Attach File

Options
jeffcrumpton
jeffcrumpton
Community Member

How do I attach a pdf to an item in 1Password for families?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:attach file

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @jeffcrumpton! Short answer: you don't. Longer answer: in 1password.com accounts, Attachments have been replaced by the Documents category. This has a number of benefits. Instead of a jpg or pdf being literally a part of (attached to) a given record and unsearchable/usable any other way, with a 1password.com account you can click the plus button and choose Document, then drag-and-drop or search for the file you want import. Once it's done, that file will have its own UUID, be searchable on its own, and - best of all - not be chained to a single 1Password entry. On any other record, you can choose "Link Existing" and locate the file you uploaded as a Document, so it can be linked to as many 1Password entries as you like. Or, you can choose "Add New File" from the 1Password item you want to associate with the file, then perform the upload, and it will be attached to that file -- but also available in the Documents category as its own item.

• jeffcrumpton
    jeffcrumpton
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I can definitely see benefits to this method. However, I don't see the "Link Existing". Can you tell me where to look.
    Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jeffcrumpton - Sorry. You'll need to click "Edit" first -- top right of the item in question.

• jeffcrumpton
    jeffcrumpton
    Community Member
    Options

My apologies, but I don't see "Link Existing" after clicking the "Edit" button. I've tried both the Windows app and 1Password.com

• @jeffcrumpton: Those are the two apps that don't have this function yet, sorry! 1Password for Windows will be be able to do this with 1Password 7, but 6.8 doesn't have it. If you have a Mac or an iOS device, you should be able to see this option there. :+1:

• jeffcrumpton
    jeffcrumpton
    Community Member
    Options

I still don't see the "Link Existing" even in the iOS version. When I click edit, I see a "related file" option, but when I select that option it takes me to my photos collection and there's no option that I see to browse for other files.
    Am I missing something?
    I just want to attach a PDF of my drivers license to my drivers license item.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jeffcrumpton: Sorry for the confusion! You can currently only upload an image as a Document in 1Password for iOS. You'll need to use 1Password for Mac if you want to link arbitrary items to each other. It's a feature we'll be bringing to the other apps too in the future though, so thanks for letting us know this is something you'd like us to add there! :)

• jeffcrumpton
    jeffcrumpton
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the follow-up.
    I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. It seems 1Password is going backwards, losing support for attachments, no support for Explorer or Edge and the plug in for Chrome feels sluggish and clunky.
    I've been a 1Password user for a long time and it's always been great until the conversion to the family version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jeffcrumpton: I'm not sure I follow your reasoning.

• 1Password hasn't lost attachments. They still work the exact same way they always did in local vaults.
    • 1Password for Windows version 6.7 and above supports Edge.
    • Microsoft isn't developing Internet Explorer any longer, so we don't think it makes any sense to build support for that (or any other obsolete browsers) ourselves.

If you're having trouble with Chrome, I'd like to hear more about that, as it isn't sluggish here at all.

I'll disagree about "clunky" too, but that's pretty subjective...so we can just agree to disagree. We're open to suggestions if you have any. Cheers! :)

• Bryan
    Bryan
    Community Member
    Options

Is "Link Existing" capability on the roadmap for 1password.com for teams?

The way your handling attachments is nice, but I really need the links to the docs, and I'm relying on 1password.com 100% of the time now (via chrome in linux). In the past I've been an OSX user too, but that's fading quickly and my current osx host just broke, so I hate to buy a Mac just for 1password use (the only thing I was using it for was to organize 1password vaults prior to it dying). I use windows too but gave up a long time ago on it's functionality with 1password app since 1password for teams came out which is very close in functionality to the Mac app (in windows I use 1password for teams via chrome as well). I also heavily use chromebooks, again just 1password.com for teams on that platform.

My opinion; focus all effort on 1password.com for teams/families. It takes the "platform" out of the equation, and the need for machine X or Y to access key private content, and thus eliminating all the variations across your apps for different platforms that have existed since day 1 with 1password just go away.

Thanks! 1password still the best app out there for managing private content, especially with 1password.com.

• Bryan
    Bryan
    Community Member
    Options

And in the mean time, is there a "work around" process to find a docs UUID somehow and then paste that UUID into another entries "related" field to create an associated link?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is "Link Existing" capability on the roadmap for 1password.com for teams?

@Bryan: We don't share roadmaps or internal development plans, but this is something we'll be bringing to all of the apps in the future.

The way your handling attachments is nice, but I really need the links to the docs, and I'm relying on 1password.com 100% of the time now (via chrome in linux). In the past I've been an OSX user too, but that's fading quickly and my current osx host just broke, so I hate to buy a Mac just for 1password use (the only thing I was using it for was to organize 1password vaults prior to it dying). I use windows too but gave up a long time ago on it's functionality with 1password app since 1password for teams came out which is very close in functionality to the Mac app (in windows I use 1password for teams via chrome as well). I also heavily use chromebooks, again just 1password.com for teams on that platform.

It sounds like you'd benefit from support for Documents in both 1Password X and the 1Password.com web interface then. The latter is more likely, as web technologies have come a long way, and we've already been able to add a lot of functionality there. I'm not sure that Documents are really a good fit for 1Password X though, and we do have to work with the browser's extension APIs...but perhaps we'll be able to do more there in time as well. :)

My opinion; focus all effort on 1password.com for teams/families. It takes the "platform" out of the equation, and the need for machine X or Y to access key private content, and thus eliminating all the variations across your apps for different platforms that have existed since day 1 with 1password just go away.

Something we've discussed, and certainly that would benefit you. But most people use and prefer to use the native apps where they can. These have been around a lot longer and so have the benefit of not only the added power of OS features, but also the often years of development that's gone into them. I'm not sure it would be wise to give up either of those benefits. Web apps just aren't at that level yet.

Thanks! 1password still the best app out there for managing private content, especially with 1password.com.

Likewise, thanks for the kind words, and for your support! I'm glad you're enjoying 1Password, and we've got even more good stuff on the way. ;)

And in the mean time, is there a "work around" process to find a docs UUID somehow and then paste that UUID into another entries "related" field to create an associated link?

That's an interesting idea, but there's no way to do this in the UI. UUIDs just aren't something most users need or want to deal with. We'll be adding support for linking across all version in the future though.

You may also be interested in the CLI app though. :)

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member
    Options

Go to the item, change it so you can edit it and then, there will be a field and section for attachments. Therein will be a field labelled something akin to “drag and drop” or “open to select file”. Once added, save and the file is accessible in a non-editable form, for all having access to the vault, to read.

• Ben
    Options

@BlackMacX

At present that option is only available in the 1Password for Mac client. The OP is using 1Password 6 for Windows and the 1Password.com web app.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, that's how attaching a file to an item in a local vault works. Adding a file to 1Password.com account is slightly different as they are separate Document items, but similar enough as far as adding them. Cheers! :)

• stantyan
    stantyan
    Community Member
    Options

Please implement this on 1Password.com! It is so dumb to say that you do have attachments functionality that allows attaching 'Documents' to other 1Password items, however, this works only on 1Password for Mac client. Seriously? We are paying users and we use many other operating systems, some of us using 1Passowrd.com only, and this is how you treat us?

• stantyan
    stantyan
    Community Member
    Options

Also, when you implement this feature across all systems please can you consider the following?

You can leave the Related items section, but an ability to "attach/link" files to respective fields in categorical/logical sections of a 1Password item is much needed. Otherwise, it's a mess when you have more than 2 files linked to an item.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stantyan: Thanks for your input. We'll continue to improve Documents over time. :)

• stantyan
    stantyan
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

I completely agree with ctpublic.I am a loyal 1Password paid user for quite a long time. I do realize like in any tech company they some do some sort of ICE or RICE (reach, impact, confidence, effort ) or similar feature development prioritization before implementing it, but rolling out such a lame UX for file attachments and not doing anything about for a year is sad. Yes, not many users utilize this file attachment feature but those who do are your most loyal users of 1Password. Think about it. Think about your NPS score as well.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @ctpublic! Thanks for the feedback.

The UX should be that I get to just add/attach a file to any form and you create a document automagically.

Like this?

I don't disagree that Documents needs some refinement, and I'll definitely pass along your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to share them. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ctpublic - well then you'll forgive me if I don't try to 'defend' it. ;) I appreciate your comments and will pass them along.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I actually often prefer 1Password for Windows since I can upload a lot of new Documents at once. But it totally depends on the use case, and I think that just illustrates how there's room for improvement across the board. Cheers! :)

• thomasoatman
    thomasoatman
    Community Member
    Options

@ctpublic Thanks for the great description
    I thought it was cumbersome enough in version 4.... I am very sad that it has become so abysmal now

@Lars That looks great !

I would also suggest allowing Drag/Drop and even more, Pasting of an image.
    I like to paste in screenshots for instance.
    And on the phone, I like to attach a new picture for inventory/insurance purposes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the great description I thought it was cumbersome enough in version 4.... I am very sad that it has become so abysmal now

Version 4 didn't support Documents -- or 1Password accounts at all. That's why we built the new stuff: more flexiblity. As Lars intimated, we see this as an opportunity, to make something that's useful to even more people. Thanks for providing your input on this! There's even more to come. :)

That looks great ! I would also suggest allowing Drag/Drop and even more, Pasting of an image. I like to paste in screenshots for instance. And on the phone, I like to attach a new picture for inventory/insurance purposes.

Drag and drop is a available for both adding Documents and moving items between vaults -- even creating one in the process. But hopefully we can do even more in the future.

1Password for iOS does support uploading images from the camera roll when creating a Document as well. Cheers! :)

• RyanE
    RyanE
    Community Member
    Options

Hi All,
    Ive spent a lot of time reading every post regarding attaching document in this forum. There is an even longer thread but I cant find it.

I really think the company needs to rethink the way it handles documents. I, like many people, here are really frustrated.
    I agree the new doc category is great! It works for many people storing things like contracts and alike for things that dont fall in the regular category. But it does not work for other items. Passports, drivers licenses, SIN cards, etc. I should just be able to add a photo and not need to double the number of items I have for my families' docs. When i search passport I shouldnt have to choose between the object with the photos or the one with the info. It should be easy and the current system is not. After reading everything it feels pretty obvious that having the ability to attach documents as well as linking to a document object would be a smart compromise.
    I know you want to stay flexible... I get it but there are also times for specific features to allowed for certain cases. the current solution has benefits but I cannot recommend this to all my friends to start loading there lives in to this tool when something as basic as attaching documents, something lass-pass and Bitwarden allow, isn't supported. Please consider supporting this feature and then in my mind this product reaches nearly all my needs as a tool to store important information safely.

• stantyan
    stantyan
    Community Member
    Options

+1 RyanE

I’m still waiting...

And please allow us to add files from cloud apps like drive or dropbox, not only selecting photos from gallery. We want to attach PDFs and some key files as well from the 1Password mobile app.

This discussion has been closed.