Jumbo to me.
    I just cannot do it....... So, perhaps your ''Thanks in advance!" was reassuring but inappropriate.
    So is it possible to forget the reports etc.,and just get the membership?

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Have checked out 1Password.com membership and Heather Robbs article from youtube. Not sure what it is all about. For me to create another Master Password I feel is a can of worms. I still unsure as to what I achieve by joining. It offers many things, it seems, that I'll never use or follow. Can this be the "easy route" route Brenty? I tried to print Heather's piece off but it won't allow me. If I attempted this I would need to have it in front of me so that I can work through it at my speed.
    I am back to square one.
    Going back to your request for me to send you a diagnostic report "so that you can get a sense of your set up to guide you"
    I can answer that directly. I have the most basic set up with one password.. It just supplies me with passwords, that's all I have ever asked for.
    My MacBook Air is only three months old with latest updates and my iPad is on IOS 11.2.6 the latest as well. There is nothing else to tell you...
    I don't have any questions other than "how do I get 1P/W onto my iPad ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your explanations Brenty. I got very excited when you introduced 1Password.com memberships. This sounds just what I need for my iPad to have 1Password on it......then I read "Generate a Diagnostic report" and have been trying for over three hours to make sense of this and how to do it and what to say... 'Zip Files/Compressed/Uncompressed/Attach a file/.......This is all Mumbo Jumbo to me.

@jonatha: Did you double-click the file after you downloaded it on your Mac? That should do the trick. That will give you the "1PasswordTroubleshooting" app, which you can then double-click to run to follow the rest of the instructions. :)

I just cannot do it....... So, perhaps your ''Thanks in advance!" was reassuring but inappropriate.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Respectfully, I think we'll have agree to disagree on that point. There's a lot of "inappropriate" stuff on the internet, and I don't believe that me thanking you advance for helping me help you falls into that category. :(

So is it possible to forget the reports etc.,and just get the membership?

That's fine by me, but I don't know that it is for you. It will then be up to you to set things up using the generic instructions on our website in that case. I can't give you specific instructions for your situation without knowing the details, but I'm happy to help in any way I can. :blush:

Have checked out 1Password.com membership and Heather Robbs article from youtube. Not sure what it is all about. For me to create another Master Password I feel is a can of worms.

Not really. As Heather mentions in the video, we recommend using that same Master Password. If it's very weak though, there's no harm in using this as an opportunity to choose a new long, strong, unique Master Password.

I still unsure as to what I achieve by joining. It offers many things, it seems, that I'll never use or follow. Can this be the "easy route" route Brenty?

I think you're making it harder than it needs to be. If you're not going to use all of 1Password's features (at least to start), it isn't necessary for you to try to understand all of them yet. For example, I understand only a tiny fraction of the functions of my television (yeah, I know, but I'm a computer guy not an AV guy! :lol: ), but I can use its core functions to watch Netflix at least. Maybe I'll figure out the rest someday, but I can learn at my own pace and don't have to get bogged down in all the settings and such right off the bat. I think this is similar. :)

I tried to print Heather's piece off but it won't allow me. If I attempted this I would need to have it in front of me so that I can work through it at my speed.

While you cannot print YouTube videos, you can probably take a screenshot if you want, and maybe print that. But, more importantly, you can access the whole step by step guide to getting started with a 1Password.com membership here at any time:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

That includes Heather's video, and you can pause and backtrack as needed. That will walk you through signing up for an account, migrating your existing data there (so you're not starting over from scratch), and setting up 1Password on your other devices.

I am back to square one. Going back to your request for me to send you a diagnostic report "so that you can get a sense of your set up to guide you" I can answer that directly. I have the most basic set up with one password.. It just supplies me with passwords, that's all I have ever asked for. My MacBook Air is only three months old with latest updates and my iPad is on IOS 11.2.6 the latest as well. There is nothing else to tell you...

Well, I was hoping to find out what version of 1Password you have installed. In your original post, you listed that as "6.0.2", so either that was incorrect or it's incredibly out of date — more than two years. That's why the details matter. If you try this process with that, you'll hit a wall. So I'd encourage you to update 1Password on your Mac before you do anything else, just to be sure.

I don't have any questions other than "how do I get 1P/W onto my iPad ?

It's really best to do the rest first, since otherwise you will not have an account to sign into when setting up 1Password on your iPad — another roadblock. I'm sorry to be such a pain about this, but I like to make sure we're on the same page first before I say "this is what you need to do", because it depends on the situation. Once you have a 1Password.com account, it's easy. You just install 1Password and sign into your account there:

Get the 1Password apps

I hope this helps, though I could be wrong and there are other things you need to do. That's why I asked. I just don't know. So if you run into any issues or just have questions about any step, please let me know the specifics so I can better assist you. Thanks. :)

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty for taking so much trouble but I am coming to a conclusion. Taking one of last points first that without updating my version of 1P/W '' I'll be hitting a wall'' It's asked me where I downloaded it from Mac store or Agile store. How would I know? It must be five years...
    Every step I try to take seems to confuse me.
    I am going to accept that I won't have 1P/W on my iPad. Comes the time when I have to recognise my limits.
    I really appreciate your efforts and kindness, but I am too computer illiterate to follow your guidance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks Brenty for taking so much trouble but I am coming to a conclusion. Taking one of last points first that without updating my version of 1P/W '' I'll be hitting a wall'' It's asked me where I downloaded it from Mac store or Agile store. How would I know? It must be five years...

@jonatha: Yep. I hear you. That's another reason why 1Password.com memberships are simpler: it doesn't matter in that case. You can use either, as the act of signing into your account tells the app you're good; there's no license or Apple ID involved. Otherwise the only advice I can give you is to open the app and look in the About box (from the 1Password menu at the top of the screen). That will tell you which version you have installed. But only you can know where you purchased it. You'll have an email receipt for that. It's not something I can determine for you.

Every step I try to take seems to confuse me. I am going to accept that I won't have 1P/W on my iPad. Comes the time when I have to recognise my limits. I really appreciate your efforts and kindness, but I am too computer illiterate to follow your guidance.

I'm sorry to hear that. I really think you can do it though, and we're happy to help in any way I can, so let me know if you give it another go. We're here for you. :)

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

That was fast...thanks so last try......You say "open the App " which App?...."look in the About Box" where's that?....."From the IP/W menu at the top of the screen"... ..not on my screen..... "Email receipt"...errr no....
    I don't think as kind and patient as you are Brenty you have any concept of Computer Illiteracy. It's an ugly word for me to say about myself.

• Ben
    Options

@jonatha,

I’ll try to answer your questions as directly as possible.

You say "open the App " which App?

1Password.

"look in the About Box" where's that?....."From the IP/W menu at the top of the screen"... ..not on my screen.....

Well, not if you don’t have 1Password open. :) If you open 1Password you’ll see the bar at the very top of the screen will change. On the far left you’ll see the Apple logo, and then imediately to the right of that it’ll say 1Password. Click on that, and then select the About 1Password option.

"Email receipt"...errr no....

Every time a purchase is made either from our store or from the Mac App Store an email receipt is generated and sent out... You should have that, unless you deleted it?

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha: I apologize. Some people are visual and some aren't. I thought you are the latter based on your comments about the video earlier, but I think that may have been an incorrect assumption. This is what I was referring to with opening the About box for 1Password:

Does that help? And seriously, that wasn't hyperbole: we're here for you and happy to help in any way we can. :)

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, never assume I follow your instructions. Now I have to advise you of my other failing, I am dyslexic. So understand I cannot find the page you have on screen with 1P/W on top left. I don't know where to look for it.....I can cope with my failings as I have absolutely no ego left as far as computers and it does not hurt anymore....

• Ben
    Options

@jonatha

It is at the very top of your monitor. The clock will be on the right hand side. It'll only be active if 1Password is open. The bar changes based on what app you are looking at.

Ben

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Ben, please understand I can't find the Bloody App....how do I open one password?? I don't wish you to think I am being rude, I just don't understand. I cannot humble myself anymore....You are, Ben, completely happy with computers, I am not and probably never will be on the same page or more likely on the same book.
    Lets leave it there, I don't believe you guys can explain it to me, but I fully accept it's my fault...

• Ben
    Options

@jonatha,

How have you been using 1Password up to this point? How do you normally interface with it?

Ben

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

When I log into Amazon I get the IP/W lock show up in the middle of Amazon's site. I click that and Amazon opens. When I click on other sites I click on the 1P/W lock. I do nothing more. I ask 1P?W to do nothing else. This is because Ben I don't think I would follow anything else.So "how do I normally interface with it?" Is that the same thing? I have tried to update it without success. I am on an old setting..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha: Ah, gotcha. You use 1Password primarily in the browser. A lot of people do, so that's nothing to be ashamed of. Try this:

1. Hold the Command () key on the keyboard and press the Spacebar to bring up Spotlight Search.
    2. Type "1password" into that search box in the middle of the screen.
    3. When you see the 1Password app listed there, select it with the arrow keys and press Return, or double-click it to open it.

Once you do that, you'll have the main 1Password window open and can access the menu referenced earlier:

Let me know how you get along. :)

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

.....When I press cmd and spacebar I get Siri ???

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonatha: Hmm. Are you maybe holding those keys down a bit long? You taught me something, as I didn't realize you could hold ⌘ and Space to bring up Siri!

Instead, try holding down the ⌘ key and then press Space once, instead of holding Space down. Does that help?

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Now I get 1Password in a square box with a list of videos available....I am going to power down leave it for a bit then try again........

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Did not work, got '"Siri again and Top hits" not the page you indicate.....

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

I was asked in the course of doing this to give a password to get back onto 1password site. I clicked onto the 1password keyhole to bring up my password for your site, it indicated i did not have a password for password...can this be true?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

@jonatha: If you searched Spotlight for "1password" and don't see it listed under "top hits", it may not be installed.

I was asked in the course of doing this to give a password to get back onto 1password site.

It sounds like you needed to sign into your account here on the forum. Is that what you mean?

I clicked onto the 1password keyhole to bring up my password for your site, it indicated i did not have a password for password...can this be true?

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but you won't have a password for a site in 1Password unless you saved it there first. Can you be more specific though?

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with 1Password at all. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum.

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Just to sort out your questions one by one bearing in mind the page you display is white writing on black background with blue top heading and from what I can see no mention of "Top hits" which is what I get and it is white background with black lettering.. I shall have a go at "screen shots" it will be a first and maybe take a little while. But you need to see it and understand where am if I am ever going to see the light at the end of this tunnel...

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Your first question is about Spotlight and top hits.....You never mentioned "top hits" before so I ignored it and did not search for "password"...I shall go back to it and find password. Please remind me then what I am trying to achieve and what is the next step.. I am sorry but my fog is thickening...

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

OK got there into top hits they are listed......... 1P/W 6.......1P/W trouble shooting......Skype P/W.....I Tunes P/W.....1P/W 6.8.8 Pkg...
    Which of these do I click on?

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

Next question ....I have no problem getting into the Forum and I am never asked for a password normally. If I am I log out and try again....going straight into forum. You suggest I go into screen shot I did and it said" This is a 404 error the requested URL was not found on this server, that's all we know" ...ok see my mistake, I clicked on Screenshot in your last answer...now I have highlighted what looks like a letter with the corner turned down.....I get two options 'Attach a file or drag and drop, or choose files none selected"
    I simply and pathetically have no idea how to do this....This must be hard for you to understand but I/We exist. Is it possible to simplify
    1P/W?. You have approached from another angle, you guys endeavour to simplify it and are extremely patient and friendly.
    Well done for what you do.....

• jonatha
    jonatha
    Community Member
    Options

This discussion has been closed.