Two login screens

philorock
philorock
Community Member

I have a website that has two sequenced login screens, each with a username and password. The first login screen allows me to autofill my credentials and then use my one-time password with ease. When the second login screen appears after successfully navigating through the first, when I try to autofill, it is only able to autofill my credentials from the first screen and 1password doesn't know how to use the second user name and password that also I have on my login item.

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:two login screens

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@philorock - That's one we don't see a lot, and I don't think it's one we'll be easily able to fill. 1Password is great at navigating most login pages -- even ones spread over multiple pages. But there's not many sites for which you need two entirely separate usernames and passwords AND a TOTP code. In fact, I can't think of any others. Are you willing to share the URL with us here in public? If not, that's OK. But I'm curious as to what the story is there and it might help us figure out a way to navigate it, if we can test.

In general, when I have a website login page that's giving 1Password trouble, the first thing I'll do is try to re-save the login manually. Give that a shot, and see if it works (not saying it will, but it's worth a shot). Assuming that doesn't work, then the only other option for the immediate future may be for you to create two different login items. You said that 1Password fills the first page flawlessly (glad to hear it!), so it sounds as if the actual login form is something 1Password can handle -- just not two of them. You may have to use the item you already have saved for the first page, then save a NEW login item (perhaps using the manual method I mentioned), and call it something like example.com second page or whatever seems best to you.

• philorock
    philorock
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

Thanks, Lars for your help. And it really was pretty useful. I created the second login item for the webpage and not just switch to that and it works fine. FYI, I have never encountered that double password login before either. Idrive (cloud-based backup) uses it when I want to back up my NAS. I first have to log into a webpage with my server info and then use the idrive credentials for the second page. So two logins in tandem work perfectly! It's not as clean as a single item for the task, but no problem either.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update. Glad that Lars was able to help! It isn't super common for websites to complicate the login process this way, but it comes up enough that we have a guide for this kind of situation as well:

Sign in to websites with username and password split across multiple pages

It always baffles me though, as it's actually less secure, since getting to the second step tells an attacker that they've guessed the email or username correctly. Oh well. So long as we're using long, strong, unique passwords for each site, at least if an account at a site that does this gets compromised our other accounts won't. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.