Synchronization via Dropbox.com with 2FA

mac1
mac1
Community Member

I’ve been downloaded from AppStroe on my iPhone 1Password.
I used sync from Dropbox which I log in to with 2FA. 1Password saved 10 files with the *.js extension to Dropbox in the Apps / 1Password / 1Password.opvault / default directory. And the questions: how can I read my content from Dropbox via Dropbox after logging into Dropbox, such as losing my iPhone or being stolen from me? I am asking for hints. I remember that once over 3 years ago when I was using Dropbox synchronization, it saved a file that I could open and read in the content of my 1Password vault in html.
And how is it now? How do I read * .js files? Please help or what should I change? I have a need to secure access to my passwords in the event of an iPhone being stolen.

1Password Version: 7.0.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @mac1,

To read your keychain in that type of situation the only solution we can offer is to install the 1Password app on a new device. The files 1Password saves in Dropbox are encrypted, and so you’ll need 1Password to decrypt them. That said, because our data format is open, 3rd party utilities do exist that can decrypt the data. I am not aware of any that run on iOS though, and our recommendation would be to only ever enter your Master Password into 1Password.

I remember that once over 3 years ago when I was using Dropbox synchronization, it saved a file that I could open and read in the content of my 1Password vault in html.

It used to be possible for 1Password to run inside of a web browser without going through a proper web server. With the changes in browser technology this is no longer possible. If you’d like web based access to your 1Password data you’d need to transition to a 1Password.com membership:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Ben

• mac1
    mac1
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,
    Thanks for your answer. Please also tell me is it possible to access my Dropbox's decrypted passwords (files) from my colleague's MacBookPro (he also has 1Password on Mac and iPhone)? How to do this? How do I upload *. js files to 1Password on MBP (Macbook Pro)?
    Best,
    mac1

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2018

Hi @mac1,

It would be possible, yes. What I would recommend would be to have your colleague create a new macOS user account for you on his Mac. From there you’d install Dropbox (if it isn’t already installed) and sign in. You could enable Dropbox’s selective sync feature so only your 1Password data is downloaded. Once your keychain is on the computer (you need the whole 1Password.opvault or 1Password.agilekeychain bundle, not just the JS files) you can launch 1Password and select the option to find your keychain in Dropbox. From there you’d unlock using your Master Password.

I would only recommend this if you trust your colleague and their device.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• mac1
    mac1
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,

Thank you very much. For my part, a few more questions to fully understand the topic and process.
    I trust my colleague:) A friend in his Mac has a 1Password sync on by Wi-Fi, Dropbox also has installed but does not use it to exchange data in 1Password. I understand that after creating a new macOS user account for me on the Mac, I can run 1Password and perform the sync there via Dropbox in this way obtaining data for my 1Password from my colleague's Mac?

Then my colleague can login again to his account and have access to his data on 1 Password? All these reflections were made in my head to protect myself from the loss or theft my iPhone.

• Yes. :) As with any backup plan it wouldn’t hurt to test it before you need it.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.